Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband had a local shop fabricate a true dual exhaust with x-pipe, 2 Flowmaster 40's, and 5" tips. Wow, what a difference!! It now puts you back in the seat when you hit the gas, it is as responsive as my Vette! And it sounds like a hot rod, it's so much more fun to drive with sound effects... :thumbs
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
wildcat66 said:
WOW that looks so neat. Thats what I'm talkin about! How much was this?
Under $1000. Not bad - more than the American Thunder, but it was on backorder "indefinitely", and we got impatient!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
It looks great and I wish I could hear how great it sounds. If you don't mind how much did it cost. And what did it take to do this work. I might think about something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Brownhornet said:
It looks great and I wish I could hear how great it sounds. If you don't mind how much did it cost. And what did it take to do this work. I might think about something like that.
Thanks!

My husband and this guy went to a supply house and picked out the mufflers, x-pipe, and tips. Then they went back to the shop and cut out the old system, hooked up the mufflers and x-pipe, and custom-bent the pipe between that point and the tips. The guy was really good, and old-school rodder who did all the measurements with his thumb or a pen - it was fascinating to watch!

Under $1000. - it did take about 4 hours to bend all the pipe though. It sounds slightly rumbly-er than the stock system at idle, but when you hit the gas you get a throaty growl. It's not obnoxious, we actually thought it would be louder. I have the B&B Bullets on my Vette, very similar sound...

Here is a better pic of entire system...
 

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
Joined
·
1,742 Posts
vettegirl,

Man, the back of your SSR now looks like a couple of CANNONS aimed at you!

REALLY COOL LOOKING!

On the highway, does it seem to quiet down for those long trips?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,175 Posts
Nice Pipes!!!

Those Flowmasters look good!!!

Just put dual 40's on my Camaro, I guess I need to make a 2nd trip to muffler shop!!


RickSSR :cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buffy said:
vettegirl,

On the highway, does it seem to quiet down for those long trips?
Yes, it levels out when you get to cruising speed. It only seems really on accelleration. We were on interstate with the top down Saturday, and it was not obnoxious.
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Good going, I project I want to do!

Anyway you can post the pictures on the gallery? For some reason thumbnails don't show up on my pages?Thanks and good going!Fred :cool :party :flag
vettegirl said:
Thanks!

My husband and this guy went to a supply house and picked out the mufflers, x-pipe, and tips. Then they went back to the shop and cut out the old system, hooked up the mufflers and x-pipe, and custom-bent the pipe between that point and the tips. The guy was really good, and old-school rodder who did all the measurements with his thumb or a pen - it was fascinating to watch!

It cost $750.00 - it did take about 4 hours to bend all the pipe though. It sounds slightly rumbly-er than the stock system at idle, but when you hit the gas you get a throaty growl. It's not obnoxious, we actually thought it would be louder. I have the B&B Bullets on my Vette, very similar sound...

Here is a better pic of entire system...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
vettegirl said:
Thanks!

My husband and this guy went to a supply house and picked out the mufflers, x-pipe, and tips. Then they went back to the shop and cut out the old system, hooked up the mufflers and x-pipe, and custom-bent the pipe between that point and the tips. The guy was really good, and old-school rodder who did all the measurements with his thumb or a pen - it was fascinating to watch!

It cost $750.00 - it did take about 4 hours to bend all the pipe though. It sounds slightly rumbly-er than the stock system at idle, but when you hit the gas you get a throaty growl. It's not obnoxious, we actually thought it would be louder. I have the B&B Bullets on my Vette, very similar sound...

Here is a better pic of entire system...
That looks great. I bet if you talk to Marc or Buffy or Troy. They will allow you to market this on the site. I am going to talk to you this summer about doing this. I have to wait until the baby is born before I can do any more changes. :)

You know how you women are about men and there toys. HA HA HA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fredfryguy said:
Anyway you can post the pictures on the gallery? For some reason thumbnails don't show up on my pages?Thanks and good going!Fred :cool :party :flag
Hey Fred! Uploaded pictures to gallery for you- :seeya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brownhornet said:
I bet if you talk to Marc or Buffy or Troy. They will allow you to market this on the site.
We're not manufacturing it - my husband just hung out and helped because he won't leave the SSR alone with anyone! If anyone near Tampa wants it done I'd be glad to give them the name of the shop and the guy who did it, and he can whip one up for them too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
vettegirl said:
We're not manufacturing it - my husband just hung out and helped because he won't leave the SSR alone with anyone! If anyone near Tampa wants it done I'd be glad to give them the name of the shop and the guy who did it, and he can whip one up for them too!

I will be sending you a PM this summer. Maybe he can bend the pipes for and I can get someone here in DC to do the work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brownhornet said:
I will be sending you a PM this summer. Maybe he can bend the pipes for and I can get someone here in DC to do the work.
Sounds good! Maybe I can get the sound on a .wav file to e-mail to you-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
vettegirl said:
My husband had a local shop fabricate a true dual exhaust with x-pipe, 2 Flowmaster 40's, and 5" tips. Wow, what a difference!! It now puts you back in the seat when you hit the gas, it is as responsive as my Vette! And it sounds like a hot rod, it's so much more fun to drive with sound effects... :thumbs
vettegirl....would you please explain to me the significance of the X-pipe?

Thanks
L2B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
I know you asked vettegirl for this but I think I can answer your question. The X Pipe balance's exhaust gas back pressure and free's up a hp or 2 in the process...


There is also an H pipe but it is not as efficient as the x.

I had 5" tip on my duramax and INMO it looks a little bit ricer on a SSR. But we cannot all like the same thing can we? Just my opinion and I do not meen to be a bung hole...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Boosted said:
and INMO it looks a little bit ricer on a SSR...
I like how they fill up the exhaust opening, looks more aggressive to me. Anyway, I've never seen the tailpipes of a ricer, they're usually eating my dust!;)
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
WOW! Awesome SSR!

Thank you so much for posting the pic's in the gallery. Great job. I'm seriously looking into the STS turbocharger and I think that will require the 2 into one to spin the turbo. If I don't go that way I'm following your lead. Nice job, Fred :cool :thumbs :party

vettegirl said:
Hey Fred! Uploaded pictures to gallery for you- :seeya
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Top