Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me that Modified SSR's are likely to lose their intrinsic value a LOT quicker than a stock un-molested Roadster..Wrecks and wear will take a large toll..but flames and blowers, etc.. plus other strange stuff would ruin the originality. Mine's very close to what rolled out of the craft center stock and going to stay that way...A little bird tells me to leave well enough alone. Ultimately the most valuable Roadsters will be basically low mile un-modified examples.. Those GM designers got it pretty close to perfect anyway:lol:rolleyes: :leaving Let the War begin..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mint condition may be worth a lot in 20 years, but I will be dead by then, so I am going to enjoy mine now. Bring on the horsepower!!:jester :) :)

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I'm sure you're right, but if I paid my hardearned $$ for it I am going to enjoy the hell out of it, whatever that may entail! :eek :lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
You're Right,But...

The solution is simple. Buy two, keep one stock and modify the other one. If enough people do that, you won't have to wait 20 years to see a value increase on the stock rocket you've been keeping the dust off in the garage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Festus said:
The solution is simple. Buy two, keep one stock and modify the other one. If enough people do that, you won't have to wait 20 years to see a value increase on the stock rocket you've been keeping the dust off in the garage.
:agree but my garage is full and my bank account is empty.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,830 Posts

Another way to look at it.
If you like to modify, you can and still save your “stock value”
You can change things, keep the factory parts and put them back on later. I have changed floor mats, pedal covers, steering wheel, and hood and stored the factory; all which will be in better shape than yours in 20 years do to your normal wear. I’m going to get a set of E-bay running boards to mod and save the factory. On and on, I have a spare bumper cover to customize and looking for tailgate and another cargo lid to paint. You can swap out the whole engine. Go ahead eat your cake and have it to. I may never go back to stock. And if I do not, these stock parts I’m saving will not drop in price. ( by the way that back bumper cover should be mine in two days.... pleaseme69)

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
Steering Wheel :eek ??? Inquiring minds want to know, show me ! I thought the 3 spoke concept wheel looks alot better than the 4 spoke. I also thought about purchasing another tailgate to modify but, they are $1300 from the dealer.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,830 Posts

Factory wheel off e-bay I think it was $40 with paint delamination, but repaint mother of pearl effect on it. Michigan bone yard has tail gates for $750 ( yellow or red) I'm still looking.

Now CASHSAX: to support your stand on stock is where it’s at …. Just look at our smart leader who has had corvettes in the past …… Marc NY will not even put a windsupreSSR on his silver gowned lady, that man is pure G.M.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Drive it

CashSax said:
Seems to me that Modified SSR's are likely to lose their intrinsic value a LOT quicker than a stock un-molested Roadster..Wrecks and wear will take a large toll..but flames and blowers, etc.. plus other strange stuff would ruin the originality. Mine's very close to what rolled out of the craft center stock and going to stay that way...A little bird tells me to leave well enough alone. Ultimately the most valuable Roadsters will be basically low mile un-modified examples.. Those GM designers got it pretty close to perfect anyway:lol:rolleyes: :leaving Let the War begin..
I've owned my very rare (1 of 647 built and 1 of 4 one-owner) Mustang (see below) for 37 friggin' years without driving it -- it ain't a lot of fun. It's now worth six figures (but so is my house but I got to live in it in the mean time). If I would have stuck the $3,800 purchase price in a conservative mutual fund in 1969, I would be a millionaire!!! :cry Instead, I've paid insurance, license and maintenance costs for the car for all of these years and my garage has been unusable. Its not about the money. Forget about the collector car concept for the SSR, 24,000 copies are too many to make this truck valuable in a lifetime. :nono

Drive it, modify it, caress it, enjoy it, take care of it, life's too short... :seeya

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,830 Posts

Rodnut how did the rubber parts hold up, seals, tires, weather-stripping. Can they hold their life that long or do they still need to be replaced anyway?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Rubbers

Everything that is not painted metal deteriorates badly in 37 years. My 'stang is an original, unrestored car. It even has the original tires on it. Over the years, I have replaced nearly all exposed soft materials, except the door & window seals and the interior. All of the running gear has remained intact (no leaks). No matter how much you try to keep the car perfect, it just falls apart before your very eyes. I just keep massaging it... its a beauty (yellow, just like my SSR).:smash

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Do Mods affect value?

YOU BET THEY DO THE MORE MODIFY YOUR SSR IS THE BIGGER THE SMILE ON YOUR FACE. INJOYING THE RIDE IS THE BEST VALUE YOU CAN GET FOR ONE.:) If you hope to make money off your SSR in 20 to 30 years:cry :cry :cry is all your going to get.:mad

·
Chevrolet Nut
1,422 Posts
stock or modified

I have been down this road many times. It seems to me a vehicle is only worth what some body is willing to pay for it, now or twenty years from now. Since I startted working and modifying cars and trucks over the past thirty some years, there is always been the regret on some of my past vehicles that I wish I would have left them alone. Others modifications really didn't make a whole heck of a lot of difference one way or the other. As far as my :ssr SSR I will only modify it to some degree and keep all original parts that I remove for future reference. I have a few oher toy's to play with anyway. My wifes 66 Chevelle, My dailydriver 65 C10 Chevy pick up , My 71 SS Pro street Camaro, and my our first new car we bought together a 80 Z28 camaro that she drives daily. All of these vehicles have been modified to some extent, some mild some wild. This all seems to be personal preference's to whoever owns them.:cool

autodan (Dan & Phyllis)

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Modify

I gave it a lot of thought. I'll be dead in 10 years and my SSR is already worth a lot less than I paid for it. So I'm going to modify it to exactly what I want it to look like, feel like and drive like.
If I see 10 SSR's parked in a row I will sure know which one is mine.
When I get done this Spring I'll post pics.
Paint and wheels are done, leather this spring, hood's on the way and next April a Magnacharger!!

Mike :jester

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
mcvett2 said:
YOU BET THEY DO THE MORE MODIFY YOUR SSR IS THE BIGGER THE SMILE ON YOUR FACE. INJOYING THE RIDE IS THE BEST VALUE YOU CAN GET FOR ONE.:) If you hope to make money off your SSR in 20 to 30 years:cry :cry :cry is all your going to get.:mad

:agree

1 - 20 of 36 Posts