Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that has purchased S/E's Rear Cross member and Frame stiffener regret doing it or trying to their self. I'LL be using jack stands and crawling under. Like to do as much maintenance myself as I can. Ordering parts 1st of Feb. Thanks, Robert

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,224 Posts
Easy, peasy just remember that the existing mounting holes need cleaned and chashed.
I just used the correct bolt and wd 40 ran it in and out several times
:agree :agree

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,005 Posts
Anyone that has purchased S/E's Rear Cross member and Frame stiffener regret doing it or trying to their self. I'LL be using jack stands and crawling under. Like to do as much maintenance myself as I can. Ordering parts 1st of Feb. Thanks, Robert
The 4-bolt crossmember can be installed easily without jacking the truck up. Just put a pad down on the cold floor and you will be fine. Like Roger said..... "easy-peasy".....

To install the front stiffening plate, you will need to put the front of the truck up onto jack stands or use a lift....

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
992 Posts
Simple Engineering provides high quality parts and support (period). No regrets.

I did both the Simple Engineering plate stiffener and LC32 front cross member at the same time, so I cannot speak to them independently. I did it on four jack stands. At the time Simple Engineering didn’t have the rear crossmember, so I have the Trailblazer rear crossmember. If Mike had the rear at the time, I would have bought it and still will, after I finish my planned tour of other upgrades.

What I noticed immediately was less “head shake” over bumps and less interior panel creaking as everything was tied together more rigidly. The front end will seem more planted. I was very pleased. I progressed later to larger stabilizer bars and new Bilsteins from Simple Engineering as well. I should have done the shocks sooner, they are transformative.

Why did I do the cross member and the stiffener at the same time? My philosophy is to do it once right and be done. I then don’t have to wonder, should I have done ______ too? (I’m told I over analyze things). Plus, when you do the stiffening plate, the cross member is staring you in the face. The parts are complimentary. They fit and work well together. The crossmember would be required to swap the pan out for a rear sump later on... Which is likely in the plans, so I’m keeping my options open (more analysis). Lastly you’ll read various opinions about when to get the alignment done (or not) when doing various upgrades, and doing it all at once simplified the equation. Use Dictator’s specs. Side note: I had the alignment touched up after I did the shocks and radiator support (just to be sure).

If I had to choose one component first, it would be the stiffening plate.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,527 Posts

·
High Plains Roadster
222 Posts
I put the SE 4-bolt cross member in last month.

It was very easy. Yes, you should clean the open bolt holes but their condition depends on how your SSR has been treated over the years. Mine were quite clean and needed minimum prep.

To make it even easier, I had my son do one side while I did the other just to give him a bit of experience.

Having been working the past two years on a fixing up a 49 Ford, the SSR is like working on a space ship!

·
Super Moderator
13,908 Posts
The frame used on the SSR was pre-drilled for the 4 bolt crossmember MikeinAZ offers
As earlier stated 2 of the unused drill holes on the SSR have had a decade plus to corrode

It is easy to clean the 4 bolt holes for an easy 4 bolt trail blazer cross member install - just a bit annoying GM saved the cost of 2 bolts to put the totally useless single tube cross member.
I guess over 24000 vehicles the bean counters see it as a win
Those same bean counters decided it was an intelligent decision to destroy almost 20 top end SSR's just to test new floor boards and a couple dash light implementations for MY 2007
This hardly required the destruction of entire vehicles - except I guess they needed to test things on the assembly line

Guess I am sort of venting a personal opinion on GM waste vs GM saving

1 - 8 of 8 Posts