Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driver heater seat doesn't work
Passenger heater seat does work.
The power driver's seat works forward and backward, up and down.
Tried to find a fuse for just the driver seat heater, and couldn't find one except for the power seat. I am guessing it's the same fuse.
How should I check the switch to see if it's ok? I felt behind the switch and I cannot tell how to release it without maybe causing damage to the switch holder. Or do you have to remove the seat somehow. Appreciate assistance with this.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,302 Posts
No solution but following this thread. Noticed my driver's side heated seat didn't work as I drove it for winter storage... Hope it's something easy!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
My driver's side has been out a while. I'm getting the iggie seat covers for Christmas and even though they can be put on with the seat in place, I'm taking the driver's side out and trying to fix the heater problem.
But can't do anything until the 25th.
Humm... just thought, that's silly, we'ere having 12 degree weather next week. I can go ahead and start on the heater problem.

So, with the airbag fuse pulled and the seat out with the connectors apart, can the wires be tested for faults. Of course when I get the seat free I'll check the connections.

I'll certainly follow this thread. (Because I want mine fixed by Christmas- wow I had a lapse of judgement there.)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
looked up post on seat heaters could possible be a chaffed wire running under seat shorting out, plug under seat loose or undone or switch broken or gummed up from not being used......just a few thoughts.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,187 Posts
You can order the seat heater online and install them yourself. I replaced mine a few years ago when the wifey noticed her tush was as warm as it used to be.

You will need to remove the seat to replace it, but it is pretty straight forward. No specialty tool required.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,187 Posts

Attachments

·
Daily Driver
8,930 Posts
Like most fixes you have to figure out what you need to do then…

OK, I got this just take it apart.
There sure is a lot of pieces.
OMG, what did I get myself into.
Well, no going back so keep going.
I wish I knew what I was doing.
I’ll never get this back together.
I guess that’s all the pieces.
OK, just hook everything up like it was.
It probably won’t work but at least it’ll look ok.
Hey it works, I fixed it.
Honey look I did it, I fixed it.

That’s nice dear, take out the garbage.
:glol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuses to pull.
I see only 1 fuse in the engine compartment for Air Bag System, #14 fuse.
See a circuit breaker for Power seats #08 in the Center Console fuse block area. Center Console also shows #06 fuse as Driver Seat Module. Probably pull these 3 fuse/breakers.
The drivers power seat works. Just the heated seat doesn't work.
Should this be enough fuses to take out so nothing shorts while removing the seat?
There are many fuses that say Truck Body Controller. What are these all specifically for? I would think they would be more specific somewhere.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Seat Heater

Just performed this task 2 weeks ago. DO NOT ORDER THE DORMAN PART from the local parts house the element they show is for the seat back... it is labeled for the seat.... That is incorrect. To get the seat bottom you will have to go to GM direct. You will need hog rings and hog ring pliers and be able to separate the seat cover from the foam. Do not use a cheap pair of hog ring pliers they will not hold the hog ring in some of the tight places that hold the cover on.... be aware it is possible to clamp the hog ring on one of the heating elements.... just be careful. In my case, the lower heating element shorted and burned. after replacing the heating element, the lower element did not work. through testing when the element shorted it also shorted the control circuit in the Driver Seat Module for the lower heater... On a mission to locate the Seat module now...... Good Luck, just remember to take pictures as you go.... the seat will be mostly disassembled. Dictator has pictures of the seat removal and some of the disassembly........

Cruz
Cruzers Auto............

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I've had a couple of problems, when the "fix" wasn't the answer. It turned out to be another cause. With the seat out I would like to be able to test the wire that turns the heating element on. Just to be sure the element is getting the message before I get into the removing the seat cover.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Seat heater element testing
First brief description of operation
The heated seats are powered by the driver seat memory module (under seat) the voltage to the heater elements is varied to maintain the desire temperature. The bottom element has a thermistor built in to provide temperature input. Based on input from sensor and input from heater switch (low,high,off) the seat module supplies the current to the heating elements. There are TWO elements one in the bottom and a separate one in the back. The seat elements are in wired in series -- thus if one burns out they both quit working. Both seats share the same fuses and circuit breakers -- if one side works - these are not at fault

The easiest way to test switch and sensor is using a scan tool -- if they pass then test elements using an ohmmeter.

I am afraid you will need to have access to an good Ohmmeter to conduct some tests. Search you tube for operation instructions that might be similar to the meter you have if you need help.
Totally inoperative seat heater one one side - possible causes in no particular order: heater switch, bottom heater element, seat temperature sensor (part of bottom element), back heater element, seat module and wiring under seat.

You can test some of the components with ohmmeter (no scan tool)
Picture 1 -- show the locations and resistance specs for the tests -- note you will disconnect the connectors and then the place the ohmmeter leads on the male terminals of the connectors or the heater switch. It does not matter which one is red or black - just be sure to test the proper ones - confirm this not only by my pictures but the color of the wires also.
Picture 2 - shows all the wiring from the bottom view of seat - the four wire heater connector should be #1 - confirm with wire colors
Picture 3 - the four wire connector test temperature sensor = measure resistance between terminals D and C should be approx 3-11 K Ohms if way to high or low temperature sensor is bad and the bottom seat element needs replaced. If ok measure resistance between terminal A and B should be 2-4 Ohms (this is the resistance of BOTH elements wired in series with 1-2 ohms each) If not ok the problem is one of the two seat elements - you must test the back element resistance. If ok problem is not the heating elements
Picture 4 - the two wire connector -- could not find location -- should be near the back of the seat - not sure if accessible from bottom or if seat back (the large plastic part) has to be removed. The resistance of the element should be 1-2 ohms. If not ok seat back heating element is bad. If seat back tested ok but the previous test was not - seat bottom heating element is bad
Picture 5 seat heater switch -- it shows a 8 cavity connector at the switch but only uses two wires? unplug the switch and measure resistance of the switch (not the wires) between these two locations. Ohmmeter should read "out of limits" ( the same it reads when measure resistance with the leads not connected to anything!) in off, close to 4530 on low and close to 4530 on high

Hope this helps and one of these proves to be faulty.
Let me know if you have questions, I will try to help

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
16 is for the bottom - the back is #15
I had to replace the back seat cushions on Marie's Impala -- heating element burned out - element not separate had to buy complete leather cover. With A new back cover -- The bottom would have looked even more worn out so I replaced both. Mike Byers helped me obtain these parts as wheel.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Mine was working until I made a modification...I bet I'm not the first to say that about an "R".
I took the seats out to insulate underneath. When they were back in the driver's side did not work. I hope that is my problem, ...to much tension on a connector.
Thanks for all the input, a few of us have this problem.

I'll post again with my solution.

Testing to make sure the connections were tight had no change in activity. I used a small precision screwdriver and pressed down on each of the harness wires that were involved in the disconnection of the seat removal. I didn't notice any wires "reseating" and nothing changed.

Also, I said it was working before I took the seat out, but that could have been weeks or maybe even a couple of months. It is not something I used a lot, so on to the next part of the culprit search, after a stop at O'Rielys's

·
Two Tone Owner
2,616 Posts
My drivers side doesn't work either. At one of the forum workshops in Florida, someone asked Mike Moro about this and he said the seat heater is just below the leather covering and if you stand or kneel on the seat cushion, you probably broke the heater. I think that's what I did to mine. Kneeling on the seat to clean the back window.
I did not take mine apart to see if that is the problem. :yellow:

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I decided to take a visual route and took the seat apart. Unless your are really fit(strong and durable) and really want to use your seat heater, or unless it is on the wife's side, I'd say think about living with it like it is.

Mi e was burned, just like I had seen posted on here before.
I took the Satin part of the seat top to take off the seat belt holder- saw the back end of the bolts-put all that back together.
Pulled the fuses and took the seat out with the belt attached.
Took off the plastic under the front and the side-after I got the seat out.
Started to take the botom seat cover off so I could see under it. Had to take it nearly all the way off. Took out the hog rings.
Disconnected the power to the element -two connectors and then the wire can be pulled through the seat.

Here are some pictures of the event.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
@HUAW @Autoprof @ssrsp

here a few more pics

Edited to add(12/27/2018)
You may be able to see it a little in the first pic. Where the burn is, there is a groove in the foam rubber. I just lay my element pad across the seat. But have since realized, that if I had stuffed the element into the groove, it could have flexed more, especially when a knee is put on the seat. Mine has been working since the repair and I'm not going through it again just to make that correction. I also remember I shouldn't put my knee on it most of the times right after I do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Surprised you never smelt anything burning unless it was like this before you bought it.

This question is for the SSR Guru's who have been around for awhile does the material used in the seats have some type of fire retardant to them or are all of us looking at a possible fire down the road. If the later is the case I think I can handle a cold butt and warmer pants then having to replace my R.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
From here
The one you need is #16 from GMPARTSDIRECT.COM
https://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...bC12OC1nYXM=

List Price: $165.13
You Save: $51.19 (31% off)
Sale Price: $113.94

Other places sell the same item part #89039204, shipping so far has been around $7 to over $23. As usual, the cheaper the part the more shipping cost.:banghead
You might save a few dollars by shopping around.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Surprised you never smelt anything burning unless it was like this before you bought it.

This question is for the SSR Guru's who have been around for awhile does the material used in the seats have some type of fire retardant to them or are all of us looking at a possible fire down the road. If the later is the case I think I can handle a cold butt and warmer pants then having to replace my R.
It did work for me. Yeah, that is odd, I have a keen sense of smell. My wife will take something out of the refrigerator , I'll be across the room and she'll say "What do think.."and I'll interrupt and say "Oh man! Throw it away":grin2:

I would think it would have had an electrical smell, foam, and plastic or vinyl smell combined.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
From here
The one you need is #16 from GMPARTSDIRECT.COM
https://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...bC12OC1nYXM=

List Price: $165.13
You Save: $51.19 (31% off)
Sale Price: $113.94

Other places sell the same item part #89039204, shipping so far has been around $7 to over $23. As usual, the cheaper the part the more shipping cost.:banghead
You might save a few dollars by shopping around.
Wolfpacker
Glad you got it figured out. I wish it had been a connection. Check with Mike Byers before ordering from somebody you don't know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts