Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:grin2:

Hey, along with other stuff, I got both saddlebags with my SSR. We kinda had to cram all these extra things including a spare tire, etc. in the back and thus we pulled out the bottom liners in the bags and this allowed them to be folded (kinda).

Now, I'm thinking of installing them and I do not like that the front section has seemed to "warp". What have others used to build a interior framework to keep the bags looking as they should.

Also, the only other thing missing regarding the bags is this short (female end) of a plastic snap and short section of strap. I have both for one bag, but only one for the other.

It looks just like this one.

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
Thanks to one of the members loaning me one of their short buckle and tab pieces, I had a handful of those flat ABS plastic tabs made. They don't have the strap and buckle attached, but........ If you have the shoulder-carry straps that should have come with each of the saddle bags, you can cut one of the shoulder straps and have it sewn onto one of my tabs.

If you want me to send one of the plastic tabs, please email your address to me and I'll get one to you. Send the email to [email protected]. I'll just toss one in an envelope......

Regards,

Mike

·
Tech Support/Research
1,702 Posts
Saddle Bag Buckle

Still would like to find one more of these buckle pieces like the pic above.
You might have to search for parts to make that missing saddle bag buckle yourself. I'd suggest starting by looking for the properly sized buckle and strap from a backpack, lunch bag, camera bag, piece of luggage, etc. and fabricating the hold-down part from a piece of flat ABS plastic. Maybe a store specializing in outdoor equipment (large ones are Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops or Dick's Sporting Goods) would have a strap with a buckle to match what you are looking for.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to one of the members loaning me one of their short buckle and tab pieces, I had a handful of those flat ABS plastic tabs made. They don't have the strap and buckle attached, but........ If you have the shoulder-carry straps that should have come with each of the saddle bags, you can cut one of the shoulder straps and have it sewn onto one of my tabs.

If you want me to send one of the plastic tabs, please email your address to me and I'll get one to you. Send the email to [email protected]. I'll just toss one in an envelope......

Regards,

Mike
You might have to search for parts to make that missing saddle bag buckle yourself. I'd suggest starting by looking for the properly sized buckle and strap from a backpack, lunch bag, camera bag, piece of luggage, etc. and fabricating the hold-down part from a piece of flat ABS plastic. Maybe a store specializing in outdoors equipment (large ones are Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops or Dick's Sporting Goods) would have a strap with a buckle to match what you are looking for.

Good Luck.
Mike,

Thanks................I have sent you an email.
Snomun.............Thanks............I think you're right, I should be able to come up with a match somehow via one of these avenues.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
" If you have the shoulder-carry straps that should have come with each of the saddle bags, you can cut one of the shoulder straps and have it sewn onto one of my tabs."

Bingo, you are right. inside the bags are straps rolled up in rubber bands. When you send me the little plastic piece, I can have one of these buckle parts sewn to it. Thanks again.

Another curious question regarding these bags..................The long slender "zippered" compartment at the top of each bag.............Were they originally meant for a particular (thing) to go in there or just added additional storage??

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, Mine did same thing.

Here is what I did, only did it 9 yrs ago and still like new.

Dicktator
:smile2:
Damn.................I've got a lot of specialty tools, but you are the first I've seen with an air assisted tool like that.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Several years ago I found the buckles at JoAnns Fabric store. At that time I made replacement tabs out of a vinyl binder. Recently two of them I torn so I created new replacements out of some scrap heavy leather.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,278 Posts

Another curious question regarding these bags..................The long slender "zippered" compartment at the top of each bag.............Were they originally meant for a particular (thing) to go in there or just added additional storage??
That's where you put your door show bars..... Talk to Mike... Cha Ching ..... >:)

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A few ideas for retaining the shape of the soft saddle storage bags are here:

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/soft-saddle-bag-fix-162209/
:|
OK, I went with the 1/4" aluminum channel trick (along with the black duct tape) on it for better looks. That did indeed straighten out the bag (itself) sagging.

However, one of my lids wants to warp too. So, I'm experimenting with narrow strips of velcro between the bag lid straps to hold the warpage down. Seems to help until I try to raise the lid and my velcro strips come loose. May have to resort to extra glue of somekind to hold the velcro strips on bottom side of lid and also top edge of bag.

Meantime, another highly aggrevating (to me anyway) problem is the "hassle" of the plastic buckles themselves. They all fit tight and are extra hard to squeeze the sides and get them unhooked as they fit very tightly.

I'm considering (once I get the velcro to hold in place), just cutting off those damn straps since it's so annoying to unbuckle each one.

Here is a similar (buckle hassle) that I had a few yrs ago with my Road King. In this case, the bag lids are hard, so I eliminated the strap/unstrap hassle by just mounting the straps on the side...........but they no longer have anything to do with holding the lids in place. Just flop open and flop closed........an NO, the wind at speed does not effect the lids remaining closed.:smile2:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts