Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking upa new 04 SSR and will be driving it 1400 miles to get home. As there is a national back order condition on drive shafts what preventative MOD can be done on the drive shft system to provide the best chances of making it home? THX Bill

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
Put the key in the ignition and drive.
Don't worry about the driveshaft. the problems some of us are having is basically an annoying noise. Nothing mechanical to worry about.

Enjoy the ride. Its a great bonding experience. :thumbs

·
Registered
216 Posts
put it in D.

The drive shaft is not a safety issue, it is a noise one. Of course the exception to this is if the transmission seal has been broken from the vibration. Check tail shaft for leaks, and drive it like you stole it.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,060 Posts
I don't think any of the problems have been of a "Safety" nature. I believe the efforts are focused on some annoying driveline noises. I have a loud "tink" in my driveshaft that sounds like a cooling exhaust system "clack"..... Most of us have heard that on different vehicles through the years. I believe the root cause of the noise lies in the design and construction of the two ends onto the driveshaft tube itself. Dissimilar thermal masses that expand and contract at different rates and "move" inside each other. Creates an annoying noise, but not a failure issue. You'll hear it, I'm sure.

To my knowledge, I don't think there has ever been a driveshaft failure. Jim G is the expert here.... - Jim?

Go get it, drive it home and enjoy the ride. You are beginning a wonderful relationship, don't let our discussions put a damper on the wonderful vehicle you are picking up.

Have a great trip,

Mike

OBTW (oh, by the way) Be sure to get off the interstate for as much of your trip as possible. Spend the night in a small town and stop at little out-of-the-way gas stations that look like they need a morale boost. It'll do yours too.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I have seen absolutely ZERO reports of any actual catastrophic mechanical problems with the driveshafts.

It is, as stated more than once above, a sometimes annoying NOISE issue, but never a breakage or anything like that.

The worst that I have actually heard of in terms of actual non-noise problems is that ME and ONE other owner have experienced tailshaft seal leakage as a result of driveshaft yokes that were incorrectly or incompletely finished at the factory. This rare issue is easy to check for:

With the SSR up on a hoist where you can clearly see the underside, check the end of the transmission tailshaft, and the chassis crossmember and chassis surfaces for any sign of transmission fluid (It will be obvious, not subtle). If you see none, you are fine (and I predict this is what you will likely find).

If by rare chance you got the same yoke finish problem as I did, the cure is a warranty reopair at a Chevy dealership, in which they replace the tailshaft seal, the yoke, and often the driveshaft. Even when leaking, the vehicle is drivable (my dealer sent me away for a day or 2 while he got the required parts in), provided you don't have an absolute gusher.

Mine, once corrected, has never returned in over 7000 miles or so.

Repeating, the driveshaft issues you hear about are NOISE, not mechanical problems.

Jim G

·
Registered
643 Posts
Is it a Bose Driveshaft?

Did you get one with the Bose System?
I think Chevy offered that option because they knew of the driveshaft noise...
with 5,000 miles on it, mine makes no noise when the Stereo is cranked!

Also, it's terrible that some of you have had so many issues with your SSR's,
I consider myself very lucky to have yet to return to the dealer for anything -
I'll live with the "tink".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts