Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
About once a week I run it through and blow the dirt off it if I am out that way, There is a place that hand washes but seems most the time I am to lazy to wait while they wash it

M

·
0 Posts
NO!! NEVER!! I do all the washing. I would never let them touch it and most likely scratch something. If anyone is going to scratch something it better be me that did it.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Irony . . . .

Although I prefer to wash my own truck (always thought car washes were for the absolute laziest people in the World), nowadays with my busy schedule I sometimes take her to a HAND WASH ONLY car wash. I get the least expensive ($13 straight wash).

The irony, of course, in my neighborhood (I'm just leasing, I can't afford to live here) a $50k truck is frequently the least expensive vehicle being washed. Usually has a flock of Mercedes, Lamborghinis, Beamers, Bentleys, Ferraris, Hummers, Jags, Vets, etc. beinge washed at one of three places that are always busy doing 100s of cars an hour.

I've always found them knowing exactly what they are doing. And they actually do a pretty good job for $13 with $2 tip ! ! Hand wash, towel dry, vacuum, sidewalls, polish chrome, apply liquid wax as they go, completely wipe down interior, including in between the station selectors on the radio, squirt "leather" scent in the carpet, etc. I'm very pleased. But then I bring in one dirty dirty truck ! ! :rolleyes:

When its time for an oil change, I get the wash FREE . . . . :confused

Gary (WearyEagle)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yes....no brushes, no rags....."American Pride" Laser wash and "Jet Dry"....then I hand dry the few tiny water beads left and hit the road!

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Nope

Do you ever take your SSR to a car wash?
Negative! (In fact when I had a second garage constructed on my property, I also had a 20x60 concrete pad poured - just for my 'hand wash' area!)

I also HIGHLY recommend getting a few white 100% cotton terry cloth towels (THE GOOD ONEs - $$$) for drying - works great - no scratching...

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Yes I do.... I used to pay the $20 for the hand wash, but that place was far away.
Too many people told me I need to wash my truck and it is my only choice at this time. Plus the auto wash gets the under side clean as well.

Sorry if I offended any other owners :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Of Course All the Time

Of Course, I take it to the car wash all the time. I have it hand washed and waxed. No machines and no brushes.

They do a fantastic job. It does cost a pretty penny though. They was the mats as well as the clear protective mats that I have. They apply Lexor to all the leater surfaces and to the dash. The put armorall or similar on the tires and have it looking spectacular!

They only difference between the way I do it and the way they do it is that I am not as fast as they are. However, they are just as thorough.

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

·
Registered
407 Posts
i thought our tires were too wide for a car wash track. i only use my driveway or a manual place to give her a good soap and spray.

·
Registered
88 Posts
pretty much have to..

I don't have a driveway, so a car wash is the most practical alternative. Hand wash or touchless only. Parking on the street, I can't wash my truck without washing the neighbor's vehicles also... Parking in the back yard under the carport I'd flood the alley and have to drive through it in my clean truck.

V

·
0 Posts
Car wash

1. Get two 5 gallon buckets from the hardware store
2. Fill one with un-softened water
3. Fill the other with 3 gallons of water and your choice of shampoo/carwash
4. Use a boar's hair brush. Unlike towels, mitts, etc, it will pull grime, dust, etc off the surface of the car. Swirl marks and scratches come from both the implement AND the dirt removed.
5. When done with a section, rinse your brush in the clean water.

drying--if you are in a hurry (shame on you) you can drive it to the store and blow the water off. Highway speeds are usually required.

Better plan,

1. Use a California blade (looks like big squeegee) to run the beaded water off.
2. Use a microfiber towel, chamois, or your favorite drying tool. You can use a high lubricity post-wash spritz to rub out water marks, etching or other imperfections.

**it helps if you clean the wheels first! Don't use waxes/shampoos on the rubber tires.

15 minutes to wash, 15 minutes to dry, when you get your system going.

Vaquero

1 - 20 of 21 Posts