Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father is the owner of a new 2004 Slingshot yellow Chevy SSR. The car is fully loaded and even has a spoiler. About 700 miles have been put onto it. The car was bought about 2 months ago, maybe less and still looks as new as the day he purchased it from the dealership. Anyway, my dad just got a look at the new Aqua blurr 2005 SSR. He loved the color right away, much more than the yellow. We had no knowledge of this color existing/coming out when he bought his. So the car is not loaded like ours. No running boards, carpetting in the rearbed, saddle bags, cargo net, wooden slats, nothing at all. No extras in the least. They wanted $52,000 for the car out the door, which is what my father paid for his, not two months ago. My father talked to the salesman about what we would have t pay ,in difference, to trade his SSR for the 2005 aqua blurr SSR. The dealer came up with a figure about two hours later and asked us to come buy to see the figure. To our Disgust, the dealer said our car was only worth $34,000 to them and that the a trade for our car would run $17,000. He then said SSR's were hard to sell and blah, blah, blah. I would have been embarressed to come out and give that figure. To think that the value of that SSR was so little at the Dealers. When we got home we checked for our value of our SSR on the Kelly Blue Book. There is not even a listing for 2004 SSR's there yet. He just pulled it out of thin air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
The dealer was being straight with you. You can buy a brand new '04 SSR just like your dad's for about $34,000 with 0%/72 month financing.

The market is very soft for SSR's in general and the improvements with the '05 have really hurt sales of older models.

Check out some of the other threads here to see what I mean.

Vince
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,754 Posts
Price

Well maybe he is priced right on the trade but that means he is really over priced on the new truck. Get him to lower the price a good 10 grand or more on the new one. :boxing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
Kelly Blue Book

I had found out that dealers I was talking to don't use Kelly/Edmunds/NADA they now use an auction place (Manheim's or something like that). So even if Kelly Blue Book had a figure, the dealer would have offered you something like 2k+ under that number.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
Disgust at the dealer

George said:
My father is the owner of a new 2004 Slingshot yellow Chevy SSR. The car is fully loaded and even has a spoiler. About 700 miles have been put onto it. The car was bought about 2 months ago, maybe less and still looks as new as the day he purchased it from the dealership. Anyway, my dad just got a look at the new Aqua blurr 2005 SSR. He loved the color right away, much more than the yellow. We had no knowledge of this color existing/coming out when he bought his. So the car is not loaded like ours. No running boards, carpetting in the rearbed, saddle bags, cargo net, wooden slats, nothing at all. No extras in the least. They wanted $52,000 for the car out the door, which is what my father paid for his, not two months ago. My father talked to the salesman about what we would have t pay ,in difference, to trade his SSR for the 2005 aqua blurr SSR. The dealer came up with a figure about two hours later and asked us to come buy to see the figure. To our Disgust, the dealer said our car was only worth $34,000 to them and that the a trade for our car would run $17,000. He then said SSR's were hard to sell and blah, blah, blah. I would have been embarressed to come out and give that figure. To think that the value of that SSR was so little at the Dealers. When we got home we checked for our value of our SSR on the Kelly Blue Book. There is not even a listing for 2004 SSR's there yet. He just pulled it out of thin air.
George,

The dealer is unfortunately right on your dads 04. But he is way off on the price of the 05. I bought my aqua blur 05 two weeks ago fully loaded for $46,200 in Sarasota, FL. That's getting all of the dealers profit plus $700 of his holdback. Tell him to cram it and shop till you drop.

Regards,
Joe :)
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joe Schuhriemen said:
George,

The dealer is unfortunately right on your dads 04. But he is way off on the price of the 05. I bought my aqua blur 05 two weeks ago fully loaded for $46,200 in Sarasota, FL. That's getting all of the dealers profit plus $700 of his holdback. Tell him to cram it and shop till you drop.

Regards,
Joe :)

Thanks for all the feed back everybody. Guess I was just shocked at that appauling figure, but guess that is what a dealer would offer.

Just curious though, where are you guys getting SSR's for $32-33? That is low.
 

·
Enjoying life as it comes
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
There are a few 2004's up here in Wisconsin at the dealers selling for about 35k. They all have internet salesman so fire up the desktop and check around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Pricing

:eek Yes i agree with Grorge its pretty bad when you drive off the lot and the cost of depresaction it used to be said hey you no you drive that off of the lot you depricate 1,000 give or take well new times i guess cause now you drive off the lot it cost 10,000 to 15,000 some cases more WOW and were suppose to pass this great Product on to our neghibor sort of to speak how could anyone have the ----- to suggest to a freind in buying one only to throw away 15,000 well i can't i Love my SSR now as everyone see,s GM is asking for help and suggestions for marketing well for us that have 2003 or 2004 make it less financially embarrising to go to the Dealer and trade up for a new 2005 or if it happens a 2006 whatever then resale the 2003 and 2004 to new owners kinda of like away to get more people interested meanwhile the proud owners already having been the core of the SSR able to trade up as for me and i suppose someothers here its not possilbe to throw away 15,000 every couple of months so that makes the owners already of today set on there,s and the new looking to be owners more sketpical of buying so ya i think GM needs to do some restructing all the way around Service,Options,Pricing which leaves me to beleave the already owners are going to take the Hit for GM neglect to address these issues.So until this is resolved how can we people with a Heart suggest to our Loved ones family and freinds to take a hit like this i can't until someone gives as we all no ---- runs downhill and iam way down here lol help us GM do the call backs fix our little picky complaints with the hood and trunk lifts the clanging of Trans the cheap so called drink holders so on and on well theres my 2cents worth will wait for GM to contact me on a good trade in price for my UV 2004 so i can get more horses one day but alot has to chg before i make this jump again thanks for listening Doug. :yawn
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,665 Posts
Depreciation

Don't know what all the noise is about the drop in price. That big noise you heard when you drove it off the lot was DEPRECIATION - always been there. The only car I ever bought (new) was a 72 Volvo - it was like they paid me to drive it. As far as the SSR - the last thing on my mind was a long term investment - it was definitely short to mid-term FUN
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reason for the very high mark-up on the SSR's in my state must be the fact that we live in Hawaii. The car probably ran high on shipping costs and all the other incidentals that got tacked on. It's unfortunate but thems the brakes, I guess.
 

·
Original SSR Centerfold
Joined
·
3,146 Posts
If the market is still that high on new SSRs in Hawaii then resale should be higher than 35K on a private party sale. It seems the dealer is using a national average price for the trade in.
A couple suggestions. First see what the private sale market would be and if those numbers work go that route instead of trading it in.
Second would be find a good body shop and have them repaint the car. That would be a lot cheaper than the trade difference if all you are interested in is the new color.
Third would be keep the car and enjoy the heck out of it!!
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
George's resale value

George, I am sorry to hear about your problems at the dealer. I had the same response on my 2002 camaro (loaded 6 speed 4k miles z28 t-tops) they tried to give me 13k for it. And yes most dealers are using auction sites to gauge their prices. This is B.S. I feel your pain buddy. I build the ssr up here in michigan and I too see ssr's going for 34k all the time, only on 04's though. The main reason is the 05's engine ugrade and the 6 speed option. Don't feel to bad GM can only do so much right now their hands are tied because they signed a deal with ASC to help build parts and design some of the ssr, Gearge it doesn't stop here the 06 is going to have a lot of upgrades also. But if you have an 03 ssr hang on to it thats the one that will be worth some money down the road.
And yes the aqua blur color change should have been posted but guess what we are trying out a new color as we speak just started running it this week for a trial run. Bet they will not announce this one either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,287 Posts
Hey, Jim

Welcome - but I hope your honest opinions don't lead to a witchhunt in Lansing trying to find out who is giving out this info. I can just see the upper echelons sending someone in at night looking for unauthorized info leaving on one of their computers


I hope they note you haven't revealed the new color choice for next year, but I sure hope it's candy apple red
I love my 03, and the serial number doesn't hurt either.

If they do offer candy apple redI hope it'll make it to 07 - just in case you do go ahead with the rumoured big power plant - can you give us some insider bits on that without revealing the full meal deal?

Ray
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,287 Posts
Speaking of problems with ASC - again I love my SSR, but the one thing that is driving me crazy is the inability to get the tonneau cover (the part that hides the top) to line up properly with the rear lid.

It snagged the rear deck lid on its way up initially, and with some help from Freezer diagnosing the problem, and a dealer willing to order parts, we finally got a new set of hinges that allowed the lid to go up vertically before tilting back. That solved the problem with the lid snagging, and it now goes up very well, with only the occasional time out problem. So I'm happy with that.

It was lined up fairly well with the old hinges, in fact a bit too low, probably adding to the snagging problem. We were able to get one side to line up fairly well, but from the center through the other corner, the lid stays about 1/4" higher than the rear deck lid.

They guy at the dealership did his best, and I've been putzing with it off and on for the last three months - tried playing with the height adjusters on one side, even dabbing them with paint to see at what point they would contact the lid. Tried going lower, higher, but nothing seems to change it. I'm about ready to pull out my Dremel, and oval the locating holes for the hinges on that side, to see if lowering the whole hinge mechanism will help. Looks like the bolt holes would allow a bit of adjustment, but there is a locating pin for the hinge that prevents any up/down movement.

Bought the full service manuals, but even with 100+ pages on the top, no mention that I could find on how to adjust the hinges for height.

If you have any thoughts on how I can do it, or who to contact for some help, I would be very grateful.

I even thought of putting it in my car hauler, and taking it back to Lansing to see if anyone there could do something for me - but the 4 days of driving each way make that a little impractical.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Ray
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dingbat said:
If the market is still that high on new SSRs in Hawaii then resale should be higher than 35K on a private party sale. It seems the dealer is using a national average price for the trade in.
A couple suggestions. First see what the private sale market would be and if those numbers work go that route instead of trading it in.
Second would be find a good body shop and have them repaint the car. That would be a lot cheaper than the trade difference if all you are interested in is the new color.
Third would be keep the car and enjoy the heck out of it!!

LOL, I never would have thought of that. Repainting doesn't seem too shabby an idea.... ;)
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
jimjacks7 said:
George, I am sorry to hear about your problems at the dealer. I had the same response on my 2002 camaro (loaded 6 speed 4k miles z28 t-tops) they tried to give me 13k for it. And yes most dealers are using auction sites to gauge their prices. This is B.S. I feel your pain buddy. I build the ssr up here in michigan and I too see ssr's going for 34k all the time, only on 04's though. The main reason is the 05's engine ugrade and the 6 speed option. ***[/Edit]***

George it doesn't stop here the 06 is going to have a lot of upgrades also. But if you have an 03 ssr hang on to it thats the one that will be worth some money down the road.
And yes the aqua blur color change should have been posted but guess what we are trying out a new color as we speak just started running it this week for a trial run. Bet they will not announce this one either.


Yeah, those used car dealers are something else sometimes. We went back and forth between dealers for near three weeks looking for a new car a year back. IT was, to say the least, mentally exhausting trying to punch numbers with these people. It's like in the movies where a cop is grilling a suspect for hours on end trying to get information out of them. :skep

On a side note, though, We have a 2004~
 

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
Joined
·
8,541 Posts
Hawaii

Hey George,

Hawaii, one of the most "beautiful" places on earth! I was going to ask you if you have taken any photos that show the great breathtaking landscapes in your wonderful state of Hawaii. *hey include some of your SSR in the foreground too* ;)

My wife and I traveled there on our Honeymoon. Saw three beautiful islands and we plan on returning some day for a 2nd Honeymoon trip.
:)
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top