Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next summer my wife and I plan on driving the SSR over a two week period of time across the entire country. I was wondering if anyone on this board had done that and could suggest a good route and best way to research routes for this type of experience. We plan on driving from Va. south and follow the southern route of the country as much as possible, then head towards New Mexico and Southern California, go up the coast, go across at Oregon or Washington, and follow the Northern route back to Va. MY biggest concern is TORNADOES!!! We will most likely go in July or August and that is peak tornado season. I think avoiding tornado alley is a good thing. :party

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Ed, I think 18 wheelers are a much larger threat to you on your trip than tornadoes. Surely the SSR can outrun a tornado. Come through Dallas on I30 and I will meet you en route. Wildcat can you show up?

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Make sure to include Sequoia and Kings Canyon

The Generals Highway loop (Hyw 180 out of Fresno and back down into the valley on Hwy 198 to Visalia) should not be overlooked. You could then continue on 198 toward the central coast and take Hwy 1 north to Big Sur and points beyond. 500+ miles of quality SSR miles...

Check out the higher res photos in the gallery...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Total Est. Time:* 44 hours, 49 minutes
Total Est. Distance:*2861.77 miles
According to map quest, if I drove non stop (which I won't), that is the time and distance to my brother's home in San Louis Obispo. It's actually Atascodero. Looks like route 40 goes all the way across the country! We drove north to south on the California coast from Bellingham Washington to Mexico one year in a rental car and had a ball! I definately want to see Las Vegas, find out and see where Georgia O'keeffe did her work and got her inspiration for painting, see the grand canyon, see the desert in bloom, catch some of the great sites in Texas, and who knows what else. Two weeks is rather limited to do a whole lot but we shall see. I have all year to research the trip and see what each state has to offer. Going back on the Northern route does not look like it could fit into a two week trip. There is no way I will leave my Chocolate lab more than two weeks! Right now, I am getting ready for our anual trip to Costa Rica and have a very important meeting with a perfect overhead point break wave in the middle of nowhere! C Ya in two weeks! :party

·
Registered
222 Posts
Costa Rica???

Ed, U goin 2 Jaco/Hermosa Bch? :)

:cool

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We try to stay away from the Tamarindo, Jaco, Hermosa area. That country was beautiful 10 years ago but now has become totally Americanized with little or no adventure to it. It is totally civilized. We prefer the more wild adventurous southern areas. In spite of their remoteness, you can still find some pretty nice amenities. My favorite is Mal Pais, land of perpetual surf. It is never below head high and July and August are usually double to tripple overhead surf. The birdwatching is world class and trips to Cabo Blanco Island are superb with volcanic vents, exotic animals, the works. I am actually staying on the very edge of the Cabo Blanco Reserve. The hotel has a perfect left point when the swell direciton is just right. You can read about last years trip here:

http://edobermeyer.com/MalPaisjourney/MalPais.html

Don't get me wrong about Jaco. Nice place for a vacation and all, especially with a family, but it lacks the adventure we crave!

Ed :cheers

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Pueblo, Colorado to Montrose to Durango to Mexican Hat, Utah to Monument Valley to Page, Arizona to Grand Canyon North Rim to Zion National Park to Las Vegas. My wife and I did this last year in an SSR. This is a very scenic route. You pass by Mesa Verde NP if you have time to stop. The drive into the park is also very scenic. I am not sure what you like, but you need to seek information about Texas from our Texas buddies. Unless you go to Big Bend or Guadeloupe NP there are not a lot of scenic drives in Texas by my standards.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Hill country

Careful freeze - you're talkin' about God's country. :) There's seacoast, mountains over 8000 feet and more lakes than Minnesota. Just gotta take some time. If you stay on I-20 or I-10 - you're not going to see much. But I-20 down to I-10 through hill country and then the lower desert - it will be a pretty trip.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
I knew that was a risky statement, but I was sure the Texas Rangers would set me straight.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pass through San Francisco Bay Area.

Judging from all the suggestions, you'll need at least three weeks! (LOL).

Freezer is right! Maybe exit I-10 and head north in New Mexico at Albuquerque. Go up to Santa Fe, (nicer to stay the night in Santa Fe than Albuquerque) and go into Colorado/Utah, see all that, then drop into Arizona to see the Grand Canyon, Crater National Park and the Painted desert (plan a stay in Sedona if possible), on to Vegas. Then you can slide into the LA basin, but don't let the trip through the desert get to you.. Take it from me, you won't miss much by avoiding 1-10 from Albuquerque westbound. Besides, there is so much more to see moving up around I-40 from that point. (you might miss San Diego, but it is so crowded in the summer now, its not fun anymore).

Anyway, if you get up to the Bay Area, I can offer you a house to stay in for a day or two, in San Leandro, hill, view, hot tub!

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Just remember crossing Texas is about an 10 hour drive and you don't want to miss the bluebonnetts in the Hill Country. I would pick the curviest roads I could find the SSR is a blast on hills and curves. Just let us know when you heading through we can convoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts