Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I cannot edit any posts despite not editing one for weeks. When I attempt to I get an error that states I "cannot edit more than 10 in 7 days". I have items listed in many threads that have outdated information and I need edit them. Help.........

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
$20 Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
41,509 Posts
I cannot edit any posts despite not editing one for weeks. When I attempt to I get an error that states I "cannot edit more than 10 in 7 days". I have items listed in many threads that have outdated information and I need edit them. Help.........

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
$20-$40 Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc
I'm getting the same notice on any posts over 24 hrs. @Administrator

·
BLU SSR
2,946 Posts
Another in a LONG list of issues that shouldn't be a problem to fix, but owners insist on treating even Premium Members like irresponsible children - LET US USE OUR SITE! Every time you refuse to fix things, another person heads to Facebook.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,451 Posts
I'm getting the same notice on any posts over 24 hrs. @Administrator
Car forums will limit the amount of time that a member can go back in and re-edit their original post(s). To get unlimited access our website owner's Administrators would have to go in and give special permission to be able to do that. I don't have the knowledge or permission to be able to tweak the software program to do what you are asking. Dwight "Bluestreak" and myself have repeated asked for their assistance. Apparently, it's very difficult to get technical support to go into the software and make these changes.

The reason our regular members are not be allowed to make changes to postings over a given period of time is that, once a member has made a post, the comments then become property of the site and the forum members. It is the member's right to know what the original posting had said. Thus after a few hours, days, weeks, months or even years later a member shouldn't be allowed to make any changes to their original post. Now, If there is a simple correction that is needed you can certainly contact one of our sites Super Moderators or Admin people and explain why you need to make updated changes to your comments and or attachments or you can just post a separate update into a new post.

Now certainly a small number of members (like some of you) want to have and or need the ability to go into a thread and update your posts and I (we) agree that certain members should be able to do that. Again, this is an ongoing concern that our site's Admin people and their techs who work the software need to change this to allow our select members to have continuous editing capabilities in those certain threads. We certainly would like this so it makes it not only easier on you but on us as well. :)

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand what you are saying, but you are not understanding me. If we are only allowed to edit after 24 hours, why do we get error messages stating we can only edit 10 posts in 7 days? Would it not seem more appropriate to edit the error to state it has been over 24 hours? Or are going to be allowed editing in the future and this is something in test mode?

And, how scan you tell how much time is left to edit when the time stamp was downgraded to only days and not exact post time?

I still do not understand your argument to restrict edits. It was never an issue on the old forum that ran for years and years and not a problem with other sites but I know things change..........

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
41,509 Posts
Car forums will limit the amount of time that a member can go back in and re-edit their original post(s). To get unlimited access our website owner's Administrators would have to go in and give special permission to be able to do that. I don't have the knowledge or permission to be able to tweak the software program to do what you are asking. Dwight "Bluestreak" and myself have repeated asked for their assistance. Apparently, it's very difficult to get technical support to go into the software and make these changes.

The reason our regular members are not be allowed to make changes to postings over a given period of time is that, once a member has made a post, the comments then become property of the site and the forum members. It is the member's right to know what the original posting had said. Thus after a few hours, days, weeks, months or even years later a member shouldn't be allowed to make any changes to their original post. Now, If there is a simple correction that is needed you can certainly contact one of our sites Super Moderators or Admin people and explain why you need to make updated changes to your comments and or attachments or you can just post a separate update into a new post.

Now certainly a small number of members (like some of you) want to have and or need the ability to go into a thread and update your posts and I (we) agree that certain members should be able to do that. Again, this is an ongoing concern that our site's Admin people and their techs who work the software need to change this to allow our select members to have continuous editing capabilities in those certain threads. We certainly would like this so it makes it not only easier on you but on us as well. :)

Marc That was changed on Dec/31/2019 here are the release notes that show the change. After they made the change in Dec. I have been able to edit older post up till now ?

Release 29 - Dec 31 2019
Dear Community Members and Moderators,

As we approach the end of the year, we have a few updates to announce.

Restyling of Action Buttons
We’ve done some restyling of the action buttons on a post to make it less visually cluttered. We’ve also moved the Report function to the three dot overflow action button.

Edit Limits Updated
We’ve heard a lot of feedback on editing limits on posts, especially older posts that may contain outdated information. Because of that, we’ve made some changes to editing permissions. Members now have unlimited edit permissions for up to 10 discussion posts, 10 showcase posts and 10 gallery posts per week. That will allow those who wish to update a project thread, correct a typo or update event information to do so, even if the post is from months ago.

As always, moderating team members will have access to edit as they always have.

Members can access the edit function on their own posts by clicking the three dot action button next to the timestamp on their post.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,451 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but you are not understanding me. If we are only allowed to edit after 24 hours, why do we get error messages stating we can only edit 10 posts in 7 days? Would it not seem more appropriate to edit the error to state it has been over 24 hours? Or are going to be allowed editing in the future and this is something in test mode?

And, how scan you tell how much time is left to edit when the time stamp was downgraded to only days and not exact post time?

I still do not understand your argument to restrict edits. It was never an issue on the old forum that ran for years and years and not a problem with other sites but I know things change.........

First of all I do hear you and also agree with your comments and the owners should be able to fix the error messages that you are seeing. Honestly, I cannot tell you the reason(s) why the software behaves the way it does on our website. Our previous site's software had used different parameters on editing posts then our new website does. Other car websites may also use different time restrictions on their editing capabilities too. And as far as us trying to fix the your error messages that you are seeing ... again, that is up to our website owner's Tech people to continue to improve and work on fixing these very annoying and very frustrating issues. Although we are getting updates and improvements as time goes on but not as quickly as we would like.

Myself and our other Super Moderators, Bluestreak, LOP, Cash & LtsSSR here can relay the issues/ problems we get to the Site's Admins in hoping that they will talk to their Tech people so that they will be able to try and fix our issues. Believe me "WE" are very frustrated as you are. ?

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
T
Marc That was changed on Dec/31/2019 here are the release notes that show the change. After they made the change in Dec. I have been able to edit older post up till now ?

Release 29 - Dec 31 2019
Dear Community Members and Moderators,

As we approach the end of the year, we have a few updates to announce.

Edit Limits Updated
We’ve heard a lot of feedback on editing limits on posts, especially older posts that may contain outdated information. Because of that, we’ve made some changes to editing permissions. Members now have unlimited edit permissions for up to 10 discussion posts, 10 showcase posts and 10 gallery posts per week. That will allow those who wish to update a project thread, correct a typo or update event information to do so, even if the post is from months ago.

As always, moderating team members will have access to edit as they always have.

Members can access the edit function on their own posts by clicking the three dot action button next to the timestamp on their post.

James, thanks for the post and explanation!!!! That was about the time I started seeing the errors. Not sure if other forums are seeing the same error or have editing capabilites but a Mod should tell the Admins the problem here, the change they made is not working at all......... again. Really surprised they do not fully test functionality of the forum when they roll out a mod. Make up a user account, log in like a user and test/verify the change. I guess most of the changes have worked well, but this one has not since it was rolled out an nobody complained.......until me, lol.

Marc, I now your hands are tied for most stuff. Can you notify Admin that it is a failure here?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,955 Posts

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello all,

We are looking into a bug in the "edit feature" and hope to have some updates on this in the coming weeks.

Jeff M
@Administrator

Any updates on this issue? It's been a month now and although there have been "updates" to the forum software there is still no fix for this problem.

·
BLU SSR
2,946 Posts
Sorry, no updates.

Still working on a fix for this one.

Jeff M

In the interim, how about simply raising the number of edits or lowering the amount of days in the qualifying period? Simply changing a number in the code can't be very hard or time consuming!

·
Administrator
1,598 Posts
In the interim, how about simply raising the number of edits or lowering the amount of days in the qualifying period? Simply changing a number in the code can't be very hard or time consuming!
The thing is---he's ANSWERING a question from 29 DAYS AGO !!! :oops::mad: They say, better late than never!?!?!

Nick
Hello

Sorry for the delayed response on a reply we have a bit of a backlog and that is not an option at this time.

We need to work on the global fix with QA.

Jeff M

1 - 20 of 20 Posts