Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
SSR - 2006 - LS2 - AUTO
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked through previous posts for problems with the door module / mirrors not working, with bad wires where the door opens being a common fault. I have a couple of issues that started at the same time, so not just one bad wire. All of the below had been working......
Both the power mirrors don't work - the "remote" locks both doors, but will only open the passenger side. From the inside, the console door lock switch does the same thing. When I drive off both doors lock, only the passenger side opens when I switch the ignition off. I then need to manually lift the door lock pin to get out. From the outside, the key will open the drivers door, not the passengers side, I assume that it should have central locking facility when using the key. I am not sure as I only ever use the remote fob.
I have checked the relevant fuses and swapped the door control module around with a compatible one in the roof hold compartment.
Something else that may be relevant to this, is the auto indexing on both sides stops working following the drivers door locking. I have to sit in the car and lower the window down then back fully closed, that seems to reset it. I then exit the car and it works automatically again. Possibly connected ? or an unrelated issue 馃槙

Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
It sounds like some of the issues caused by the door locks getting corrosion in them. This happens from weather or even just washing the truck. Water goes down the window and hits the lock module. The easiest thing is to pull them and send to someone to make repairs. Dragon2U has repaired all of mine for me. I think he also has some new ones for sale. Dicktator also has an exchange program. Send him your old ones and he has repaired ones to send out so it is a quicker turn around then having yours repaired. Check with @Dragon2U or @Dicktator they both offer service.

Buying used ones can give you the same problem with a different part. Or a different problem. If I were going the used part route I would send them to be repaired before I put them on the truck.

SSR Pit Crew
You can remove Door Latch/Lock Module and do some "cleaning" yourself.

Just be careful not to break anything.

Contact get very corroded from rain and car wash. Should lube Door Latch/Lock module at least a couple of times a year.

Small electric motor to "Pop" up/down door locks. Gets wet also and fails has to be replaced.

White part on module is for "detent" windows.

Instructions for removal on my SSR How to Library: New folder - OneDrive (live.com)

Look up DOOR LATCH LOCK MODULE

Dicktator

Attachments

Registered
2004 Ultra Violet
Can you lube the Door Latch/Lock Module without removing the door panel? If so, how is this done?

Premium Member
04 SSR
Have you tried relearning the windows to help with indexing.

The power mirrors are not computer controlled. The may share a power or ground to door lock signals, i will check tomorrow

There is only one door lock cylinder located on drivers side. You cannot use a key on passenger side. Like most cars for years, there is no place for it. The manual lock cylinder has no electrical signals. In fact if you set the theft deterrent alarm, unlocking with key will set it off.

The door locks use 3 relays contolled by BCM, not the roof door module. The relays are 1 to lock all doors, a different one unlocks passenger door and the third unlocks drivers door. This is done so that when you puch key fob once the driver door unlock relay unlocks drivers door. You must push unlock button a second time to unlock passenger door.

I am not sure i fully understand your door lock issue.

The driver unlock relay is in the realy center located inside roof storage area.

With that said, does passenger door lock and unlock properly with key fob and console switch.

Does drivers door lock properly but just won't unlock using key fob, console switch or putting into park?

I will supply some testing ideas once you respond.

You could try swapping the door unlock relay (in rear fuse box) with driver door unlock relay (in roof storage relay center). If symptoms change, you have a bad relay.

Premium Member
04 SSR
Can you lube the Door Latch/Lock Module without removing the door panel? If so, how is this done?
Yes you can get some in there, look at the one drive. Try operating lock with knob on drivers door to get lube worked in. It does take more effort for the motor to unlock versus lock. But its the same motor. Polarity is reversed to make it move in opposing directions.

Super Road Rocket Pilot
I have looked through previous posts for problems with the door module / mirrors not working, with bad wires where the door opens being a common fault. I have a couple of issues that started at the same time, so not just one bad wire. All of the below had been working......
Both the power mirrors don't work - Could be the switch in the door, no relation to the door lock. I think the mirror switch goes directly to the driver mirror and then through door wiring to the passenger. So if you have failure in both I would think the switch, but you need to pull off the door panel and check for voltage to and from the switch to get a handle on what is happening and where to go next. Maybe a coincidence both failed?

the "remote" locks both doors, but will only open the passenger side. From the inside, the console door lock switch does the same thing. When I drive off both doors lock, only the passenger side opens when I switch the ignition off. I then need to manually lift the door lock pin to get out. From the outside,
Most likely this is due to a weak motor in the door latch that drives the lock and unlock position and actually moves the door lock pin up and down, it is a well known issue. I have seen weak motors work in one direction and not the other, mostly total failure though.

the key will open the drivers door, not the passengers side, I assume that it should have central locking facility when using the key. I am not sure as I only ever use the remote fob. No, using the key will only open the driver door.

I have checked the relevant fuses and swapped the door control module around with a compatible one in the roof hold compartment.
Something else that may be relevant to this, is the auto indexing on both sides stops working following the drivers door locking. I have to sit in the car and lower the window down then back fully closed, that seems to reset it. I then exit the car and it works automatically again. Possibly connected ? or an unrelated issue
The door indexing is again mostly controlled by the door lock. When it senses a motion in one of the latches it sends a signal to the computer, the computer sends a signal to the window to drop. If the problem is intermittent and your relays are good, your problem could be caused by corrosion in the lock mechanism. But, it sounds like you are saying that it works over and over again until a certain time, like days after a recalibration? If that is the case then it might be a weak battery that is causing a memory drop in the RDM. Holding the window switch in the up position for a few seconds and then in the down position for a few seconds is the calibration procedure for the window indexing calibration.

You will not be able to get to the motor or the index sensing mechanisms with lube, even if the door latch is removed from the truck you would need to take it apart. The only thing that the lube could do is correct a sticking latch, I can't see much more it would do and nothing for your current issues. As DIck pointed out above, you need to take the door lock apart to get to the internals and clean/replace parts.

Helpful Links

Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo
Billet letters for tailgate and under hood

Registered
SSR - 2006 - LS2 - AUTO
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thanks everyone for your support, what a fantastic forum. It will take a while to digest all of the information, l will get back to you all once I have checked it all through, starting with removing the door panel!!

SSR Pit Crew
Yup! Here is how.

Had good success with DW-40 SILICONE Home Depot, Lowes. Dries without leaving "oil" residue. Dielectric

Dicktator

Attachments

Registered
2004 Ultra Violet
Thanks for the detailed photos and lube suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Super Road Rocket Pilot
It works, I can vouch for that, at least temporarily.

Dave
Yup, just prolonging the inevitable. You can lube the crap out of the outside and it might make things slicker to allow the worn out motor to make a few more movements, but I cannot see it working in the long term. To do it correctly it needs to be taken apart and cleaned, repaired or replaced as you cannot get lube into the sealed mechanism.

Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
Having three trucks I learned on the first one. As soon as my doors act up, I pull it apart and send it to @Dragon2U he has fixed my door latches on all of my trucks. I keep a spare set of latches that he has repaired for just in case situations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts