Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has probably been discussed elsewhere, but I am looking for a few quick opinions.

My drivers side window is intermittent. It goes down no problem, but I need to push the button several times before it will go up. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking it must be the switch, but thats just a guess.

Any suggestions on what to look for first?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Mine does just the opposite.Goes up great,but sometimes have to push harder to get it to go down.I'm sure mines in the switch,because the more I use it the better it works. The truck had set for several months when I bought it and several of the switches seemed "sticky".Now they all work pretty good,except the drivers window.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,550 Posts
It could be a loose or corroded connector in the door.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,648 Posts
Since this question is more technical in nature I will move it to the SSR Tech Thread.

*Note to members that any SSR questions being asked should be posted into the proper forum(s). The reason being is that our site was set up to more easily help direct members to specific topic forums to help them get their answers quicker.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
How does it work when using top up button. I had same problem when raising roof and holding down on top button, window worked perfectly every time. I removed and disassembled switch plate assembly. I found the contact had come loose from silicone bottom. I switched out chrome cover with spare satin one. Still haven't repaired old switch yet. I think @Dragon2U can repair for you or give you advice. I have been meaning to ask what kind of glue he recommends to reattach the contact disc.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,368 Posts
I know that this has probably been discussed elsewhere, but I am looking for a few quick opinions.

My drivers side window is intermittent. It goes down no problem, but I need to push the button several times before it will go up. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking it must be the switch, but thats just a guess.

Any suggestions on what to look for first?

Thanks!
Most likely just dirty contacts. Loosen the setscrew in front of the shifter, slide it off, then pop off the shifter plate with the switches by pulling up in all 4 corners, remove the bottom screws that hold the assembly together, and clean the copper contacts both on the switch side and circuit board side. If it is really dirty lightly use an eraser from a pencil, then follow up with some 90% alcohol. If not too bad just use the alcohol.

How does it work when using top up button. I had same problem when raising roof and holding down on top button, window worked perfectly every time. I removed and disassembled switch plate assembly. I found the contact had come loose from silicone bottom. I switched out chrome cover with spare satin one. Still haven't repaired old switch yet. I think @Dragon2U can repair for you or give you advice. I have been meaning to ask what kind of glue he recommends to reattach the contact disc.
Hmmmmm, I never ran into that issue before. Adhering to silicone is usually pretty hard to do. I would probably test it with some black RTV silicone adhesive and see how it holds.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,550 Posts
This is doubtful. The roof door module uses the same two wires to make window go up and down. The polarity is reversed to make motor spin in the opposite direction.
Learned something new. Makes sense of course.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,933 Posts
I don't know for sure, but if it's some sort of 'graphite' dot which makes contact to two copper traces on a circuit board, then.... how to replicate that process. gluing a copper shim material would wear out the CB tracing. Double sticky won't hold enough graphite powder. Maybe 'shave' a Fat pencil lead down and glue it??? Oh Well, Switches are still Available to buy new. Just a few thoughts.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No trouble raising and lowering the top. Just raising the drivers window. Makes me think it's the contacts in the switch, but it have no idea how to tear the console apart to find out.

·
Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
Okay, I am not condoning this action, but I got this from Fuji - HaHa!
I took everything apart, my console, changed the ignition switch - nothing worked (I couldn't get my driver side up or down)
Fuji said, tap the regulator with a hammer
I thought that was kind of nuts but as a last resort I did that - haven't had a problem since!
Thanks again Fuji! :thumbs
I think in my case, much like the ignition switch I think, the regulator gears got out of line.
In my csse, it just wasn't working - yours is sort of working, so not sure if Fuji Magic is applicable

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
No trouble raising and lowering the top. Just raising the drivers window. Makes me think it's the contacts in the switch, but it have no idea how to tear the console apart to find out.
It's not actually the top I was mentioning. It is how the windows go up automatically if you continue to hold top up button. Then when you press top down windows go down first. My window eventually would not work from window switch but after top latched window went up.

I will take some picture as I dissemble old on. But, it might be next weekend before I find time.

Check the DIY PowerPoint, possibly switch plate removal is part of shifter bushing replace. Which you should consider when the switch plate is removed.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Hmmmmm, I never ran into that issue before. Adhering to silicone is usually pretty hard to do. I would probably test it with some black RTV silicone adhesive and see how it holds.
It obvious that whatever they used didn't work so well either, after dissemble t I found a few more that were kind of floating where they would still work. I was worried that silicone adhesive might reduce clearance too much. Will try a very very small dab with toothpick. I wonder if they changed designs?
@yellow bear thank you for your suggestions. I think I have all discs that were loose.

·
Two Tone Owner
2,726 Posts
It worked in both directions, but would only inch at a time. It would not go all the way up or down when pushing the button. You had to keep pushing the button to get the window all the way. It started off intermittent and progressively got worse.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,368 Posts

AAAAhhhhhhhh, I agree, I posted the procedure in post 6 above............

In the below link are some pictures of the bottom of the console that I took when I replaced the lights. You can see the 4 clips that release by pulling up on the corners of the console. Once you take off the torx screws around the bottom the entire assembly splits apart allowing you to gain access to the switch internal parts. Nothing to take apart after you get the screws out, the button is not sealed, it is a simple rocker switch that makes and breaks contact with the circuit board beneath.
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/shift-console-light-repair-how-63278/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts