Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:smash As promised, I am posting my fix of the drooping sun visor situation.

This is the procedure.

1. Go to your local hardware store and purchase 2 hose clamps of the type that are worm drive, the size on the package should read 1/4" to 5/8" (the kind that has a band with groves cut for the worm screw to tighten) and purchase a stone grinder that comes to a point (about 3/4 inch at the butt and comes to a rounded point of about 1/8") which will fit into a drill & a 1/2" (with a tapered point) rasping file about 10 or 12" long (longer is ok, shorter is hard to deal with). (note you could use the stone grinder but I feel the file is safer to work with inside the SSR)

Also have on hand some super glue that will stick to the plastic barrel where you will place the hose clamp and the metal of the hose clamp. (test a small area with a drop on the outside of the barrel below where the hose clamp band will go, if you can't scratch it off when dry it is a go as long as it states it will adhere to metal also)

2. Remove the visor and note there are 3 slots cut in the upper part of the barrel where the visor shaft comes through. This is the area you will place the hose clamp. Slide the hose clamp over the barrel making sure, as you tighten it, that the end opposite the tightening bolt is barely over one of the three landings where the three attachment screws come through and the other end is about the same (split the difference) figuring you are going to grind off the tightening nut as much as possible (I got mine down to 1/8"). Also make sure the top of the band is completely on the barrel.

3. Tighten up the clamp quite tight and test the increased tension. When you think it is tight enough, give it a bit more. (note you muscle men might not take this additional step). It is helpful if you test the tension prior to making the repair so you have some reference as to the added tension.

3a. After making a final adjustment and before using the super glue or grinding off the tightening bolt, trim off the excess part of the belt. Mark the cut area to cut at by scoring a line with the edge of a file and use needle nosed pliers to bend it back and forth until it breaks at the line.

4. Grind off the tightening bolt as described above. When grinding off the tightening device, remember to not get too heavy handed as you may create enough heat to melt the plastic. (the new clamps you buy have a longer tightening device, and thus more grinding, then the two, lucky me, older clamps I had in my fastener bin).

5. put a small amount of super glue at the lower & upper part of the hose clamp belt to make sure it cannot slip up. (just a dot here and there as you may have to remove it in the future)

5. To install the modified visor you will need to file off both sides of one of the 3 possible areas the hose clamp tightening device will fit. This will become obvious when you attempt to insert it without doing the filing first. (DO NOT FILE THE AREA WHERE THE SCREWS GO THROUGH!!) NOTE: it does not matter which of the 3 areas you choose as any will do.

Once the area is widened enough, check by trial and error, attach the repaired visor and you are done. I would guess no more than 1 hour for the fix and about 7 bucks for the material.

I applied this fix to the passenger side and, while driving with the top down and on bumpy city roads, was able to move the visor to any position at the side and have it stay in place. Still, I feel I should have gave the clamp a bit more tension, time will tell.

Good luck,

Harlan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
One last thing

When grinding off the tightening device, remember to not get too heavy handed as you may create enough heat to melt the plastic. (the new clamps you buy have a longer Tightening device, and thus more grinding, then the two, lucky me, older clamps I had in my fastener bin).

GM needs to hire me!! :D

Grin,

Harlan

·
OP
8,226 Posts
nylon

I really like your idea, but I did want to try the nylon zip tie first.
It works great.
I place a medium sized zip tie around the area and, with needle nose pliers, tristed the zip tie end until it was TIGHT and then snapped off. I had planned on cutting the end off with diagonal pliers, but I had twisted so tightly it just snapped off flush. I did not use glue, but probably should have.
There was no filing of the mounting hole needed either as the zip tie end fit into the oblong end of the hole with a little movement.
I then reinstalled visors. So far, it works great. If it begins to fail, then I will go the hose clamp method.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Op

I am not surprised it snapped off on its own. You must have really tugged on the strap to get it tight enough.

I hope it works, but suspect it will fail over time as the strap stretches. Might not, but, what the heck, what you did is pretty easy and well worth the try. :agree

Be sure and let us all know after enough time, & heat, have had a chance to prove your method.

BTW, what size zip tie did you use?

Harlan:leaving

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Harlanj1 said:
I am not surprised it snapped off on its own. You must have really tugged on the strap to get it tight enough.

I hope it works, but suspect it will fail over time as the strap stretches. Might not, but, what the heck, what you did is pretty easy and well worth the try. :agree

Be sure and let us all know after enough time, & heat, have had a chance to prove your method.

BTW, what size zip tie did you use?

Harlan:leaving
medium

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,284 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but haven't seen this issue brought up anytime recently. My visors have been loose for quite some time and it has irritated me from the get go. I repaired one side using a modified version of Harlan's method and the other side using Owen's. I can already tell that the clamp side holds better on my R but did have issues with the clamp trying to slide up. I took pictures and will post once I see how both sides hold up over a little time. I have another slight mod to the clamp method that I'll try as well.

Are the loose visors a common issue or not? I figured if it was a problem encountered by many others it would have come up more often.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My '06 already has a velcro dot in the outside top corner. I don't have any drooping issues. Maybe that's the best (cheapest) way to solve it. Industrial grade roll of velcro tape is about $3 at any auto parts store.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
The real issue is when you are using the visor to block the sun on your left side and the visor slowly creeps toward you. The only fix we found has been stated previously in this thread.

I used the zip ties and tightened them with needle nose pliers until the tie broke ( I now have a zip tie gun that can tighten them for me much easier).

they lasted almost 50k miles or about 6 years...time to put on new ones.

Sure a hose clamp is better, but I wanted to avoid having to file the hole in the roof to clear the clamp screw.

There is no wrong way, just whatever works.:smash

·
Ralph and Ruth
2004 SSR
903 Posts
Works

I used the hose clamp method but mine is a late '04 (August) and I had to step up a size in size on the hose clamp. That was a great mod!

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,284 Posts
As Owen mentioned, the issue is looseness when you rotate the visors out to the side windows. With mine, when released from the clip, they would freely rotate all the way to rest against those side windows. And worse if the side windows are down, they will even extend (flop) out the opening like some sort of air brake or spoiler.:glol

I think on the side I repaired with a tie wrap, I'll remove it and replace with another using a tie wrap tool as Owen mentioned to be able to tighten it up more.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Where do you get the tie wrap tool?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts