Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I was curious if anyone was familiar with wiring for DRLs on an 06 SSR. I was thinking that I may try to change them from running off of the low beams and make them run on the front turn signals instead. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
I have toyed with the idea of connecting them to the fog lights.
I studied the wiring diagram and determined a way to make this work. However, it would require bypassing the DRL module and splicing into the factory harness just in front of the fuse box. I don't like screwing with the factory harness So I decided to skip it for now. I have many other things to keep me occupied.
FOR EXAMPLE

I am going to try to see if an idea I recently thought about to operate the two front power outlets (not the lighter outlet!) so that they would be key power and not constant power will work. My goal is to accomplish this in a non-intrusive way -- plug and play. Truck is in storage so I will not be able to test my theory until Spring. If successful I will post instructions here.

·
Georgia SSRers
1,008 Posts
Hey everyone, I was curious if anyone was familiar with wiring for DRLs on an 06 SSR. I was thinking that I may try to change them from running off of the low beams and make them run on the front turn signals instead. Any ideas?
NOT an 06 but both my 04s have LEDs wired to the parking lights.
I would think the parking lights would be the same on all years.
BTY the lights have 3 wires but you only use 2.
Just pulled the lights and hooked to the wires .
Works as DRL and is VERY easy to hook up.
hooked up 6 strip LEDs.
NOW my Rs resemble high dollar Cadillacs or Lambos !

·
Georgia SSRers
1,008 Posts
Pix

You KNOW we need to see pictures now Fred.
OH MY, what we do for our brother fanatics.
I didn't have any decent pictures of my LEDs so I JUST went out in the COLD garage and got you some. (33 degrees now)
My garage is "messy" ITS WINTER, and I don't clean it in the cold.

DRL BLACK2.jpg ** DRL BOTH2.jpg
DRL PURP1.jpg ** DSRL PURP2.jpg
These are wired into the parking lights, work as DRL and can be turned off by pulling up the emergency brake.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I did something similar to OldFred. I have the LEDs under the hood emblem, they are switched inside. I lift up on the Ebrake and the DRLs go off (saves bulb life) and my truck has an updated look. Sometimes I run the fog lights with the LEDs. I put yellow bulbs in the fog lights.

Edit: I see this picture was before I changed the fog lights.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
claude

I want to remove my center consol to change a gauge. I have have 2006 ls2 six speed. Any body removed the consol?

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I ordered some of the Halo LED lights for the for the fog lights on Ebay.

The 3 1/2" ones fit in the OEM holes. The Halo Lights are wired to a hot in run position in the front fuse box
and the fog lights are wired to the normal fog lights.

Pull the fuse to the DRLs and there you have it!

You can see the Driver's side DRL (Halo around the fog light) in the picture below if you look closely!!!

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
vibration sensor

I used a vibration sensor to turn my led drls on and off. It wires to the b+ and b- and then the output from the box runs to the drls. I used a small strip of drls that I glued to the bottom of the grille bar at the headlight area. I got the relay and lights from IJDMTOY but there are several on ebay.

Attachments

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,389 Posts
I want to remove my center consol to change a gauge. I have have 2006 ls2 six speed. Any body removed the consol?
Claude,
Please go to https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/ (Technical Discussions) and start your own thread. The one you have posted in is about Daytime Running Lamps and you will not get much play there.
Welcome to the family you will learn your way around but meanwhile you should also go to https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f114/ New Members Section) and introduce yourself and lwt us know a bit about yourself and your SSR.
Dwight

Reactions: Auggie Doggie

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
One of the first things I did to my truck 13 years ago was take the fuse out for the DRLs.

Poof...no more DRLs!!!

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
One of the first things I did to my truck 13 years ago was take the fuse out for the DRLs.

Poof...no more DRLs!!!
To what end? What can possibly justify removing a safety feature?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
To what end? What can possibly justify removing a safety feature?
I don't like premature wear on my headlight bulbs. And, I'd rather have all the parking lights on (more safety all the way around, especially pulling a travel trailer with the clearance lights illuminated). Also, I think it looks stupid to JUST have the headlights on without any other lights. It just looks "broken" to me.

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
I don't like premature wear on my headlight bulbs. And, I'd rather have all the parking lights on (more safety all the way around, especially pulling a travel trailer with the clearance lights illuminated). Also, I think it looks stupid to JUST have the headlights on without any other lights. It just looks "broken" to me.
DRLs are running at a lower voltage, so not all that hard on the bulbs. I have over 100000 miles on the low beams on my crew cab. DRLs give you some protection from someone wanting to pass an oncoming vehicle on a two lane road. Seeing lights coming at them makes them less likely to pass.

I see oncoming vehicles without DRLs as broken. Can't imagine anyone going the other way during daylight hours looking in the mirror and saying OMG - his taillights are broken.

The front markers on an SSR sure aren't very noticeable during daylight hours.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,389 Posts
DRLs are running at a lower voltage, so not all that hard on the bulbs. I have over 100000 miles on the low beams on my crew cab. DRLs give you some protection from someone wanting to pass an oncoming vehicle on a two lane road. Seeing lights coming at them makes them less likely to pass.

I see oncoming vehicles without DRLs as broken. Can't imagine anyone going the other way during daylight hours looking in the mirror and saying OMG - his taillights are broken.

The front markers on an SSR sure aren't very noticeable during daylight hours.
You Canadians have been requiring DRL since at least 1965 when I was in Canada for the summer teaching canoeing and all those cars on the road had a single white clearance light in the middle of the grill. Made sense to me then and still makes sense. The problem with using the headlights is that it makes people think their headlights are on and they do not turn them on when it rains and they are using wipers. Tail lights are needed in the rain as much as headlights. What we really need is to educate the drivers on why the law is there and then take their license away if they do not obey it. That would also help clear up the traffic! >:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts