Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my hesitation problem goes away after with motor warms up over 200. In the morning, I crank and go. I didn't see anything in the manual about cold engine warm ups.
Does the 6L need a short warmup? :confused
Will running it cold like I do screw it up in the future? :confused

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
My opinion is that it is OK to start and go, so long as you are gentle until it gets into the operational temp range. WOT on a cold motor is asking for premature wear issues. When I see the needle reach the middle left mark (180, I assume), I am usually about to get onto the main street and I don't hesitate to use part throttle at that point. Prior to that, I've been running below 30 mph.

Rule of thumb for me: I avoid WOT below the point where the cooling system is regulating on the thermostat.

I'll let the "experts" weigh in on this for a precise answer.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Its wise to let the engine "warm" up a bit just to get the oil flowing......this is according to our engineers at work..(Toyota Motor Mfg) Many of them are from GM plants and are familiar with GM engines :seeya

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
My opinion is that it is OK to start and go, so long as you are gentle until it gets into the operational temp range. WOT on a cold motor is asking for premature wear issues. When I see the needle reach the middle left mark (180, I assume), I am usually about to get onto the main street and I don't hesitate to use part throttle at that point. Prior to that, I've been running below 30 mph.

Rule of thumb for me: I avoid WOT below the point where the cooling system is regulating on the thermostat.

I'll let the "experts" weigh in on this for a precise answer.

Mike
Mike,
That is probably safe, but in my opinion, what you should be more worried about is oil temp. In my Vette, oil temp lags coolant temp by a lot. I don't get on the gas more than very easy acceleration until the oil is at least 150 degrees. On the Vette, I can call up oil temp on the DIC. :cheers:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Joe Schuhriemen said:
We all need a short warmup in the morning. Exercise is always good. It gets the blood flowing. And, we all know the best exercise around.
Well, I love my truck, but not that much! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts