Chevy SSR Forum banner

Dim Dash Lights

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  GEO8 
#1 ·
My dimmer does function, but gauge dash lights seem dash?

Any ideas?

Can I go to LED, or is there a fix?

#2 ·
Most likely a few burnt out bulbs. If you haven't swapped out the stepper motors it would be a great time to do it as well since it would be easier to pull the dash one time.

Yes, either replace the burnt wheat style OEM bulbs or go LED. I as well as a few others here can do the work for you. There also might be someone local.

#5 ·
There are several bulbs on the circuit board for the speedo but brightness is subjective. I have owned 3 trucks and never had an issue but I do not see what you are seeing. If a few are burnt out it could cause your problem but as ssr3 mentioned, if you have not read the manual and adjusted them, try that first.

The stepper motors are small electronic devices that drive the needles. The 1999 through 2013 or so GM trucks had a factory problem that ended up being a recall. The needles will stick at an incorrect value. Example would be your speed shows 50 but you are going 70, gas shows full when empty, etc..... They are a heavy failure item, so if you pull the dash to swap lights it is the perfect time to install the upgraded steppers that have a better longevity. The steppers as well as the lights are soldered on the mother board, so unless you have a good adjustable soldering tool and have experience it is best to have someone else do the work. I have repaired quite a few boards that people thought they could do themselves and nearly ruined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.