Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear some slight clinks and tinks once in awhile. Is this what all the drive shaft fuss is about? why some people have had there drive shafts and rear ends replaced dozens of times? Im sorry I just dont get what all the fuss is over for these minor sounds.
 

·
RetroCarGuy530
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
When at 65 MPH you hear a loud ringing noise from the rear end (while under load), you might have a different point of view of why the rear end might need replacing.

When the "tink / ting" noise begins to occur every time you push down on or let up off of the gas pedal, you might understand how annoying it is. Especialy with the top down all you hear is "tink .... tink ..... tink".

My 05 had its drive shaft updated with the "newer GM" drive shaft. The tink noise went away for 500 miles. It returned in full force by 800 miles.

My 05 SSR's rear end would begin to whine/ring around 55 MPH and it would hit its peak around 65 MPH. GM replaced the rear end. It reduced the noise by about 30 percent.

Just today I installed the MMC drive shaft. The tink is gone (at least for now, but I hope for good) and the remaining whine/ringing from my replacement rear end was reduced by about another 70 percent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
RICOHET

:agree

But for $500.00 out of your own pocket you can put in an unengineered, unproven, unwarrantable(plus any damage it causes) driveshaft in your :ssr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
The reality is that what you get for $500.00 is a significantly lighter much stronger fully balanced aluminum matrix driveshaft that is state of the art (dynotech matrix driveshaft).
If you run any more hp that stock there is a good chance that you will twist and destroy the old driveshaft.
So if you want to put up with the noise and vibration and weakness of the stock driveshaft then so be it Enjoy. Ask Jim G what he thinks..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This Truck isn't a Lexus folks, I have owned MANY GM rear drive performance cars in the past and driveline sounds like this are just a standard GM feature. Get used to them its just the GM way.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wildcat69 said:
The reality is that what you get for $500.00 is a significantly lighter much stronger fully balanced aluminum matrix driveshaft that is state of the art (dynotech matrix driveshaft).
If you run any more hp that stock there is a good chance that you will twist and destroy the old driveshaft.
So if you want to put up with the noise and vibration and weakness of the stock driveshaft then so be it Enjoy. Ask Jim G what he thinks..
What does this after market shaft do to your warranty if some driveline component should fail?? Like the rear end Tranny or some sort of engine failure? Could GM void out your warranty? Think about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
41chevcoe said:
RICOHET

:agree

But for $500.00 out of your own pocket you can put in an unengineered, unproven, unwarrantable(plus any damage it causes) driveshaft in your :ssr
I've owned a Dynotech MMC drive shaft in my previous car. You are wrong about it being unengineered, unproven and unwarrantable. It is a highly engineered, dyno balanced, extremely proven (in racing applications as well as daily driving), and carries it's own warrantee. I know instances where Dynotech shipped owners a new shaft free, paid return shipping on the old shaft, no arguements, to make owners satisfied.

You should not have to live with drive shaft noise, be it popping, ticking, groaning, or whines. It should not twist or bend under load, even with a supercharger. It should not impart vibration.
 

·
RetroCarGuy530
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
Ricochet said:
What does this after market shaft do to your warranty if some driveline component should fail?? Like the rear end Tranny or some sort of engine failure? Could GM void out your warranty? Think about it.
GM cannot void the warranty on any portion of the vehicle unless they can PROVE that alteration to the vehicle is the root cause of the failure. There is a law in place (Magnuson Moss Warranty Act) that prevents manufacturers from doing what you're stating. That doesn't mean that won't try, but in the end any legal rep from GM or any other car manufacturer would know they cannot "just void" your warranty.

If you're willing to live with the under engineered, noise echoing GM supplied drive shaft, good luck with that. :banghead

Don't throw verbal stones at those of us that actually expect the vehicle to perform to the level it should and cost.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shiftz33 said:
GM cannot void the warranty on any portion of the vehicle unless they can PROVE that alteration to the vehicle is the root cause of the failure. There is a law in place (Magnuson Moss Warranty Act) that prevents manufacturers from doing what you're stating. That doesn't mean that won't try, but in the end any legal rep from GM or any other car manufacturer would know they cannot "just void" your warranty.

If you're willing to live with the under engineered, noise echoing GM supplied drive shaft, good luck with that. :banghead

Don't throw verbal stones at those of us that actually expect the vehicle to perform to the level it should and cost.
This Truck Costs $50K because GM says so. Its not a $50K vehicle in all reality however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Donnysan said:
I've owned a Dynotech MMC drive shaft in my previous car. You are wrong about it being unengineered, unproven and unwarrantable. It is a highly engineered, dyno balanced, extremely proven (in racing applications as well as daily driving), and carries it's own warrantee. I know instances where Dynotech shipped owners a new shaft free, paid return shipping on the old shaft, no arguements, to make owners satisfied.

You should not have to live with drive shaft noise, be it popping, ticking, groaning, or whines. It should not twist or bend under load, even with a supercharger. It should not impart vibration.
You may be right that Dynotech makes a great driveshaft. You are correct that the stock driveshaft shouldn't be noisy, vibrate or bend and if my driveshaft had any of these problems I would still not spend $500 of my money to fix it while the :ssr is still under warranty.Sorry if it was taken as verbal stones.:)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top