Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 SSR (VIN 602) has been exhibiting a problem with its drive shaft. A very tinny "Tink" noise is heard after having the SSR parked and then starting it up and placing it into reverse. I also hear the noise at times when applying/letting off of the gas pedal (with the top down of course).

My dealership's service manager opened a case (for several issues on my SSR) and asked about this issue. GM stated that this has been reported on a few vehicles (not only SSRs). It appears the drive shaft will be getting replaced on my SSR since some drive shafts are slightly out of spec allowing enough flexing to occur on the splines which is then echoed through the drive shaft and heard as the "Tink" noise. They've ordered the replacement drive shaft for my SSR.

Having that meeting with the dealership's owner and the service manager last week certainly seems to have helped in getting my issues looked into a bit closer than before!!

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Driveshaft noise

:( :( :( :( :(

You are not alone. The list will grow once people listen for this noise.

I reported this noise to my dealer in late May, just after it got warm enough to run with the top down. At that time there was only one report of a similar noise on a Trailblazer. They use the same driveshaft.

The dealer worked with GM and replaced the driveshaft in early June, This cleared up the noise.....for about a week. The noise came back. After the dealer contacted GM they put a hold on any more driveshaft replacements.

They have designed a new Driveshaft and I am to receive on of the first off the production line. The dealer was told that this is the upgraded driveshaft for the 2005 SSR with the higher performance drivetrain. The new drive shaft is to be ready in a couple weeks.

My dealer has gone above and beyond in taking care of my problems and have even given me a loaner while my vehicle was in the shop. ( it was not an SSR but it was free)

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Driveshaft noise

I too have noticed the "tink" in my driveshaft. Mostly when shifting in and out of reverse. I have been waiting for some more good feedback to show up here. I have been waiting for more mileage before I take my SSR in for service.

I also am experiencing my window catching on the molding and turning it inward. I am glad to be able to find others on here to share and read about their issues and fixes.

C

·
0 Posts
I doubt that noise is of much concern. All RWD vehicles have slack in the driveline. Especially those with a live axle. The SSR driveshaft is a large diameter which will cause amplifacation of the noise.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
We have heard this noise also and will keep checking back here and talking to our dealer. Diamond Jim, when you buy a brand new vehicle and have to take it to the shop they should give you a loaner to drive. I have been given the Gen. Managers ride each time I have gone in before.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The noise when shifting into reverse isn't too much a concern (but it's getting louder with more miles). The noise while driving is what is getting my attention more now. The first 200 miles (or so) I only heard the noise when shifting into reverse, now with 650 miles on my SSR the noise is happening far more frequently while I'm driving. I've driven many RWD trucks/cars and none of them sounded like this.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Mine makes the same noise too - except of course, when I'm at the dealership. I've got just over 10k miles and does not seem to be getting worse. I guess I'll wait to see what the final outcome is - with the drive shaft replacement status - before I bring it up the the dealership again.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Clunk !!!!

Yep, me 2. I noticed it mostly when decelerating n then makin a turn then accelerating. Occasionally, when jus goin straight in traffic. I reported it 2 the dealer with sum other issues. :(

I wud suggest that all with this problem at the least report it 2 ur dealer, 2 get it on the record.

:cool

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke with my service manager this afternoon. I tried to confirm with him that the replacement drive shaft that is to be installed into my SSR is the "new" design and not simply the same 03/04 drive shaft. He was told by GM tech group that it's a "new part" for this SSR that will resolve the issue and it will be shipped when it becomes available. He's going to confirm this info with the regional tech person when they talk about my roof hinges.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Regional GM tech person could not confirm/deny anything relating to the drive shaft that is to be shipped for my SSR. We'll just have to assume it will be the "new" one. I hate it when you try to confirm information and then end up having to assume it's going to be correct. Usually allowing things to run by the "system" in place doesn't seem to work when it comes to new production vehciles (based on other vehicles I've purchased in the past). I'll have to cross my fingers/toes and hope the new drive shaft is the 05 SSR drive shaft.

·
Registered
222 Posts
So that's IT???

What about the hinges????? :confused :confused

shiftz33 said:
Regional GM tech person could not confirm/deny anything relating to the drive shaft that is to be shipped for my SSR. We'll just have to assume it will be the "new" one. I hate it when you try to confirm information and then up having to assume it's going to be correct. Usually allowing things to run by the "system" in place doesn't seem to work when it comes to new production vehciles (based on other vehicles I've purchased in the past). I'll have to cross my fingers/toes and hope the new drive shaft is the 05 SSR drive shaft.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I called my dealer today and the Service guy said that they will not replace anything that doesn't have a GM SB, any other info will not be considered legitt. I did tell them about the noise though and they are changing the oil this week so they will look it over. I also told them about the locking lug nuts that I had them put on for me being the wrong size according to GM again he said they couldn't confrim anything without GM's Blessing. I will take him copies of these posts anyway.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On the lug nuts, my best advice on that topic would be to have them/you remove one of the locking lug nuts and then examine the wheel. What I observed was a ring at the top (outside) portion of the wheel's lug nut seat where the locking lug nut had begun to dig into the metal of the wheel. I also observed a color change in the locking lug nut's metal just above the cone tapered seat area because this metal was in contact with the wheel itself when it should not have been.

The McGard MCG-24012 wheel locks have far more surface area on the tapered cone contact area (just like the OEM regular lug nuts) than the Chevy sold locking lug nuts.

My local Chevy dealership's policy is not to accept special order parts back (which the Chevy locking lug nuts were special order parts). I simply explained what I observed on the wheel and showed him the color change (contact area) on the one that I tried and he took them back without a problem. It wasn't until later that day that he informed me of the contact he had with the GM parts group to research the locking lug nuts.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
The lug nuts turned out to be the correct ones but they had to order a new driveshaft and it is in now and I will be taking my SSR back to the dealership after the weekend. I need some driving time first. LOL !:)

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My new drive shaft is beginning to make the "tink" noise again! :banghead It's not as bad as the original drive shaft was, but "I can hear it" again. I have about 125 miles on the new drive shaft.

I just had a bad feeling when the service manager stated the part ordered was the same part number as the one on the truck. He was claiming that GM doesn't always change the part number when they revise a part. But if the 05 drive shaft is the solution to this problem and it's a different part, why wouldn't it have a different part number?

When I tried to get the service manager to confirm the shipped drive shaft was the "new 05 drive shaft" he stated he wasn't able to do that. :smash

My SSR is going back to the dealership tomorrow so they can have it while I'm on vacation so the regional person will be able to work on my "tweaked" roof tonneau cover that won't close correctly after the hinge replacement.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Rear end noise

Not 4 nothin, but I believe that the differential(positraction) unit has electronic control 2 release it when either in 1st gear(manually forced by the shifter) or when u go over 90 or 100mph. This may b the problem. The unit, like other items on the SSR, is not gettin the correct data from the comp n is reacting incorrectly causing the "clunk/clink" noise. :confused :eek

Waddaya think? :yesnod

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!" :D :D

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
part#

shiftz33 said:
My new drive shaft is beginning to make the "tink" noise again! :banghead It's not as bad as the original drive shaft was, but "I can hear it" again. I have about 125 miles on the new drive shaft.

I just had a bad feeling when the service manager stated the part ordered was the same part number as the one on the truck. He was claiming that GM doesn't always change the part number when they revise a part. But if the 05 drive shaft is the solution to this problem and it's a different part, why wouldn't it have a different part number?

When I tried to get the service manager to confirm the shipped drive shaft was the "new 05 drive shaft" he stated he wasn't able to do that. :smash

My SSR is going back to the dealership tomorrow so they can have it while I'm on vacation so the regional person will be able to work on my "tweaked" roof tonneau cover that won't close correctly after the hinge replacement.

Did you get that part #? When I asked about if it was the new and improved part "Frank" couldn't say, he only said it was the part that was researched. My info says it is part # 15173689 Shaft and that the propeller shaft assy was replaced as well.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts