Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2003 stock slingshot yellow 71k miles 2nd owner as of 3/20
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver door stopped window indexing: window wouldn't drop down the 1/2 inch to clear the roof. Problem was part called door latch and actuator. When hunting for one came to dead ends for SSR, BUT... the one for the S-10 pickup is identical! got a new one on ebay for $38.50. now they are $36.85. we even got a spare for that price. it has been working all functions on my 2003 for many months this is the way it is listed:
For Chevy S10 GMC Sonoma 15066132 931260 Door Latch & Actuator Front Left

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,294 Posts
That is great news and a great find. I am kind of surprised the S10 would have the same latch because they don't have a need to index the window down.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,818 Posts
I looked at them. There were two different ones with same part number. I did not have time to check schematic of 98 to 03 S10s yet. I plan to.
However, I am sure dragon2u receives one he will be a great judge. Question is which one of the two was ordered.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,818 Posts
Ok so here is what I see
Picture one is stock latch assembly, copied from simple engineering website

Picture number 2 is one type i saw on Ebay and Amazon - not sure if it would work

Picture number 3 is the other type I saw on Ebay. Looks more promising

Just because they don't have same style connectors they may still work - what worries me in Ebay #1 (picture #2) is the linkage.
Note this is also the one that Dorman offers for 3 times the price.

Electrically it MAY work --I am having trouble deciphering the two different wiring diagrams. Personally too tired to try harder.
They are not the same circuit numbers etc.

The three connectors all look like they should work. (handle and latch switch (4 pin)) lock switch (2 pin) and lock motor (also 2 pin))

Attachments

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
What I find the best and most promising is the first poster said they have gotten one and put it on and it has been working for months. In the above pictures the yellow connector is threaded so that you can adjust the rod. The picture of the Ebay one has a pop in end on it. That could for sure be a big difference. I looked at them a little today and I actually have a passengers side acting up and may look into ordering one tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Ok so here is what I see
Picture one is stock latch assembly, copied from simple engineering website

Picture number 2 is one type i saw on Ebay and Amazon - not sure if it would work

Picture number 3 is the other type I saw on Ebay. Looks more promising

Just because they don't have same style connectors they may still work - what worries me in Ebay #1 (picture #2) is the linkage.
Note this is also the one that Dorman offers for 3 times the price.

Electrically it MAY work --I am having trouble deciphering the two different wiring diagrams. Personally too tired to try harder.
They are not the same circuit numbers etc.

The three connectors all look like they should work. (handle and latch switch (4 pin)) lock switch (2 pin) and lock motor (also 2 pin))
The yellow plastic connector on our door latch has the ability to adjust the rod. The rod is threaded and it can be lengthened or shortened with the yellow plastic piece. That yellow plastic piece just snaps into a round hole on the lock assemble. If you look at the lock assemble picture, it has a larger looking orange round push in plastic piece on it. I would imagine if you squeeze it in then it will come out and replace it with the yellow one and be good to go.

The original poster said they have been using it for a while now so I would say that is good enough for me to try it.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,902 Posts
The yellow clip for the lock latch rod can rotate freely when snapped into the arm so its orientation is not an issue. Notice also that an SSR latch has one plastic rod linkage connector that is a "snap-on" style whereas all of the rod linkage connectors on the replacement are "grommet-style" retainers. The former is white in Autoprof's first photo of an OEM latch assembly. The grommet style would also work.

Stlhotrod is correct that the orange grommet style connector can be removed in favor of an OEM yellow plastic adjustable rod end connector.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,572 Posts
Several of us have been down this path quietly several years ago. The Dorman 931-260 is an exact replacement for the driver’s door...... EXCEPT...... that you need to drill out the door lock attaching point to accept the yellow threaded fastener. It takes a bigger hole than the orange snap-in grommet uses.

Over a year ago, I “loaned” a brand new pair of OEM latches to Dorman Engineering for cloning. They have been too silent for too long. I will have to rattle their cage again.

I’ll let other people weigh in on the passenger door.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR, Customized
655 Posts
THE “HOW TO LIBRARY“ HAS A PROCEDURE FOR INSTALLING THE DOOR LATCH ASSEMBLY.
I WOULD ADD TO THE PROCEDURE:
1. SEAL ALL AROUND THE WHITE SWITCH BEFORE INSTALLING WITH 3M WEATHERSTRIP ADHESIVE
2. SEAL THE TOP & SIDES AFTER INSTALLING THE ASSEMBLY WITH 3M WEATHER STRIP ADHESIVE
THIS WILL HELP KEEP THE WATER OUT.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts