Chevy SSR Forum banner

Door Check Rebuild

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  carlbush 
#1 ·
I found a way to replace the original door checks with original parts.
Takes a bit of work, but if you are handy, you should be able to do it.

Attached is some pictures and the process.

Attachments

#6 ·
Someone correct me if I am wrong here .............. a crack in the plastic as shown in the PDF images does NOT mean "broken". I think there is a metal structure in the center section of the door check that is covered by the plastic. When the plastic cracks as shown in the PDF image or is elongated, it allows movement where there should be none, thus the sound when opening the door. When you drill an oversize hole in the mount as shown by Dick, the closer tolerances once again allows the door check to operate without the popping sound. Of course the mod could wear out as well and might need replacing down the road, but all door checks should be good for at least one user modification with the hole enlargement process. Correct?

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo
Billet letters for tailgate and under hood

#7 ·
The arm is made of metal, covered completely with injection molded plastic, even the bore of the hole where the pin is,
is covered in plastic. It is the plastic in the bore that wears and then you get play and metal on metal, this is why it clicks. Drilling it out works fine,
but now you have metal on metal all the time.
Not everyone has to do it the same way, the article was just another method to the same end.

#8 ·
The arm is made of metal, covered completely with injection molded plastic, even the bore of the hole where the pin is,
is covered in plastic. It is the plastic in the bore that wears and then you get play and metal on metal, this is why it clicks. Drilling it out works fine,
but now you have metal on metal all the time.
Not everyone has to do it the same way, the article was just another method to the same end.

For everyone that might come across your post, I just wanted to clarify your problem, and the problem that everyone has, is not that your original part was totally "broken" and not repairable. You decided to develop an alternate repair method on your own. Your earlier statement that Dicks method would not have worked was misleading.

No worries, I did not question your method as being inferior in any way, just wanted to clear things up for those looking for answers and might have some confusion on what was being said and the source of the problem. Having more than one way to repair or replace our aging parts is always a good thing. Thanks for adding your post and providing another great idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.