Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on driving through Canada from Western NY to get to Michigan for the SSR Homecoming. Question....What legal documentation do I need to carry to get into Canada and back into the US?? And....how much time (and mileage) am I saving by doing this. I've planned the trip to Buffalo from the Adirondacks but will wait for unput before finishing the trip schedule.

Any other helpful hints on going this way would be appreciated. I know I can count on guys (and gals) to info.

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just got back from Canada in my Smokin Asphalt SSR.
Now I gotta clean those bugs off the front.

I paid like $3.95 a gallon for regular gas, after converting liters into US gallons and Canadian dollars into US dollars.
They only asked where I was going and how long I was staying when I went in.
Coming out, the US wanted to see drivers license with photo ID. The gal at the customs post asked "who owns that car?" Of course they always want to know if you are bringing in alcohol, cigarettes or firearms.

There are sections of the 401 after London and before Windsor that are termed the "killer highway." It has poor sightlines and numerous accidents. It has been written up in lots of papers. Triple A might tell you more. 100k in Canada is only 62 MPH US. Watch your speed. I got nailed.

Personally, I would travel I-90 thru part of up state NY, a small part of PA and Ohio rather than go north to pick up the 401 before you can go west. The Ohio pike is almost all 3 lane each way to Toledo, and much safer. There is some small construction near the Ohio/Pa border where they are replacing bridges, but traffic moves.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Yep JJL has it covered very well. I do not think sight lines are a problem on 401, but the accidents do happen in foggy mornings with no viability. If you choose to come this way, keep an eye out for tri pods on the shoulder of the road. They set up photo radar... takes you picture and speed. You get a ticket in the mail. I'm due south of the 401 by 20 min's. at the "Comber off ramp".
If you want to shorten the miles on the Canuk side, you can enter at Buffalo and leave at Sarnia which puts you in Michigan sooner.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanxx, JJL and REBEL

I'm pretty much convinced I'll stay in the Good Ole USA as I'm heading west. All I need is a ticket sent thru the mail.

P/P

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

I hear you ... My wife just clued me in that, the Photo radar has been band from use on the 401. Must have caught a few of the wrong people. :lol

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
Hook up in Western NY?

Purple Penelope said:
I'm pretty much convinced I'll stay in the Good Ole USA as I'm heading west. All I need is a ticket sent thru the mail.

P/P

Hey P/P,

If you are going to be heading up on Thursday you can join me in your trip through WNY area. Let me know if you want to hook up. I can go either way through Canada or PA through OH. either way is fine.

BTW: Ps It is faster going through Canada... :)

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Marc,

How long will it take to get from your place to where were going. Time and/or miles?? I 'd love to hook up, makes more fun that way. Maybe someone else along the way will join.

Marc, you staying at the Marriot?

P/P

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rebel

Good input. I've got a radar/laser jammer, so I'm not concerned about those Kodak moments. Detectors aren't outlawed in Canada, are they??

P/P

·
Registered
324 Posts
Customs prefer a passport. no fruit can be taken across either way. There is now a 3% charge when you use your credit card in canada.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wondered about that Colorado

My sister (lives in NY) said they require a birth certificate. Can't recall where mine is but I do have a passport. JJL said a picture ID (license) was good for him. Makes you wonder what counts and where it counts.

Maybe I'll just let Marc decide which way he wants to go...... :thumbs

P/P

·
Premium Member
9,325 Posts
I cross a few times a year, and until recently, photo ID plus birth certificate has been adequate. Generally, one or the other would be inadequate. A photo driver's provides the picture ID, but does not confirm nationality. The birth certificate, likewise, does not confirm that the ID matches the carrier.

We have been advised by airlines during the last year that a passport is definitely the preferred ID.

Ray

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
Passport is the best if you have one!

Purple Penelope said:
My sister (lives in NY) said they require a birth certificate. Can't recall where mine is but I do have a passport. .

Maybe I'll just let Marc decide which way he wants to go...... :thumbs

P/P
We can decide soon... The only thing I worry about going through Canada is that you can encounter long delays for there seems to always be at least one car accident along the way or long waits at the bridge. Last year it took us almost 2 hours to cross the bridge when we came home. :mad

The best part is when they saw the SSR all they wanted to know was did we have a good time and how did we like the SSR. :lol

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
Leaving Thursday mid - late morning

Purple Penelope said:
How long will it take to get from your place to where were going. Time and/or miles?? I 'd love to hook up, makes more fun that way. Maybe someone else along the way will join.

Marc, you staying at the Marriot?
It is approxmately 4 1/2 hour drive to Detroit through Canada. Perhaps a 5 1/2 - 6 hour drive down through the states.

Yes I signed up for 3 nights ... and we will all be leaving the Warren Marriott Courtyard early Friday morning (7:00 AM ish) to get there by 8:30 AM.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Please do not make a mental picture of all Canada from one regions photos; we are as diverse as the U.S.A. ... I have more in common (life style) with people in Michigan than the people of Ed's trip.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I do know that the people I met in Canada at Niagara Falls and Nova Scotia were some of the nicest and friendliest people I have ever met. Everyone was very helpful and polite. These guys are right about the speed thing though, and not having Kilometers on your speedo like the ssr is a problem. The solution was to just take our time and enjoy the views and drive only in the daytime. There seemed to be way too many deer and moose at night, and those things are huge! If you do plan to go to Niagara and then to the meet, it is a pretty long distance away, but I am sure Rebel or Marc could give you a better time frame. I just think Niagara is a place to see if you have never been there. It is very crowded but well worth it. Rebel is so correct about the country being diverse too. We traveld over 3000 miles and saw so many types of environments and all were good.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I recently obtained my first passport. I needed it for a business trip to Canada. I have to say that as IDs go there was never a problem at any of the airports or US and Canadian customs.

But it's going to cost time and bucks to get one.

~35.00 for an agent fee. They check over the application and make sure everything necessary is filled out and included in the application package. They forward all documents to the Dept of State. The best place to find an agent is at the local post office. The agent can provide info about where to get applications and photos.

~9.00 for passport photos. A pro photog will make sure your photos look good. No flash on the eyeglasses, etc...

~45.00 for the certified copy of your birth certificate.

127.00 for the State Department fees. Payment by check.

That's what it cost me. BTW that's per person.

Plan for a minimum of 2 weeks, maybe 3, from the time the agent accpets the package till the passport is sent. So, if you decide to, don't let it slip.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanxx for the information from all.

beer: already have a passport. In fact its going to expire in September. You brought my attention to it.

REBEL; I know where your coming from. I believe people are pretty decent if you give them a chance. Then there is that 10% or so which you hope you don't have to deal with because they get up on the wrong side of the bed entirely too often.

Marc; Talking to JeffDBFL tonight at the hotel in Savannah, he will be in northern Ohio on Thursday so we may hookup with him on the way to Michigan. Basically even if it takes longer to travel in the US to get there, I'm for taking that route. Six hours driving time is a piece of cake.

Ed; It looks like you had a marvelous time on your trip. thanxx for sharing.

P/P

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Your welcome. I recommend you bring the following in a sealed container just in case things spill out en route:
-Z6 touch up spray
-Lots of rags (the white ones like terry towels are super)
-Glass Cleaner - amonia free (it works great to get the bugs off of the front end bumper too)
-Metal Polish (for the tail pipes to keep em chrome and shinny)
-Glass Wizzard (available at Wall Mart) to clean the inside of your windshield well
-California Duster (when the truck gets mucked up and then dries, just go over it with the duster and the crud just comes right off. the dirtier these get, the better they work). You may have to apply a little pressure with the duster to remove heavier dirt deposits.
-Small bucket and sponge for when you do find a hand operated wash place
-Shammy for drying

I took all this stuff and cleaned my truck each day and it did not take but a few minutes and she looked super the entire trip. :thumbs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts