Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Driveshaft

I have a 2003 SSR and am now on my third driveshaft. It has been replaced because of a "tink" noise when you accelerate or slow down. My third one was to be the new and improved model. It too is making this noise.

Why was your driveshaft changed?

What is your vin #......?

·
Registered
341 Posts
We might not be looking at the right problem , i have noticed this with my 04 which has 2200 miles,and it has made a slight tink or clink a few times , when i get home from christmas i will get under the vehicle with it in neutral with the e brake on and twist the driveshaft back and forward to see howmuch backlash there is in the rear end gears . in my opinion for what its worth, others may differ , is that what we are hearing is differential back lash noise being amplified by the hollow aluminum drive shaft
I might be wrong ,and i will let you all know right or wrong

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Mine was changed once and is making the same "tink" noise again. I hope you find out more I haven't taken it back yet!

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Driveshaft Problems 2005 Ssr

Vin is 115293 Built Sept 15 2004
We noticed a high pitch "ting" sound when put in gear or driving in reverse. At first, I thought the 400HP was too much for it with the automatic. I wanted a six speed, but, my wife likes to drive it! Also have a Z06 (Z16) Comm Ed Corvette, no problems.
Took it to the dealer telling them I thought it was the universal joints. Next thing I know, they are ordering a driveshaft.
If several of you have had this problem, it seems they should be able to identify it.
Thanks for the info.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,696 Posts
Drive Shaft "tink" Issues

POSI-LOCK said:
At 1100 Miles Dealer Is Replacing The Driveshaft. Anyone Else Had This Experience?
My question here is: if Chevrolet has already identified that the "tink" issues are supposedly related to the older drive shaft design, then why wouldn't the new 05s be using the newer re-designed drive shafts??? :confused

PS. Or... is the newer "re-designed" replacement drive shafts only to be used for those that have problems with the "tink" issue?

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,149 Posts
I had my driveshaft replaced about a month ago with the new design one. I just started hearing the tink again. Not as often but its there.

·
Registered
371 Posts
joedecat said:
We might not be looking at the right problem , i have noticed this with my 04 which has 2200 miles,and it has made a slight tink or clink a few times , when i get home from christmas i will get under the vehicle with it in neutral with the e brake on and twist the driveshaft back and forward to see howmuch backlash there is in the rear end gears . in my opinion for what its worth, others may differ , is that what we are hearing is differential back lash noise being amplified by the hollow aluminum drive shaft
I might be wrong ,and i will let you all know right or wrong
:agree

I have to agree with joedecat as to the origin of the "tink". I have owned nothing but chevrolets for the past 25 years and I have heard the "tink" in my trucks, Z-28, and others. I think it is amplified more by the aluminum driveshaft, as with the old steel drifshaft tubes, the "tink" didn't seem as loud.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clink noise

I have noticed the same noise when; going from a slow coast (about 5mph) to normal drive....I have a 2005, built in Sept 04.

Dealer said " it is searching for the right gear" sounded like they were trying to get rid of me.....

Next step for me; is taking to a friend who is with GM, in the service mgt for dealers in the Northwest and we will be going for a test drive together after Christmas.

If I come up with some answers I pass along

Ed/horseracing
Issaquah, Wa
2001 vet
2005 SSR, Aqua Blur

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,631 Posts
I've owned many Chevy's in the past and many other RWD cars/trucks. None of them made this noise. And yes I know about and can detect gear slop noises in any car with RWD.

My 03 SSR did NOT make this noise for the first 250 miles. Then the "tink" noise started and became louder until the drive shaft was replaced. The replacement drive shaft was the same type/design and it too was quiet for the first 250 miles of driving. Then the lovely tink noise returned.

There is definitely a time period after first installation of the drive shaft that the noise DOES NOT occur. After the drive shaft was replaced the same gear slop noise from the rear end and/or tranny would still be there but the tink noise was not there.

Either the drive shaft is failing in some manner after some amount of stress is place on it or (as someone else has stated on this site) the amount grease on the splines thins out to allow more slop or noise to be created/transmitted.

We first tested my 03 SSR for the noise and the service manager instantly heard the noise. We then went to one of the dealership owned SSRs with several thousand more miles on it than mine had on it and the same conditions/test resulted in no noise. That was one of the only times I had no resistance from the service department on my SSR problems.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Another possible problem could be that the eye holes that the u joints slide or are pressed into are not thick enough and are stetching slightly enough to allow u joint caps to shift and cause the noise . If this problem was a structural defect in the shaft some one would have reported that their drive shaft had a catastophic failure , ie shearing of at welds or some where in the centre shaft. A drive shaft is not rocket science and is probably the most simple piece off equiptment on a car
Has any one heard of some one having a drive shaft falure.?

·
Registered
131 Posts
joedecat said:
Another possible problem could be that the eye holes that the u joints slide or are pressed into are not thick enough and are stetching slightly enough to allow u joint caps to shift and cause the noise . If this problem was a structural defect in the shaft some one would have reported that their drive shaft had a catastophic failure , ie shearing of at welds or some where ib the centre shaft. A drive shaft is not rocket science and is probably the most simple piece off equiptment on a car
Has any one heard of some one having a drive shaft falure.?
"Just GM support failure to resolve it along with a half adozen other issues" :rant

I wonder if C6 owners are getting all the defects? :banghead :banghead

·
Registered
162 Posts
my '05 6 speed seems to have this noise too - but there is no TSB for the 05s??? can someone post the TSB # for the 04 so i can at least point my dealer to it for reference?

thanks!
Wes

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
How about 2 rearends and the truck does not have 1700 miles on it. Not just the insides, but the entire rearend...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Well my 58 vette had the same sound so when I got my SSR I guess I was use to it and it doesn't seem like it is hurting anything other than the noise

·
Registered
21 Posts
Driveshaft after 1500 miles

my 05 built in Sept. 04 has also the "tinki" and the driveshaft will be replace with a modified one
The technician showed me on a GM bulletin about this problem and it will be replace with a driveshaft, which has a what they called " a massive Bumper" whatever that means.
I have to wait appr. 2 weeks because its a special order.

I keep everybody informed

Marc

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
My new driveshaft on my 04 has NOT tinged, but I have only had it for under 1000 miles so far. It is a great echo chamber though because of its thin gage material and large diameter!
Jim G

·
Registered
162 Posts
marc can you give us some way to reference this GM bulletin that we can show to our dealers.

thanks!
Wes

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Dealer has ordered one for my 05. Not so much for the "tink", but to see if it will dampen the whine from the rear end. The service bulletin is #PIT3186. Ross :flag

1 - 20 of 24 Posts