Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to repaint covers as there is rust showing on drivers side due too my leg resting on it. I am assuming that it will pop off without needing to remove door panel but would like to make sure beforehand.

·
SSR Believer
2,810 Posts
Yes, the door panel must be removed. It's not difficult, just follow @Dicktator's DIY.

Quick tip, when putting the panel back on you'll need to guide the door lock rod into the hole at the top of the panel. Get a drinking straw and slip it over the rod, then drop the panel back over the straw, slip the straw out and ta-dah!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the door panel must be removed. It's not difficult, just follow @Dicktator's DIY.

Quick tip, when putting the panel back on you'll need to guide the door lock rod into the hole at the top of the panel. Get a drinking straw and slip it over the rod, then drop the panel back over the straw, slip the straw out and ta-dah!
Had panels off before and I don’t like to remove them. The straw trick is a winner for sure👍

·
SSR Believer
2,810 Posts
Had panels off before and I don’t like to remove them. The straw trick is a winner for sure👍
I get it. They are a bit of a pain. I've had ours off numerous times for various reasons (new speakers, both door latches, replacing the plastic barrier, lubricating the window mechanism, sound deadening and such). I try to take my time and it works out okay. I've had to replace the OEM retainers when some of the old ones flattened out or got a bit brittle. If you ever need new retainers (there are two sizes), these are the ones I used:

Here's another thought... you could try using a paint pen to touch up the rusted areas. I've touched up various small items in the engine compartment and it worked out well.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I updated my post with the Sharpie paint markers that I've used. They're oil based and should last longer than acrylic.

I've also used silver to touch up aluminum and other metal things.

Bam. Going to give this a shot. My H2 SUT could benefit as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts