Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SSR Believer
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to temporarily stop the roof from being lowered or raised (like pulling a fuse) without impacting other systems/functions on our '05? I would like the ability to disable it if we leave our R with someone to work on it.

TIA!

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Good idea for someone you haven't worked with before.
I would try to pull circuit breaker for roof. It might still unlatch but wont open and then you would have to hit close to relatch.
Give it a try, let us know.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
@richsadams

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
I looked at the diagram this morning
You would want to pull circuit breaker #2 in rear fuse box. This provides power for the hydraulic pump motor.
Do not remove Circuit breaker #1, it provides power to electric motors - (windows and roof latches)
I would have tried on my own SSR but had to move two cars to get it out of garage at this time so I could access the rear fuse box.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
You can pull UP relay and DOWN relay rear fuse box, upper left.

Both the same #, you won't even have to remember where they go.

Dicktator
Yes pulling the relays to operate the top would also disable the top ------- BUT not easily accessible

However NONE of the relays in the rear fuse box are for the top. They are: door lock, passenger door unlock, park light and rear defroster relay
The relays for the top are for up and down? - somewhat --- The are not referred to as up and down relays, My guess is because storage compartment lid cover lifts AND lowers during BOTH top up and top down commands, GM calls the relays for the pump motor "folding top motor left relay" and "folding top motor right relay".

AGAIN This is my guess why GM didn't call them up and down relays.

SEE picture number 1 ------ two of the highlighted boxes are the relays for pump motor (NOTE they did not list location!)
Picture #2 shows the location of the pump motor relays -- they are on top of the pump.
Circuit breaker #2 is top left of rear fuse box and is also highlighted in picture #1

MAYBE You are just confusing a circuit breaker for a relay???? I am not sure - because name also didn't match - I thought I would clarify
No disrespect intended.

SSR top wring highlighted 2.jpg
SSR top relays highlighted.jpg

·
SSR Believer
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@richsadams

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
I looked at the diagram this morning
You would want to pull circuit breaker #2 in rear fuse box. This provides power for the hydraulic pump motor.
Do not remove Circuit breaker #1, it provides power to electric motors - (windows and roof latches)
I would have tried on my own SSR but had to move two cars to get it out of garage at this time so I could access the rear fuse box.
Success! Removing the #2 circuit breaker in the rear fuse box disabled the retractable top function completely. Doing so didn't appear to impact any other functions or systems. (Both windows rolled up and down normally.) There were no DIC fault messages while the circuit breaker was removed or after it was reinstalled. After it was reinstalled everything worked normally.

So an easy way to keep others (mechanics, detailers, cleaning crew, etc.) from trying to impress their friends with how the retractable hardtop works when you're not around. Good for shipping as well I'd think.

Thanks very much @Autoprof and @Dicktator! (y)(y)

Hope this helps anyone that follows.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
@moscooter
Thank you for following up.
But i am surprised that if you tried to lower top it didn't set something on DIC. That part is an unexpected bonus.

Agree with your ideas on shipping, etc. But you might want a good detailer to lower top. So they can clean flipper panel and vacuum storage compartment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts