Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drive-in ride 9/24/2005

Hi Central Texans and anyone else interested.

I am taking an informal survey concerning our next ride with an added twist, the destination is a Drive-in. :lurk

So I am trying to get a serious SSR count so I can try and organize with a Drive In in Central Texas to accomodate our informal SSR club.

This would provide us with an opportunity to meet each other and significant others, drive during the day and night, and take in a movie the retro way with our retro rides. :ssr

Looking to accomplish this in September (cooler) on either Saturday the 10th or 24th with a probable destination of newest Central Texas drive-in in Killeen.

Those interested, please respond to this thread by 8/15/05 so I can contact a drive-in, map out a route, and locate a meeting place for departure.

My significant other is psyched about it because it means she and I can neck :thumbs (oh, you're supposed to watch the movie???)

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Ya mean that somewhere out there they still have a drive-in, thats not some over grown parking lot with a worn out screen? :lurk:

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
coming back

Yes, they are coming back very strong I might add.
We would love to have you drive down and join us. I will find a stopping place near the drive-in for those that want to meet from other locations.
This will allow us to all drive to the movie and enter as a group. Maybe we can get a group rate. :) :ssr

I am looking at a couple of options up and down the I-35 corridor.
It really depends on what type of interest there is out there and where the majority of SSR owners will be coming from.

If there are more from DFW, then I will look at Gatesville, majority from Central Texas then Killeen, majority from coastal, then Shiner.
All three locations have working drive-ins that show first run movies and there are a few more out there. :lurk

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SSR03 said:
Count me in. Hopefuly I won't be digging up sand! :jester
Cool!
Huh?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Count us in for the drive -Sept 10 is preferred

Please count my wife and I in on your cruise in Sept.. We would prefer the 10th as we may be out in the Davis Mountains on the 24th...

rhughestx

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Would love to make it, but will be up north on vacation. Sure you can't make it later in the month (when it's cooler)??

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
houtex said:
Would love to make it, but will be up north on vacation. Sure you can't make it later in the month (when it's cooler)??
Well in the hill country, it is cooler that time of year. (it's not brazil)
Some can't make it later because of vacation, but that is not to say we won't look at all options, we may have more later.
9/10 is the first choice if I get enough feedback of interest, then I will plan and reserve space if possible.
8/15 is my need date for headcount which should give me enough time to plan.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Count Us In

Me and my significant other will be able to make it on either one of those days unless something unforseen happens. This drive sounds like fun. I have not been to a drive-in in years. Thanks for your efforts ampmop.

Redrodder :lol

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
phone numbers

Well, it looks like there is some interest out there on this ride.
Obviously there are some scheduling conflicts and with that we may just have to look at doing another one if the outcome on this one works out.

As far as the 10th or the 24th, so far the 10th is most probably but it really depends on location and whether or not the facilities can accomodate us.

Someone mentioned Grandbury, I looked at that one as well (I go to Cleburne alot, will be there Sunday visiting family) but logistically it is a bit out of the way for the majority interested.

Everyone keep in mind the good ole days of going to these with your date, what time did you return home? How far was the drive? Did you run out of "gas", or did you tell your parents that you did anyway??? The point is, unless some of you are planning an overnight stay, it could realistly be as late as 2 or 3 am before getting home.

Regardless, those of you that have responded, please PM me your phone numbers so I can call everyone once the logistics are in place. I will also post on here as well once it is finalized.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
ampmop said:
Well in the hill country, it is cooler that time of year. (it's not brazil)
Some can't make it later because of vacation, but that is not to say we won't look at all options, we may have more later.
9/10 is the first choice if I get enough feedback of interest, then I will plan and reserve space if possible.
8/15 is my need date for headcount which should give me enough time to plan.
Maybe we can make the next one. BTW - winter in Brazil 75 high during the day - nights in the 60's.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

Hey everyone, been doing some research on area drive-ins.
Spent Monday evening enjoying the Gatesville drive-in and the second feature was the Island and when the SSR came on screen, many people turned and looked at me '05, when we left there were people stopping and staring with comments like, "Dude, check it out, check it out, an "STS"" I did not correct him, I just kept cruising on out.
Tried to get a pic of my SSR in the foreground with the movie one on screen, but just too dark and too fast for the digital camera to catch it.

Staying for the second feature put us back in Austin at 3:00am and although there was no traffic on I-35, it was still a long day.

Also visited the Killeen drive-in and although it was nothing to write home about, it may suffice for our drive, I'll let you know what I learn from the drive-in owners.

At this time, we are still shooting for 9/10, but 9/24 may end up working out better mainly due to our forcasted extended summer here in the hill country, worst case, we may have to look into October.

Until then, keep cruising safely...

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I am interested in attending this event but I don't know at this time which date will work best for me. Will know more after school starts and the schedule for swim meets comes out Aug. 21. Since this seems to be looking like an overnight trip, a list of hotels close by would be helpful, too. Thanks

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wildcat66 said:
I am interested in attending this event but I don't know at this time which date will work best for me. Will know more after school starts and the schedule for swim meets comes out Aug. 21. Since this seems to be looking like an overnight trip, a list of hotels close by would be helpful, too. Thanks
I'll take care of everything. We first will need to establish which location, I think it will be overnight only if we stay late through two features, then again some people may not like driving at night, so I will speak with area hotels anyway to see where we can get the best deal.
Much will depend on participation, if I speak to establishments and tell them we will have 10 plus cars, they may be interested, but 5 or less will probably not do much for the cause.

Thanks for the input.

B

·
0 Posts
Get the date secure. You might have to put up with an Okie in your parade. How far a piece is it down yonder? I would deffinately spend the nite some where.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Count me in, I might even be able to talk toe wifey into it.

Yes Okies are welcome in texas, but they have to have their shots up to date, a passport, and a locator bracelet on them so we can keep tabs on them. :lol :seeya

1 - 20 of 92 Posts