Chevy SSR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
A visual look at the wires going into the ignition switch to start with, since that has changed slightly when the new switch was installed. Perhaps its a wire that is broken inside the insulation, causing an intermittent problem at first and now after some movement of installing the switch it problem is steady.

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
A visual look at the wires going into the ignition switch to start with, since that has changed slightly when the new switch was installed. Perhaps its a wire that is broken inside the insulation, causing an intermittent problem at first and now after some movement of installing the switch it problem is steady.
Will do! (y)

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,532 Posts
Update: I just finished installing a brand new GM 15242754 ignition switch. Now the stereo turns off every time I turn the ignition off. Tried it a half-dozen times with the exact same result.

So when I turn the ignition to "On/Run" (starting it sometimes, other times not) everything fires up normally including the stereo. When I turn the ignition off the stereo turns off immediately. Lance (@PokerGuy) wanted to know if the mirror light comes on at the same time the stereo goes off - it does not. The mirror light does come on as soon as I remove the key from the ignition though (as it did before). The instrument cluster lights do stay on until I open the door, then they go out (as they did before).

I also checked the wiring behind the driver side kick panel and it all looks to be normal with no pinched or loose wires.

The old switch came out smoothly and the connector unplugged without any struggle. It was one of the newer models with one grey side on the case. The teeth didn't appear to be very worn.

I'll wait for the experts to weigh in.

TIA! :)

View attachment 584210 View attachment 584211
You didn't say that you have OEM Radio or aftermarket.

Aftermarket radio may go OFF with key because the OEM radio had the "stay on" for 10 minutes.

If that is so, did you lose your Security System also, it's part of OEM radio?

Dicktator

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
You didn't say that you have OEM Radio or aftermarket.

Aftermarket radio may go OFF with key because the OEM radio had the "stay on" for 10 minutes.

If that is so, did you lose your Security System also, it's part of OEM radio?

Dicktator
Hi Dicktator! As mentioned in my original post, this has been a problem since we purchased the R about 18 months ago, both with the OEM radio as well as the aftermarket radio. Just getting around dealing with it now.

I replaced the OEM radio with a Panasonic touch-screen stereo a couple of months after we bought our R. Both the OEM as well as the aftermarket radio stayed on (as expected) after the key was turned off and removed, only turning off when the door was opened. Generally after my first errand (when it worked normally), both the OEM radio and the aftermarket would then turn off with the key rather than staying on until the door was opened. The RAP is working as expected otherwise with the windows going up and down, etc. until the door is opened.

The security system is working normally with the aftermarket stereo. Alarm sounds, horn blows as it should. I recapped my test of the security system with @Autoprof in this post.

I'm doing a "deep dive" inspecting the multitude of wires that run to/from the ignition switch now since the stereo on/off pattern changed when I installed the new one.

So it's still a mystery at the moment but if you think of anything else, I'm all ears! ;)

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
EDIT: I thought I had it fixed as outlined in this post, but I was wrong. See my post #53 below. The saga continues. :cautious:

Well, dress me up and call me Sally! My stereo is now behaving like it should! Turn the key on, everything comes on. Turn the key off, stereo stays on until I open the door! 🎉 🎉🎉

Took everyone's advice here, most recently @MrBozo's and Robert's (@TXNSSR who so kindly called out of the blue) and looked closely at the wiring around the newly installed ignition switch. I cannot say specifically which wire it was, but one of them was apparently asleep at the wheel - literally.

After inspecting the connections and moving the wires that rest in the ignition switch's J hook around (all looked fine) I slid the ignition switch back in place. Per @Dicktator I carefully slipped each wire back into the J hook and thought I'd give it a try. Ta-dah! It worked normally. Tried it 6x and it worked every time. Zip-tied the two wire looms back into the other side of the steering column, then tried it again. Still working! Maneuvered the bottom shroud back into place and tried it again. Still working. Cleaned everything up, tried it all again. Steering wheel controls (volume, skip, etc.) still working fine. Stereo still stays on after key is turned off. Windows still go up and down after the key is turned off. Mirror light stays on as it should. Glove box light works normally. Open the driver's door, everything shuts down as it should. Same for passenger door.

So bottom line, it appears to have been a loose wire in the small group of wires that feed through the J hook on the ignition switch. The switch had been replaced at least once by the original owner, so something may have been pulled a little too hard at the time, who knows. Just really happy it's working as it was designed now. 👏 Also very pleased I don't have to dig into the door to get at the door lock/latch module.

* PHEW! *

Big thanks to @Autoprof, @PokerGuy @Dicktator, @MrBozo, @Bcrumbley, @TXNSSR, @DrDJ, @TheXCepsion and @Firetruck for all of the terrific advice and support. I owe you all.

I love this place! :love:

·
Spirited driver!
1,412 Posts
Well, dress me up and call me Sally! My stereo is now behaving like it should! Turn the key on, everything comes on. Turn the key off, stereo stays on until I open the door! 🎉 🎉🎉

Took everyone's advice here, most recently @MrBozo's and Robert's (@TXNSSR who so kindly called out of the blue) and looked closely at the wiring around the newly installed ignition switch. I cannot say specifically which wire it was, but one of them was apparently asleep at the wheel - literally.

After inspecting the connections and moving the wires that rest in the ignition switch's J hook around (all looked fine) I slid the ignition switch back in place. Per @Dicktator I carefully slipped each wire back into the J hook and thought I'd give it a try. Ta-dah! It worked normally. Tried it 6x and it worked every time. Zip-tied the two wire looms back into the other side of the steering column, then tried it again. Still working! Maneuvered the bottom shroud back into place and tried it again. Still working. Cleaned everything up, tried it all again. Steering wheel controls (volume, skip, etc.) still working fine. Stereo still stays on after key is turned off. Windows still go up and down after the key is turned off. Mirror light stays on as it should. Glove box light works normally. Open the driver's door, everything shuts down as it should. Same for passenger door.

So bottom line, it appears to have been a loose wire in the small group of wires that feed through the J hook on the ignition switch. The switch had been replaced at least once by the original owner, so something may have been pulled a little too hard at the time, who knows. Just really happy it's working as it was designed now. 👏 Also very pleased I don't have to dig into the door to get at the door lock/latch module.

* PHEW! *

Big thanks to @Autoprof, @PokerGuy @Dicktator, @MrBozo, @Bcrumbley, @TXNSSR, @DrDJ, @TheXCepsion and @Firetruck for all of the terrific advice and support. I owe you all.

I love this place! :love:

View attachment 584232
Congrats Rich, thanks for chronicling the details here. I always learning something from this great group of Fanatics!

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Very good news!! I do say in Ignition installation instructions , "Don't pull on wires".

This is good to know!

Dicktator
Thanks for your help again @Dicktator. As mentioned earlier the alarm system works normally with the aftermarket stereo as well, so, win-win-win! 🏁 ;)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Thanks for keeping us updated. It helps when the next person has a similar issue and we have the problem and all the information and the end fix. Thanks again.

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks for keeping us updated. It helps when the next person has a similar issue and we have the problem and all the information and the end fix. Thanks again.
My pleasure.

Another bonus is that if we're stuck out in the middle of nowhere on a dark and stormy night, I'm pretty confident I can swap out the ignition switch with my eyes closed now! :D

BTW, we live out in the middle of nowhere, so if a Fanatic finds themselves in the same situation, give a shout! ;)

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well, hate to say it, but the gremlins are back! The stereo is immediately turning off when I turn the key off instead of staying on until I open the door - again. :( The only thing that I did before getting in and starting it up was open and close the bed cover, nothing else. Immediately after doing that, the stereo began to misbehave.

As mentioned, I originally tested it with the top in the up as well as down position when I thought it was a wire in the ignition switch causing the problem. So I put the roof back up and tested it. Put the roof back town and tested it. Opened and closed the bed cover repeatedly. No love. Now the stereo is once again not staying on until I open the door as it should, but turning off with the key. Mirror light, glove box light and windows all operating with RAP normally, both with the top up or down, bed cover open or closed.

Soooo... here I am again. :unsure: Maybe I am back to the door lock module after all.

If adding the bed cover step to the mix causes an "ah-ha" moment for anyone, please chime in but If not, I'm just going to live with it because it's not that big-a-deal. It'll bug me of course, but hey, that's life. There are bigger problems in this world. ;)

·
Spirited driver!
1,412 Posts
Dang it. I was hoping you had actually got it and you were not just back in the good part of the cycle. If it is the DLM that thinks your door is still open, wouldn't the RAP items not function? If the radio thinks the door is open, why would the windows still work? My guess at this point is that ot has to do with the wiring on the radio and how it gets power after the key is off. Of course, I'm just grasping at wires here.

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Dang it. I was hoping you had actually got it and you were not just back in the good part of the cycle. If it is the DLM that thinks your door is still open, wouldn't the RAP items not function? If the radio thinks the door is open, why would the windows still work? My guess at this point is that ot has to do with the wiring on the radio and how it gets power after the key is off. Of course, I'm just grasping at wires here.
All good points, and, well, I dunno. :unsure: Just seems so strange that it worked without fail 1x per outing before I changed the ignition switch. Then not at all afterward. Then worked as it should every time once I fiddled with the ignition switch wiring. Now it suddenly stopped working after I opened and closed the bed cover. ❓❓❓

I'm almost certain there's a connection between the ignition switch and the RAP for the stereo. I might go ahead and pull the shroud off of the bottom of the steering wheel and look at the wiring again.

One thing I didn't mention when I was inspecting the wiring the other day is that when I was moving the ignition switch down to re-seat it, the door locks suddenly did some rapid fire opening and closing. It only lasted a second or two, and I chalked it up to, well, messing around with the wires. Now I suspect something bigger is going on there. I suppose it's possible that even though it's brand new, I just ended up with a bad ignition switch. I think I have a third one somewhere in the garage. Might try that one and see what happens.

Remember the old Police album "Ghost In the Machine"? I think I found it. o_O :rolleyes:

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Okay, as an experiment I just went back out to the garage, got in closed the door, turned the key to on/run. I waited for everything to come on including the stereo. I turned the key to off and removed it. Mirror light comes on and the stereo stayed on until I opened the door - just like it should. :sneaky: Tried it 3x and it stayed on until I opened the door every time.

THEN I opened the bed cover, this time with the button in the glove box. Got out, closed the driver's door, opened the tailgate, closed the bed cover and closed the tailgate. I got back in, closed the door, turned the key to the on/run position, waited for everything to come on including the stereo. Turned the key to the off position... the stereo turned off immediately. Tried it again 3x with the same result. What the... ???

So apparently given enough "idle time", including not opening the bed cover, everything works as it should. Open the bed cover and all bets are off. I'm sooooo confused. :confused:

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Since I keep answering my own posts ;) here's a follow-up...

This morning I went out to the garage, got in, turned the key to the on/run position, waited for everything to fire up, turned the key off, pulled it out, mirror light came on, stereo stayed on until I opened the door! Tried it another 3x, and the stereo stayed on until I opened the door.

So I got out, closed the door, popped the bed cover open with the key fob, opened the tailgate, closed the bed cover, closed the tailgate, got in, closed the door, turned the key to the on/run position, waited for everything to fire up, turned the key off, pulled it out, mirror light came on, stereo stayed on until I opened the door! Tried doing the same but opened the bed cover with the glove box button. All the same results. Stereo stays on until I open the door.

Seems like letting it sit for a while "resets" everything to normal operation. I'm going to take it out for a top-down spin later and see what happens.

I am totally bumfuzzled now. :unsure:

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,314 Posts
Can't wait to see the final answer to this one... Wish I could help more, but I'm paying attention to help others down the road.

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well, it's a balmy 68 degrees and the air is safe to breath so I took Sandy down to the local ice cream shop, enjoying the top-down weather on the way. (The R, not Sandy :giggle: ).

Drove into town, parked, turned the key off and the stereo stayed on until I opened the door. Yay? Enjoyed some high-calorie scoops and headed back home. Pulled into the garage, turned the key off and the stereo shut off immediately. :rolleyes: That's the exact same behavior it displayed before I installed the new ignition switch.

Sooooo... that's life. Could be worse. Could be raining. ;)

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
959 Posts
May be a long-shot, but have you considered the interface box between the SSR steering controls and the radio? I had an aftermarket Pioneer radio (navigation, rear camera, SiriusXM, etc) in my SSR for longer than a year and then started having issues with the radio; the radio would turn itself OFF for no reason, it would change channels for no reason, and it would even turn itself ON after I turned it OFF. I thought it may be the ignition module and changed the module out. No change. I then thought that the radio may have been damaged so I bought a new radio. I used the interface box from the Pioneer radio and immediately had the same issue with the new radio ... so I replaced the steering wheel interface box and that fix everything. Radio is working as it should. Not sure how the interface box might be affecting your windows so, as I said, may be a long-shot.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts