Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
SSR Believer
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was about to hijack another thread @Dicktator had replied to, but my experience with what I think is strange activity was a bit different so I thought I'd see if anyone else is experiencing it or if it's, as they say, "just me". The situation I describe below has happened ever since we bought our R more than a year and a half ago, both with the OEM stereo as well as the new one I installed a couple of months after we bought it. So here goes...

When I first start driving our R I get in, start it up, stereo comes on, drive to point A, turn the ignition off, stereo continues to play until I open the driver's door, stereo goes off. All as expected. Then a few minutes later I get back in, start it up, stereo comes on, drive to point B. Now as soon as I turn the ignition off the stereo turns off immediately. Get out and a few minutes later get back in and head to point C. Same thing, stereo comes on normally but then turns off immediately with the ignition when I arrive at point C. A little later I drive back home, park in the garage, and again, the stereo turns off immediately with the ignition. Now, a few hours later or the next day it will repeat the exact same behavior, with the stereo coming on and staying on after I turn the ignition off until I open the door at my first stop, but then always turning off with the ignition at every stop thereafter. :unsure: I rarely leave it parked for more than an hour or so when I'm running errands.

So my understanding is that after normal driving the stereo should always stay on until I remove the key and open one of the doors - no matter how many times I've started the R up and turned it off is that correct or do I have it all wrong?

Initially I thought that my driver door lock module was going bad. However, I can repeat the exact same behavior every time. It seems like if the DLM was going bad, it would be intermittent at best and/or fail completely at some point.

Welcome everyone's thoughts and TIA!

EDIT: Skip to the last post for the happy ending. ;)

·
SSR Believer
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know the fix, however mine stays on every time till I open the door or it times out.
Thanks Jarod! That confirms what I thought should happen. It's just so bizarre that it behaves like that every single time. It's probably time to replace the DLM so I'll have to get together with @Mike in AZ or @Dicktator, but I wanted to see what the experts had to say first.

Thanks again my friend!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was about to hijack another thread @Dicktator had replied to, but my experience with what I think is strange activity was a bit different so I thought I'd see if anyone else is experiencing it or if it's, as they say, "just me". The situation I describe below has happened ever since we bought our R more than a year and a half ago, both with the OEM stereo as well as the new one I installed a couple of months after we bought it. So here goes...

When I first start driving our R I get in, start it up, stereo comes on, drive to point A, turn the ignition off, stereo continues to play until I open the driver's door, stereo goes off. All as expected. Then a few minutes later I get back in, start it up, stereo comes on, drive to point B. Now as soon as I turn the ignition off the stereo turns off immediately. Get out and a few minutes later get back in and head to point C. Same thing, stereo comes on normally but then turns off immediately with the ignition when I arrive at point C. A little later I drive back home, park in the garage, and again, the stereo turns off immediately with the ignition. Now, a few hours later or the next day it will repeat the exact same behavior, with the stereo coming on and staying on after I turn the ignition off until I open the door at my first stop, but then always turning off with the ignition at every stop thereafter. :unsure: I rarely leave it parked for more than an hour or so when I'm running errands.

So my understanding is that after normal driving the stereo should always stay on until I remove the key and open one of the doors - no matter how many times I've started the R up and turned it off is that correct or do I have it all wrong?

Initially I thought that my driver door lock module was going bad. However, I can repeat the exact same behavior every time. It seems like if the DLM was going bad, it would be intermittent at best and/or fail completely at some point.

I am no expert, and I think this is the first time I have responded to an issue here, but here goes. I have had similar stuff happen with the stereo and I noticed also that the window indexing would go crazy too. I think it is the roof somehow getting ajar. I would get the roof started opening, then re-close it and all was well. I am not 100% sure the stereo problem was part of this issue, but worth a try.

·
Spirited driver!
1,432 Posts

What about your exit lights from the interior/mirror? Do they light up as soon as the key is off or do they come on only after the door is opened? Does it do it the same way when you make your first stop of the day?

·
SSR Believer
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am no expert, and I think this is the first time I have responded to an issue here, but here goes. I have had similar stuff happen with the stereo and I noticed also that the window indexing would go crazy too. I think it is the roof somehow getting ajar. I would get the roof started opening, then re-close it and all was well. I am not 100% sure the stereo problem was part of this issue, but worth a try.
Thanks for that perspective. Fortunately our windows always index normally. The top works fine as well. No other problems to speak of at all, just the weird radio on/off pattern. I raise and lower the roof as a routine at least 2x/month per @Dicktator's recommendations to keep things working normally. So for about 18 months the stereo has been acting the same strange way. That was something to think about though. (y)

I know that it’s a first world problem, but my OCD about everything working like it should has finally kicked in on this one.;)

·
SSR Believer
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What about your exit lights from the interior/mirror? Do they light up as soon as the key is off or do they come on only after the door is opened? Does it do it the same way when you make your first stop of the day?
That's a good question Lance. The smoke from the fires here has made the air quality "very hazardous" right now. It's basically twilight in the middle of the day and we can look directly at the sun which is a tiny red ball in the sky. So we're staying inside with the windows closed and not driving anywhere. However I did go out into the garage and turned the ignition on/off a few times to check the interior light's behavior.

So when I turn the ignition on (without starting it) the interior lights go out as expected. When I turn the ignition off they don't come on until I remove the key from the ignition, then they immediately come on. I believe that's also normal.

Of course, when I tried this out, the stereo stayed on until I opened the door. I tried it several more times and each time the lights acted the same and the stereo stayed on until I opened the door. :rolleyes: Figures. Maybe starting it up and/or driving it around have some kind of impact?

So the next time we can go outside without our eyes burning and having a coughing fit, I'll test it out again with a few stops, see what happens and report back. (y) I'll be looking to see if the lights come on as soon as I turn the ignition off in concert with the stereo turning off at the same time - without removing the key and before I open the door.

So does your stereo behave like @Firetruck's, always staying on until you open your door? I'm pretty certain that's how it's supposed to work and that it's likely I need to replace the DLM, but if it's something else I'd rather not tear the door apart of course. I just can't account for the stereo's odd, repeatable behavior. Gremlins? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
That's a good question Lance. The smoke from the fires here has made the air quality "very hazardous" right now. It's basically twilight in the middle of the day and we can look directly at the sun which is a tiny red ball in the sky. So we're staying inside with the windows closed and not driving anywhere. However I did go out into the garage and turned the ignition on/off a few times to check the interior light's behavior.

So when I turn the ignition on (without starting it) the interior lights go out as expected. When I turn the ignition off they don't come on until I remove the key from the ignition, then they immediately come on. I believe that's also normal.

Of course, when I tried this out, the stereo stayed on until I opened the door. I tried it several more times and each time the lights acted the same and the stereo stayed on until I opened the door. :rolleyes: Figures. Maybe starting it up and/or driving it around have some kind of impact?

So the next time we can go outside without our eyes burning and having a coughing fit, I'll test it out again with a few stops, see what happens and report back. (y) I'll be looking to see if the lights come on as soon as I turn the ignition off in concert with the stereo turning off at the same time - without removing the key and before I open the door.

So does your stereo behave like @Firetruck's, always staying on until you open your door? I'm pretty certain that's how it's supposed to work and that it's likely I need to replace the DLM, but if it's something else I'd rather not tear the door apart of course. I just can't account for the stereo's odd, repeatable behavior. Gremlins? :unsure:
@richsadams: Stay safe, have close family members who live a various points in Oregon, all have had to evacuate at least once during the past few days - very dangerous out there, not to mention the smoke...

·
SSR Believer
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@richsadams: Stay safe, have close family members who live a various points in Oregon, all have had to evacuate at least once during the past few days - very dangerous out there, not to mention the smoke...
Thanks Doc, much appreciated. We're just dealing with the smoke. Others are in much, much worse shape. We're praying for everyone to make it through this nightmare healthy and intact. 🙏

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I haven't experienced that problem but have had some Odd issues. My after market radio/back up cam, will come on when first starting up, after shutting down and restarting it appears to power up but no sound. I have to turn the key off and back on then everything works fine. Just a thought, everything goes through the ignition switch, could be an early warning signal that the ignition switch is developing a deadspot ? My 2cents.

·
SSR Believer
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't experienced that problem but have had some Odd issues. My after market radio/back up cam, will come on when first starting up, after shutting down and restarting it appears to power up but no sound. I have to turn the key off and back on then everything works fine. Just a thought, everything goes through the ignition switch, could be an early warning signal that the ignition switch is developing a deadspot ? My 2cents.
The ignition switch was one of the first things I thought of as well. @Dicktator's really hammered that home. ;) But after 18 months or so, it seems like I'd see something other than the weird stereo activity materialize. Maybe not.

The original owner changed the switch at least once. The paperwork indicates 2007, but he had ordered one about 5 years ago as well. That may have just been a backup though. I have a brand new ignition switch from @Mike in AZ in one of the saddle bags just in case. It's been one of those "if it ain't broke" things, but I may try swapping it out just to be sure that's not the culprit before I tear into the door.

Good thought... thanks! (y)

·
Spirited driver!
1,432 Posts

Yes, mine operates the same way. Stereo stays on until door is opened or timeout happens. Stereo stays on and lights come on as soon as key is removed.

We also have all that smoke here in the S.F. Bay Area. Fires all around us so we get smoke no matter which way the wind blows. Even the off-shore breeze is bringing the smoke that is from the Oregon fires and came down the coastline. Our skies are either grey, yellow or red depending on the area and time of day. Feels like we are on Mars.

·
SSR Believer
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, mine operates the same way. Stereo stays on until door is opened or timeout happens. Stereo stays on and lights come on as soon as key is removed.

We also have all that smoke here in the S.F. Bay Area. Fires all around us so we get smoke no matter which way the wind blows. Even the off-shore breeze is bringing the smoke that is from the Oregon fires and came down the coastline. Our skies are either grey, yellow or red depending on the area and time of day. Feels like we are on Mars.
Thanks for that. Pretty sure it's a faulty DLM. But per @TheXCepsion I might swap out the ignition switch with a new one first.

The smoke is really bad but we're supposed to get some rain Monday through Wednesday so hopefully that'll help. Hope even more that they get enough rain here, down there and everywhere to assist the firefighters. Poor guys are risking their lives on 72 shifts right now. My grandfather was a US Dept. of Forestry fire fighter. Most of the time it's hurry up and wait, but when he went to work it was usually pretty brutal. Cannot believe how those men and women keep it up. Thank God for all of them! Praying they'll all get things under control soon. 🙏

Don't breath too hard and stay safe!

·
Spirited driver!
1,432 Posts
Thanks for that. Pretty sure it's a faulty DLM. But per @TheXCepsion I might swap out the ignition switch with a new one first.

The smoke is really bad but we're supposed to get some rain Monday through Wednesday so hopefully that'll help. Hope even more that they get enough rain here, down there and everywhere to assist the firefighters. Poor guys are risking their lives on 72 shifts right now. My grandfather was a US Dept. of Forestry fire fighter. Most of the time it's hurry up and wait, but when he went to work it was usually pretty brutal. Cannot believe how those men and women keep it up. Thank God for all of them! Praying they'll all get things under control soon. 🙏

Don't breath too hard and stay safe!
I would definitely try the ignition switch. You already have one and you have to stay inside anyway. If that doesn't do it, you still have a spare for your bag.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,544 Posts
Yes, I would and do change my ignition switch and battery every 4/5 years need to or not!

You may have poor connection behind "kick" panel driver side. I had broken wire in harness, changing Door Latch/Lock Module did not fix that.

Look at DOOR LATCH/LOCK MODULE on How to, shows bad connector and how we fixed it.

My SSR we ran "jumper" wire to inside connector to bypass "broken" wire in harness.

Dicktator

·
SSR Believer
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks @Dicktator. I'll plan on checking the wiring harness behind the kick panel. If it looks okay I'll then plan on installing a new ignition switch. I read and re-read your DIY instructions plus watched Robert's (AKA @shiftz33) DIY video a few times and am comfortable with the procedure. If that doesn't do it I'll let you know and plan on an exchange.

FWIW I've also followed your preventative mainenance advice about using silicone spray in all of the door latch areas. It rarely gets wet, but you never know.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The circuit that you are referring to is the RAP. (retained accessory power) It controls the power windows and the radio in the SSR. The Rap is a function of the BCM (body control module) and it gets its information thru the class 2 wiring. Class 2 is the low voltage (usually 5 volts) signals that the modules use to 'talk' to each other.
Why your R is not going into the RAP mode after a drive is the question.
The door not sending the signal that it is closed, thus timing out after 10 minutes?
The BCM getting hot and not performing the 10 minute Retained Accessory Power.?
The ignition switch not sending the signal for the RAP? This is probably the one item that wears out and is the cause of the problem.
Try just turning the key on, then off, while in the driveway. (starting the engine not necessary) The radio and windows should still work for the 10 minute period. It should do this cycle indefinitely. Only opening the doors should cancel the 10 minute time-out. Doing this in the driveway, will rule out the BCM getting hot under the engine compartment. (a possible cause) .
Hope these thoughts help you find the cause.
MrBozo in Lake Havasu, Arizona

Attachments

·
SSR Believer
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The circuit that you are referring to is the RAP. (retained accessory power) It controls the power windows and the radio in the SSR. The Rap is a function of the BCM (body control module) and it gets its information thru the class 2 wiring. Class 2 is the low voltage (usually 5 volts) signals that the modules use to 'talk' to each other.
Why your R is not going into the RAP mode after a drive is the question.
The door not sending the signal that it is closed, thus timing out after 10 minutes?
The BCM getting hot and not performing the 10 minute Retained Accessory Power.?
The ignition switch not sending the signal for the RAP? This is probably the one item that wears out and is the cause of the problem.
Try just turning the key on, then off, while in the driveway. (starting the engine not necessary) The radio and windows should still work for the 10 minute period. It should do this cycle indefinitely. Only opening the doors should cancel the 10 minute time-out. Doing this in the driveway, will rule out the BCM getting hot under the engine compartment. (a possible cause) .
Hope these thoughts help you find the cause.
MrBozo in Lake Havasu, Arizona
Great feedback!

So just tried your experiment. Turned the key to "On" (without starting the engine). Let the stereo come on and everything get settled then turned it to "Off" and removed the key. Mirror light came on as soon as I removed the key. Stereo stayed on as expected, windows both operational. Didn't sit there the entire 10 minutes, but went through the same routine several times, sat there for a few minutes each time and everything stayed on until I opened either the driver's door or passenger's door. When I get a little more time I'll try to sit there for 10 minutes plus and see how it goes.

FWIW the bed cover is open while it's parked in the garage and the bed light always stays on for 10 minutes after turning the key off, then goes out. That's always been the case, even after a long trip. Not sure if that's part of the same system or not though.

With respect to engine compartment heat, most of my errands are nearby. It's about a mile to the post office which is usually my first stop. Not even enough time for the engine temp to come up to normal. However even if that's my only trip, after I get back home the stereo goes off immediately when I turn the key off. Maybe that's enough time for the BCM to heat up?

So while the AQ is so bad we're stuck inside. The cars get coverd with bits of ash even opening the garage door for a few minutes. But I may go ahead and swap out the ignition. Downside is that it looks like I won't be able to take it out for a spin until the end of the week or so.

In any case, thanks to all for the advice. (y) I'll report back with any progress... or lack thereof. :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts