Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If finally gave up, the door would open sometimes after a thorough lubricating with silicone but now it won’t open from the outside. I had removed the door panel and it all seemed in place and tight. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Daily Driver
8,948 Posts
Does it look like the lock button pops all the way up when unlocked with the remote?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it look like the lock button pops all the way up when unlocked with the remote?
Yes it goes all the way up and the window will index down but the handle doesn’t open the door. It opens fine from the inside.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,278 Posts
Could be the TORX shoulder bolt that holds the pivot arm in the exterior handle has loosened and backed out.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
You can pull the two nuts off of the inside of the door handle mount and pull the handle out far enough to get a look......

Gary is right. The torx is a high probability. If the torx has backed out, the pivot will no longer engage the mechanism properly. If the torx has completely fallen out, you will find it (and the pivot) in the bottom of the door. If this is the case, you may also need to look for the hard black plastic pivot contact point that fits into a recess in the handle.....

My two cents,

Mike

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can pull the two nuts off of the inside of the door handle mount and pull the handle out far enough to get a look......

Gary is right. The torx is a high probability. If the torx has backed out, the pivot will no longer engage the mechanism properly. If the torx has completely fallen out, you will find it (and the pivot) in the bottom of the door. If this is the case, you may also need to look for the hard black plastic pivot contact point that fits into a recess in the handle.....

My two cents,

Mike
Thanks for the info, I will try this over the weekend and report back with results. The SSR family makes the experience of owning :ssr even better.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Yep,my guess too.Mine does this every so often.Pull the door panel and tighten up the torx head. I was going to pull mine out and loctite it back in,but was afraid I would drop the dang thing in the bottom of the door. My dirt road creates a vibration in the truck and I guess that's what loosens it up.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,933 Posts
Be sure to check both of the white rod end bushing/clips. They are 15yrs old now and Not a 'maintenance free" part. they just don't make them out of steel like they used to. nothing seems to "squeek and rattle" anymore.... it just goes Cheap...Cheap...Cheap...:glol:glol:glol

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine went bad today also, happen to be near a sound shop that has done work on the car before. The push rod did come out, so a quick fix. The guy who did the work for me, happen to notice another questionable part that he thought was failing Not sure, i happen to have pulled up the Dicktator page for repair just in case he needed some guidance. He had it done before the page loaded on the phone. I did take a couple of pictures for others to look see what I am not seeing as bad part. The is a white plastic part above the roller he said was a possible failure soon. Okay i guess I have no idea.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s done

I finally was able to work on the driver side outside door handle that wouldn’t open. Thanks to all who provided information and special thanks to Tom Sorensen who gave me final advice on how tight the Torx screw should be.
1. Door panel removed as per Dictators how to library
2. Torx screw that looked tight but it wasn’t
3. Used T15 to tighten
4. Door closed
5. Door open and all put back together, no extra parts and a tremendous sense of accomplishment. Can’t stop grinning.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
That's great. I don't know why those things won't stay tight.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doc, don't keep us In suspense -- what did Tom say? How tight should the Torx be?? :nerd:
“Snug it up but do not over do it.” So I tightened until it gave me resistance, small space and large hands made it tricky but the proof was testing without closing the door. I used a screwdriver to lock it then opened the lock with the outside handle. Plenty of silicone spray to lubricate and it opens like new.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,490 Posts
Good for you. Did you use any Loctite? And you have those GOOD LOOKING door sill inserts.
Do you have the pedal covers?

Nick

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good for you. Did you use any Loctite? And you have those GOOD LOOKING door sill inserts.
Do you have the pedal covers?

Nick
Didn’t use loctite and don’t have pedal covers. Haven’t thought about pedal covers, oh well something else to get.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts