Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MY05SSR
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need honest opinion from anyone that has dealt with Vengenus Racing, near Atlanta
I have been thinking about having my R put on Dyno before I take it to Rallies, Maggie Valley,, and Branson this year. I was putting it off until Branson and get it tuned there but it's very hard to start now plus I have to burn rich to get to idle and take chance of hurting something.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,395 Posts
Have someone run the code reader first. Could be plugs, throttle body, fuel injectors etc. If you don't fix that first the tune will be a waste of time and money. You have to get everything performing properly first before you get the tune. After it is starting and running properly the tune just takes it to the next level of performance. If you don't know where to start I would contact that Dyno shop you were asking about and see if they could get it running and starting properly first before talking Dyno tune. A full blown Dyno tune is about $500 so you want to make sure it is running and starting correctly before you lay out that kind of cash. About a year ago someone on this site described the same circumstances and it was a simple thing. It had the air filter clogged. They had just bought the vehicle and come to find out the filter was the original filter from when the vehicle was built. Check what you can yourself and ask around before you plunk down the big bucks. Just some ideas. Hope I helped. Good luck.

Reactions: 12Pack and poppa

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
I am not sure but, I seem to remember that you purchased this SSR with those issues because somebody installed a supercharger and never had it "tuned"
Like the others, I am not sure if tuning will solve these issue, perhaps someone with supercharger installation experience will respond. I personally do not have any experience in this area.
Maybe start a new thread for that advice in the title line, if my memory is correct?

·
MY05SSR
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to have it tuned and checked again before I take it, but a full blown Dyno tune runs $850 around here. I'm getting discouraged of mechanics around here, I'm originally from Ohio and lived too close to dragstrip to know what $850 can get and my son-in-law works for Summit (his discount)

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
Does that $850 include making known or suspect needed alterations/adjustments, then verifying on the dyno?

·
MY05SSR
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does that $850 include making known or suspect needed alterations/adjustments, then verifying on the dyno?
Can't say for sure but I emailed him and asked what all the tune consist of and I said I would probably have to trailer it there since it doesn't run right
Waiting on answer

·
Blues Brother 08/2016
137 Posts
I live 10 miles from Vengence Racing. I have had Jeremey Formato do the tunes on my previous two SSR's. Excellent results. I too decided not to wait for a rally that Jeremey would attend. So I had Vengence do a street tune, not a Dyno tune. I had all the known issues fixed and the truck runs OK, but doesn't run out like the previous two, which seemed to just want to go really well. The Vengence tuner said that I was running 7% too lean so he reset that mixture.

Thais my experience. I also thought the tuner was a little cocky and self assured.

Now the check engine light comes on about every 100 miles after I reset it by removing the fuse for 15 minutes. I haven't had time to take to the Auto Parts store to have the codes read. I suspect the O2 sensor is being overwhelmed by the richer fuel air mixture and nothing more serious. Too much of a coincidence.
JL

·
MY05SSR
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live 10 miles from Vengence Racing. I have had Jeremey Formato do the tunes on my previous two SSR's. Excellent results. I too decided not to wait for a rally that Jeremey would attend. So I had Vengence do a street tune, not a Dyno tune. I had all the known issues fixed and the truck runs OK, but doesn't run out like the previous two, which seemed to just want to go really well. The Vengence tuner said that I was running 7% too lean so he reset that mixture.

Thais my experience. I also thought the tuner was a little cocky and self assured.

Now the check engine light comes on about every 100 miles after I reset it by removing the fuse for 15 minutes. I haven't had time to take to the Auto Parts store to have the codes read. I suspect the O2 sensor is being overwhelmed by the richer fuel air mixture and nothing more serious. Too much of a coincidence.
JL
That's what my first mechanic did, he said due to the rough looping because of cam he raised mixture to get it to stay running at idle. I'm not to far from you, I have an Actron code reader and it will read and reset codes but you need to get a good tune first because that code will come back.
Your tune up at Vengence gives me bad vibes as to what he'll do for me for the money
Thank you! John

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Guys,
Let me share my short story with a good outcome. It may be something to at least consider. I bought my 04 R in Oct. of 2018 with 127k & it did not get the TLC that I am now giving it. My mechanic did a computer scan on it wright after I bought it. There were no codes, but he showed me where it was running rich confirmed by the carbon build up on my exhaust tips. Well today I took it to him & asked him to spray clean my mass air sensor, remove & clean my throttle body & since he was wright there, I had him do the Dicktator " throttle body heater hose bypass". Both the mass air sensor & throttle body had never been cleaned. Both were dirty. He performed the scan before the cleaning, which still showed a rich burning combustion. He repeated the scan after the cleaning which showed improved normal combustion. Supposedly, the mass air sensor & throttle body talk to the computer affecting the performance of the engine. Bottom line is we cleared up the signaling to the computer & the engine is happier & so am I. All done in less than an hour for $90. plus a can of CRC Mass Air Sensor cleaner.

"SJA" Steve

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
If the mass flow sensor is lying to the PCM, it can't fine tune how much fuel to feed the engine accurately.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was going to have it tuned and checked again before I take it, but a full blown Dyno tune runs $850 around here. I'm getting discouraged of mechanics around here, I'm originally from Ohio and lived too close to dragstrip to know what $850 can get and my son-in-law works for Summit (his discount)
Vengeance has an excellent reputation in the LS community. That said, $850 is high for an N/A tune. What all is done to it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts