Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a call from a Fanatic this morning requesting information on what to tell the tow truck driver for tying down his SSR with a flat. (Retired, just woke up, no coffee) I don't think I gave the best information after looking on the forum. So I did some research and this is the best I could find, it is from a post from RiverRat.

, "I just spent quite a bit of time under the R last week while installing Dick's shift cable kit and Greg's corvette servo. Since I'm planning on trailering the truck in the near future, I've been conversing with Kay (Furykay) on the tie down locations. Inspecting the large somewhat rectangular hole that whaines944 and coolssr refer to reveals that it is not reinforced and I think it could be easily damaged as well. From my understanding with Kay, the proper tie down location is the smaller slot a little further toward the rear and is meant for use with T-hooks. This slot has extra reinforcing plates welded around that opening. There are similar slots in the frame about 1.5 feet in front of the rear wheels, but the rear axle or the trailer hitch would be easier to tie to. "
Attached Thumbnails For Pictures and post go to post # 21 https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f4/frame-damage-tie-downs-60422/#/topics/60422

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,738 Posts
Most of the towing outfits use wheel straps these days, including the Companies delivering to the dealerships. This would be the way to go rather than J or T hooks put in the wrong place.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,887 Posts
I had a call from a Fanatic this morning requesting information on what to tell the tow truck driver for tying down his SSR with a flat. (Retired, just woke up, no coffee) I don't think I gave the best information after looking on the forum. So I did some research and this is the best I could find, it is from a post from RiverRat.
]
Most of the towing outfits use wheel straps these days, including the Companies delivering to the dealerships. This would be the way to go rather than J or T hooks put in the wrong place.
Now I'm "kornfuzed"!! Are we talking about 2 different things?!? Tie down for transporting or where the Rollback Tow driver hooks his cable to the frame to pull it onto the bed?!? I thought the tears in the frame, which my '06 had a small one when I got it, was from pulling the SSR onto the bed of a Rollback. This thread and a similar one last week got me wondering so I printed some of the pictures, posted in the past, to put in the console just in case. Fortunately I've never had to use one but I don't see how any of the holes could be used without the cable hitting the bottom of the front fascia or in one picture the tie rods.

Nick

·
Daily Driver
8,976 Posts
I had a call from a Fanatic this morning requesting information on what to tell the tow truck driver for tying down his SSR with a flat.
Now I'm "kornfuzed"!! Are we talking about 2 different things?!? Tie down for transporting or where the Rollback Tow driver hooks his cable to the frame to pull it onto the bed?!? I thought the tears in the frame, which my '06 had a small one when I got it, was from pulling the SSR onto the bed of a Rollback. This thread and a similar one last week got me wondering so I printed some of the pictures, posted in the past, to put in the console just in case. Fortunately I've never had to use one but I don't see how any of the holes could be used without the cable hitting the bottom of the front fascia or in one picture the tie rods.

Nick
I was going by "tying it down" hence the wheel straps.

But I remember someone had their frame ripped pretty good by grabbing a hole in the frame with the winch hook and the discussion resolved they are supposed to use a T-slot thingy back almost behind the front wheel.
I agree I don't see how it could be winched on without screwing up the front fascia.
Every time but once when I had to rollback, it was driven on. Even with a flat tire I would vote for driving on.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,804 Posts
I was going by "tying it down" hence the wheel straps.

But I remember someone had their frame ripped pretty good by grabbing a hole in the frame with the winch hook and the discussion resolved they are supposed to use a T-slot thingy back almost behind the front wheel.
I agree I don't see how it could be winched on without screwing up the front fascia.
Every time but once when I had to rollback, it was driven on. Even with a flat tire I would vote for driving on.
When mine was pulled on, because it died due to the Fuse Box issue, they used the T-slot and I think the cable came off the bottom of the winch drum and over a roller at the bed level. I know it did not hit the air dam or anything above it.

·
Daily Driver
8,976 Posts
That's surprising as the cable drum is up in the front of the bed and raised up in the air when the bed is tilted. The T-slots are front and back of the front wheel.
I think it was Freezer who suggested using the one behind the wheel.
It's hard for me to picture that cable not hitting the front fascia, especially on a lowered truck. :confused

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Maybe this should have been under "What did you do with your SST today" folder but it was Tuesday morning about 6:30 when I called Jack for advice. Fortunately I was able to drive up onto the rollback so there was no real pulling. Pat

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,887 Posts
Maybe this should have been under "What did you do with your SST today" folder but it was Tuesday morning about 6:30 when I called Jack for advice. Fortunately I was able to drive up onto the rollback so there was no real pulling. Pat
Pat, this is a good place for it. DRIVING on would be ideal, but I think it is a good topic to discuss!! Just for kicks I may look for a Rollback to see how the cable is routed on the bed. Maybe the cable runs under a Drum/pulley at the back end to keep it flat and low in line with the end of the bed??

Nick

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,304 Posts
A knowledgeable tow operator will run the winch cable thru a snatch block/guide pulley hooked into one of their t slots at the tail of the roll off bed. That will give a level or slightly downward pull until the front wheels are on the deck. Then the block can be unhooked/removed and the vehicle pulled all the way on. For vehicles with front deflectors/splitters, often need extender ramps or 2x wood blocks to prevent splitter scraping on deck before front wheels contact tail of bed. Point is you need a knowledgeable operator that gives a crap........

·
Daily Driver
8,976 Posts
Maybe this should have been under "What did you do with your SST today" folder but it was Tuesday morning about 6:30 when I called Jack for advice.
No problem, it's discussion we should have so we don't have to call someone at 6:30 AM... or 2:30 AM.

Pat, this is a good place for it. DRIVING on would be ideal, but I think it is a good topic to discuss!!
:agree

A knowledgeable tow operator will run the winch cable thru a snatch block/guide pulley hooked into one of their t slots at the tail of the roll off bed. That will give a level or slightly downward pull until the front wheels are on the deck. Then the block can be unhooked/removed and the vehicle pulled all the way on. For vehicles with front deflectors/splitters, often need extender ramps or 2x wood blocks to prevent splitter scraping on deck before front wheels contact tail of bed. Point is you need a knowledgeable operator that gives a crap........
Yes, and the better we understand what should be done, the better to know if Bubba knows and gives a crap.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
When I brought my R back from California to Oklahoma I used t hooks in the factory reinforced slots and straps going to d rings on my trailer routed with no strap contact on the undercarriage between the t hook and the d ring. No issues with hundreds of miles done. Plan to use this method always when trailering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts