Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A strong "shuddering" event going on inside the vehicle when driving at speed with only one window down? (doesn't matter which one) It seems like all kinds of air pressure things are going on to rattle the headliner piece, and perhaps the flipper panel inside the top storage compartment. It makes for a most unpleasant ride.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes, I have the same shuddering with my 05.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, seems like the shuddering is common. But what about the noises of loose things, like headliner and possible flapper panel?

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,210 Posts
Flutter Noise

The flipper door should not flutter. It has hydraulic pressure holding it inplace on rubber stoppers.

My guess would be the vents inside the storage area. There are two vents (one on each side) that are supposed to relieve pressure in the cabin. If the air coming in, is faster than it can travel out, then this will cause a fluttering action and noise. Your roof panels may also be loose. Have them checked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My guess is your SSR is burping!!! With one window down and air moving over the opening at high speed, the air pressure in the car is slightly reduced. The burping or “shuddering” you feel and hear is the equalization of the air pressure inside your SSR. The equalization occurs when the lower pressure cannot be maintained.

This happens on all vehicles when only one window is down.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine buffets in the cab so bad that the pressure hurts my ears. I have driven a lot of different vehicles and have never experienced anything like it. Edd

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I can't drive the Tahoe with the rear window down only, the pressure kills my ears. I have never had just the windows down on the SSR!

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
thats why they put those little flip up air foils on sunroofs. :yesnod
if you hold one down at speed it kills :flag

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Mr Upp said:
Mine buffets in the cab so bad that the pressure hurts my ears. I have driven a lot of different vehicles and have never experienced anything like it. Edd
The only time I have noticed buffeting where it slapps me along side the head is when I have the top down and my elbow hanging out the window.

With the top down, there is a jet stream that forms over the mirror mount and jets along the window sill. An elbow out the window deflects this right into the side of the head.

What tipped me off about this was the morning I drove to work, top down, it was still cool out. Too cool for my elbow to hang out without freezing. Later the same day it was warm enough, I put my elbow out, and noticed that I was getting blasted. I'm thinking, "That didn't happen this morning, ok, what's different." Oh yeah! It's not too cold to let my elbow hang out.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Vents

FUZZY said:
The flipper door should not flutter. It has hydraulic pressure holding it inplace on rubber stoppers.

My guess would be the vents inside the storage area. There are two vents (one on each side) that are supposed to relieve pressure in the cabin. If the air coming in, is faster than it can travel out, then this will cause a fluttering action and noise. Your roof panels may also be loose. Have them checked.

Where would these vents be located?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I had a rattle noise on the passengerside with the window down that turned out to be just the seatbelt buckle flapping against the door panel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wish ventvisor made some deflectors for the front of the windows. This would help with alot of the air coming in with the top up. I had these on my other trucks and it helps alot.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Kingbee.

Count my 04 in with the same wind buffeting problem too. It has to be some issue with the aerodynamics of the vehicle. I have a similar deal with our 03 Suburban too and also had it with my 02 Acura TL I used to have. Frustrating because you have to crack open both sided for it to go away and then deal with more cabin noise.

I think my solution is going to be a cat back exhaust. That way all I'll enjoy is the better exhaust noise. :thumbs

I haven't seen you around town in your SSR lately. A few weeks ago I saw you head into the McDonald's on Waukegan Rd. I was pulled in next to the Golf shop drying off a few drips after going through the Platinum Car Wash. I hate to use a car wash but it's been a little cold to wash by hand.

Your SSR looked great! Love the matching running boards. :thumbs They are a lot nicer than the silver ones on my 04.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Maybe window trim

I think the flutter comes from the rear window trim. It has about a 3/8" gap all around it. I'll try some foam window weather seal and let you know the outcome.

John D.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
OH YEA thats normal for the SSr. I can even make a shrill whistle if I position my driver window in just the right spot! :lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bought a set of Dummy spots. Mounted on plastic triangle next to pillar. They look retro and change the air flow. No more fluttering with windows partially open. They must act as a wind break.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts