Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anybody recommend the best/simplest ECU handheld tuner? I’m just looking to change radiator fan off/on set points with no other setting updates.
thx
B

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,757 Posts
For that I would check locally to see if a shop will do that for you Probably cheaper

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Superchips or Diablo work well. But why stop with just a fan on/off adjustment? They can do so much more for you. If fan adjustments are all you want, Stlhotrod is right. Simply find a local shop to to make the adjustment for you.

That said, if fan adjustments are needed, perhaps you should consider an upgraded fan.

Also, be sure your temp gauge is accurate. Mine was off by quite a bit until I had the stepper motors replaced.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I have a Diablo tuner for my black 05 and a Super Chips for my 04. I have not ran the Super Chips one yet so I can't say what it will allow me to do.

I know the Diablo will let you and when I down loaded the can tune I had to go back and adjust the fan temps because they made it run hot.

My Diablo I found a good deal on it and paid I think around 250.
The Super Chips I bought used and think it was around $150 or so.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I also wonder if this crack down by the EPA on tuners will have people pulling the tuners off vehicles before they sell them to keep for their next vehicle? I know for me I have 3 different vehicles and I would probably leave the tuners go with 2 of them but the other one will work with a lot of different stuff and I will keep that one for just in case.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,640 Posts
I also wonder if this crack down by the EPA on tuners will have people pulling the tuners off vehicles before they sell them to keep for their next vehicle? I know for me I have 3 different vehicles and I would probably leave the tuners go with 2 of them but the other one will work with a lot of different stuff and I will keep that one for just in case.
From what I have been told the Tuner puts the custom tune in your vehicle and stores your vehicles original tune in the device. So if you want to use it on another vehicle you need to put the stored original tune back in your original vehicle and get the custom tune back into the tuner. Also if you have a custom tuner tune in your vehicle and a dealership works on it they may re-install your stock tune and your custom tune is gone forever, because the tuner has the old vehicle tune and now your vehicle has a new stock tune. I have a Dyno super tune on mine ($500) and have a lock block on my port just for that reason. I also make the service writer write custom tune so don't mess with the tune on the work order and make it all very clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts