Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard someone in the forum mentioning the Driveline clink. I have had it from the git go in my 2003. Does anyone know of a cure ? and is it leading to something bad in the future? And why didn't the Prowler nose dive like the SSR? I bought mine thinking it would kept its value like the prowler.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
ChuckDuck said:
I heard someone in the forum mentioning the Driveline clink. I have had it from the git go in my 2003. Does anyone know of a cure ? and is it leading to something bad in the future? And why didn't the Prowler nose dive like the SSR? I bought mine thinking it would kept its value like the prowler.
Do a search for "tink". You should come up with plenty of reading material. I am on driveshaft #3. This one went the longest before I heard the dreaded "Tink". About 3000 miles after it was installed the noise came back. From all the info that has come up it seems the only problem is the noise. There is nothing mechanically wrong. The fix was to change out the driveshaft but that has only worked sometimes. I heard that Chevy has stopped changing them because of that and is supposedly working on a fix that works.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
ChuckDuck: You and many others believe that the SSR resale is unusually low, but in fact it is not.

The difference between its and the Prowler's resale value is MARKET CONDITIONS, not anything unique to the SSR. Almost ALL American vehicles in the SSR's price range are low on resale value right now, because the factories are discounting the NEW ones a lot to move them in a soft market.

The sole exception to the overall rule is that 03 / 04 SSRs are being punished a bit more on resale value due to the 90 hp difference in engine output relative to the 05 / 06 SSRs. That makes economic sense. This particular problem was made larger than it would otherwise have been by Chevy's decision to REPLACE the 300 hp engine with the 390 hp one, rather than cotinuing to offer the 300 hp engine and offerig the 390hp one as an OPTION. THAT decision itself was apparently driven by the need to make the SSR perform a little closer to what was implied in that "car carrier" commercial, after many (most?) car magazine road tests criticized the power to weight ratio of the 300hp version.

Don't say any of the above around a GM marketing exec. It apparently offends them.:)

Jim G

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insight Jim

I was thinking that if I bought another one at the huge discount , then I could average the price between them , like when you buy more stock after it falls and then your average cost it doesn't look so bad.Buying only one more may not cut it.Well at least we 2003 SSR owners know GM's problems aren't because of us we paid full price and then some.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts