Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 SSR, Smokin Asphalt with 800 miles on it. I want to up the performance and have looked at 3 options. Would like to hear others thoughts. First would be to put a Magnusson supercharger on the 5.3 liter. Next option would be to do an engine swap with a new LS-2 6.0 liter and perhaps a new tranny in the 04. Last option is to sell this 04 SSR and get an 06 with all the bells and whistles...6.0 liter with the 6 speed. Any thoughts on the best way to go?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Pilot 52,
The results that some of the guys are getting with the Magnusson supercharger on the 5.3 liter are impressive. I would sure consider that route before going to a more expensive option. Makes yours a bit of a stealth vehicle since no one expects a 5.3 to be that fast. Just a thought.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'd sell it with such low miles,..modified cars seem to almost always lose more value in the long run than an orig anyway.. or throw on a blower and whoop it..motor swap?? yikes:eek

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
I believe...

That there were substantial detail upgrades to the '05-'06 as to fit and finish, but I could be blinded by all that chrome.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
pilot_52 said:
I have an 04 SSR, Smokin Asphalt with 800 miles on it. I want to up the performance and have looked at 3 options. Would like to hear others thoughts. First would be to put a Magnusson supercharger on the 5.3 liter. Next option would be to do an engine swap with a new LS-2 6.0 liter and perhaps a new tranny in the 04. Last option is to sell this 04 SSR and get an 06 with all the bells and whistles...6.0 liter with the 6 speed. Any thoughts on the best way to go?

If you want to stick with the auto, keep the '04 and read all of this guys posts:
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/search.php?searchid=232037

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you are thinking about a motor swap, expand your thinking, get a LS7 crate motor!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Swapping engine AND trans will be expensive! Drive the Hell out of it so the resale loss won't hurt so much then get a 6 speed, drive the Hell out of it and when the engine has miles on it, swap in the 7 liter or have the 6 liter built like you want. Can you say "Lingenfelter"?

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Keep the 04 for a driver, and get a 06 with all the bells & whistles :jester to have more fun :reddevil

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
Test Pilot Drive

I would say test drive the SSR with the 6.0 and see if its worth the increase in HP for you to trade! Let me know what your opinion is after the test drive. :eek

·
Registered
374 Posts
pilot_52 said:

Did you just get the '04?

Depending on what you paid for the '04, I see only two reasonable choices from your list.

Trading up to an '06 has its merits -- there were improvements to the SSR moreso than just the LS2 and beefier transmission. Plus, you can get the chrome package and take advantage of the newer MY in value. Downside is dealers seem not to be giving as generous a discount on '06's, and you may take a bath on the 04 depending on what you paid for it.

Engine/trans swap is an extremely expensive way to go. Lingenfelter doesn't change out blocks, for instance, instead they bore out the LS2 to the displacement of the LS7. Oh, yeah, forgot, you don't have a LS2.

Less expensive and probably the best for you is to supercharg your '04, put money in transmission upgrades, coolers, gears, and maybe some internals for the engine (see Jim G's book).

Any way, have fun!

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,611 Posts
Fit and Finish Upgrades?

Big Blue Ox said:
That there were substantial detail upgrades to the '05-'06 as to fit and finish, but I could be blinded by all that chrome.
We all know that there were many options added for the 05 & 06 MYs including new door pannels and gauges etc. However would you please share in more detail where you got your information that says there was substantial upgrades to the fit and finish in the 05-06s?

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
hey pilot 52....Are you the one who I placed a Fanatic card on your Smokin Asphalt parked at the Shalimar Pointe golf course???

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Purple Penelope said:
hey pilot 52....Are you the one who I placed a Fanatic card on your Smokin Asphalt parked at the Shalimar Pointe golf course???

P/P

Peace:flag
Sorry..wasn't me..Havent had the 04 out of the barn much..time to get ridin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So where do I start with the supercharger route? Who has the best deals and installs them? Seeing lots of issues here with overheating problems...wont this approach just make this a bigger problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
:smash
pilot_52 said:
So where do I start with the supercharger route? Who has the best deals and installs them? Seeing lots of issues here with overheating problems...wont this approach just make this a bigger problem?

Just drove an 05, wasn't impressed. didn't seem / feel that much faster than my 04. My 04 just has the superchip, green filter and airaid. Going to keep my 04 and change the cam and add a blower. Cheaper than an 05, most likley faster.

My 2 cents worth.

BoomBoom SSR:smash

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Now that I am buying another...

Marc NY said:
We all know that there were many options added for the 05 & 06 MYs including new door pannels and gauges etc. However would you please share in more detail where you got your information that says there was substantial upgrades to the fit and finish in the 05-06s?
I said "believe" & "detail" changes, and I could be totally off base here. It is my understanding from press articles and salepeople talking ( I know, not the most reliable source) that GM tried to address squeaks and rattle issues, and how well everything sealed as far as leaks to. I really have no factual info that they did. I didn't have mine very long, as you know, but I didn't have some of the problems I have read about on the '03-'04 models.

If I am wrong, I am sorry to have mislead anyone. Like I said: "I could be blinded by all of that chrome."

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,611 Posts
More input thanks...

Big Blue Ox said:
I said "believe" & "detail" changes, and I could be totally off base here. .... that GM tried to address squeaks and rattle issues, and how well everything sealed as far as leaks to. ... but I didn't have some of the problems I have read about on the '03-'04 models.
Thanks for your clarification: Yes there had been some minor roof adjustments that had been made early on in production. There could have been some small leak issues; perhaps one issue could have been attributed to the roof molding. I noticed that my windows had sometimes been catching on the roof molding which would cause the molding to curl up when I closed my door. That was due in part to the auto "drop feature" which hadn't allowed the window to drop down far enough to clear the roof moldings when the door was closed. That turned out to be a very simple fix, by reprogramming the power windows it then allowed the windows to drop down far enough to eliminate that issue.

BTW: To address some interior noise levels the SSR engineers decided to add a little extra sound deadening material to the 05's to try to help minimize some of the cockpit noises.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Donnysan said:
Did you just get the '04?

Depending on what you paid for the '04, I see only two reasonable choices from your list.

Trading up to an '06 has its merits -- there were improvements to the SSR moreso than just the LS2 and beefier transmission. Plus, you can get the chrome package and take advantage of the newer MY in value. Downside is dealers seem not to be giving as generous a discount on '06's, and you may take a bath on the 04 depending on what you paid for it.

Engine/trans swap is an extremely expensive way to go. Lingenfelter doesn't change out blocks, for instance, instead they bore out the LS2 to the displacement of the LS7. Oh, yeah, forgot, you don't have a LS2.

Less expensive and probably the best for you is to supercharg your '04, put money in transmission upgrades, coolers, gears, and maybe some internals for the engine (see Jim G's book).

Any way, have fun!
Bought the 04 new...been in the barn most of the time. Just now looking to perk up the performance a bit....and exploring all the options. If you have any others than the 3 I listed, would like to hear about them.

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts

Gear ratio change and a performance tune with 93 octane fuel.

Actually this should be #1 with others to follow as time goes by.

Driving a Hot Rod
Skip

1 - 20 of 21 Posts