Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was gonig through the recently closed auctions on ebay tonight (12-5) and found the following:

12 SSRs sold between 11-23 and 12-3
Lowest winning bid: $48,501
Highest winning bid: $50,750
Other winning bids: $48,700, $48,700, $48,900, $49,500, $49,995, $49,995, $50,000, $50,000, $50,000.99, $50,501.

What I find curious is that 7 winning bids are by a jpete33 and 2 by another bidder, the other 3 are all different individuals.

What could this guy be doing with 7 SSRs? From the sale prices I don't see how he can resell and make a buck. He's the highest winning bidder at $50,750 and no other sales higher than that so far, even though there are almost 3 pages of SSRs for sale. Perhaps he has clients already lined up. Hmmm...

I suspect the longer we wait to buy, the better the price will be.

One local dealer wants $15,000 over and another thinks he'll try to get $10,000 over MSRP. I think they're nuts and apparently most everyone else does too!

The people with higher reserves are not selling. Great news for potential buyers. A little patience will save you thousands!

One other point if you want to use this information at your local dealer when negotiating price. The seller has to pay ebay a fee. I don't know how much that fee is but you need to subtract that from the sale price to get the effective selling price of the seller. I'm sure someone on this forum can tell us what that fee is.

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
jpete33 is a GM dealer in southern California - he is able to pay more than MSRP, and still turn a profit - I guess there's a lot of money floating around Hollywood, and if you've got barrels of cash a few grand over isn't a big deal when you're used to getting what you want right away.

You're right about the pricing on EBay - it's stable, but dropping gradually. I would expect that if there are 900 plus units delivered per month, the number showing up on EBay will increase significantly, and the greedy dealers setting high reserves are going to get hung out. The highest I've seen so far was 47 SSRs a couple of weeks ago. Some of the serial numbers have been offered several times, with no bids, or nothing close to reserve. Bidding on several this week stopped in the $46000 range.

I'd expect that prices will be below MSRP by spring. The delays in production really messed up the speculators - if the trucks had been delivered in May/June, they would have had a great summer, with so many people seeing a convertible truck for the first time. October isn't the best time to be flogging convertibles. There will be another 5000 units available by the time summer rolls around.

Here's to more SSRs and better prices.
:cheers

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Rechecked Ebay this morning - 56 SSR's available - latest bidding on cars with reserves stopped at 45000, 45200, 44543, 47000, 47600, 47000. A GM dealer has one in with a starting bid of $60000 - a bit wishful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts