Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Fuse

The seat heater doesn't have a separate fuse, it is tied to the seat control. If the seat moves it is probably the heater element. Not fun.

Jack

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Seat back and bottom heaters are wired in Series. Because temp sensor is part of the bottom seat, the control module can then turn off and on both heaters with one output. If one heating element fails both will shut off.
A lot of good seat heater information on this thread.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/driver-heater-seat-doesn-t-work-225410/

Bottom not too bad if your familiar with hot rings, back of seat I thought was little more difficult.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
My drivers seat gets TOO hot ... right where my left leg rests on the seat cushion. Does that mean a heating element is too close to leather seat cover ??? Right side of seat is OK. Passenger seat is normal.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
:|

What I'm about to add here is (opposite) of the original posted problem. But I gotta believe I'm not the only one to experience the "hot seat" when it's already warm outside and you had no intentions of having the seat heater on.

If you keep your SSR in a garage space where there is limited space on the drivers side and you kinda gotta only partially open the drivers door to get in so you don't bump the outside of the door into something close in the garage.

This usually translates to your sliding sideways as you try to get into the drivers seat. Part of that action quite often has you sliding your butt in first.......followed by shifting your legs up and over the seat front.........During that process, you can/might.........with your leg/foot bump into the heat seater switch and kick it on without knowing it.

It has happened multiple times to me, just sayin.......................:wink2:

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Moscooter, you can fix that with a Dremel. A little relief cut over the switch and no more problems. Worked for me anyway.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,551 Posts
Okay, who else has had the dreaded "Hot Seat"?? - :surprise:

>>>> 2018-12-27-20-13-48--1680172259.jpeg <<<<​

==============
David :black:
2018-12-26-10-07-33--1491603392.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,009 Posts

What I'm about to add here is (opposite) of the original posted problem. But I gotta believe I'm not the only one to experience the "hot seat" when it's already warm outside and you had no intentions of having the seat heater on.

If you keep your SSR in a garage space where there is limited space on the drivers side and you kinda gotta only partially open the drivers door to get in so you don't bump the outside of the door into something close in the garage.

This usually translates to your sliding sideways as you try to get into the drivers seat. Part of that action quite often has you sliding your butt in first.......followed by shifting your legs up and over the seat front.........During that process, you can/might.........with your leg/foot bump into the heat seater switch and kick it on without knowing it.

Not bumping the switch. Getting in and sitting compresses the seat and the flimsy plastic side panel moves down hitting the switch. See Dicktators fix. You need to remove some plastic above the switch to prevent the contact.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts

Happens to me 80% of the time. Don't mind it now that we're in cooler weather, but will do the fix before warm weather returns.

"SJA" Steve

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Not bumping the switch. Getting in and sitting compresses the seat and the flimsy plastic side panel moves down hitting the switch. See Dicktators fix. You need to remove some plastic above the switch to prevent the contact.
In my case, after a few occurrences of an unwanted seat heater on......I observed my leg and foot movement as I would get in. Actually saw my foot catch the switch as I rotated my legs to get under the steering wheel.

I don't weigh all that much and do not think I'm compressing some "flimsy plastic panel" to activate it although I'll keep that in mind if it continues to happen.:surprise:

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,551 Posts
Or perhaps there has been a case of "exceeding the weight-load limitations" of the victim-seat!!!

~~~~ 2018-12-28-09-09-40--614319341.jpeg ~~~~​

:surprise:

==============
David :black:
2018-12-27-11-35-10-1652721257.jpeg

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
seat

Thanks for info Dictator. will check wire on switch as I,m in an out a lot Still drive everyday to work.. Going to hang it up in few short month,s and get down to okc house.. Time to take care of us instead of boss. Hope to have farm ground sold shortly. Lost mom in Oct.. Denny & Kay

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Thanks for info Dictator. will check wire on switch as I,m in an out a lot Still drive everyday to work.. Going to hang it up in few short month,s and get down to okc house.. Time to take care of us instead of boss. Hope to have farm ground sold shortly. Lost mom in Oct.. Denny & Kay
Denny, sorry for your loss.

If you have access to a tech 2 or an enhanced scan tool you can view input from switch and also command the seat heaters on and off to help determine where problem exists.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,009 Posts
In my case, after a few occurrences of an unwanted seat heater on......I observed my leg and foot movement as I would get in. Actually saw my foot catch the switch as I rotated my legs to get under the steering wheel.

I don't weigh all that much and do not think I'm compressing some "flimsy plastic panel" to activate it although I'll keep that in mind if it continues to happen.:surprise:
I thought the same thing, I'm 160 dripping wet and its still is enough to do it after about three or four entry exits. I even tested it getting in and out of the truck several times, each time it would press on the top of the switch a little until it finally turned it on Low.
Trimmed the plastic above the switch and it has never happened since.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
I thought the same thing, I'm 160 dripping wet and its still is enough to do it after about three or four entry exits. I even tested it getting in and out of the truck several times, each time it would press on the top of the switch a little until it finally turned it on Low.
Trimmed the plastic above the switch and it has never happened since.
:surprise:

Well, OK I do indeed own a Dremel and my ride is apart waiting on the return of my PCM getting re-programmed for the 456 set. We weigh pretty much the same, so I'm now convinced to do a little "trim" job.:smile2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts