Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the deal. I'm going to helping a fellow fanatic install Eibach springs and Addo sway bars on his SSR.
This tech session begins about 9:00 am Saturday 3/18/06 and ends when the install is done.. Any fanatic that is interested in participating or BSing is invited to joins us in Huntington Beach.
Also, we have the opportunity to install a Magnusen supercharger that weekend provided Joe (2005SSR6Speed) is willing to help out. Otherwise the install is likely to be over the summer.
Beverages BBQ and so on is open for ideas but right now the plan is for a working tech session.

Please PM for directions etc.
Attendeees:
1) hdflstf
2) parrotbobssr
3) Ross
4) CA Ridgerunner
5)

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2005SSR6Speed said:
hdflstf - I am sorry but I close on the new house on the 17th and already have all the movers lined up for the 18th. Is there any way you can move the date by a few weeks?
The timing is dictated by when parrotbobssr is available. The SC install was a longshot for next weekend. We'll likely do the install over the summer. Same sort of plan to be a tech session. Will definitely coordinate the time with you as well - assuming you want to get your hands 'dirty' too.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Time Change

Start time has changed a bit. Should be getting started on the install about 9:00 am Saturday.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Art - send me the directions. Got my key code for the HPtuners hardware today, should have the hardware/software in a day of two. I need an SSr to play/test on.:jester - Later, Ross

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ross said:
Art - send me the directions. Got my key code for the HPtuners hardware today, should have the hardware/software in a day of two. I need an SSr to play/test on.:jester - Later, Ross
Bring your SSR and we can test it to death ( I mean alot!:jester )

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another Item added to the list

Per Fedex .. I'm supposed to be getting the new side mirrors with the turn indicators built in this Friday. Depending on how we do with our other activities we may get to do a mirror install as well.

Thanks mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
You're welcome Art.

Please get to the Muth web site, download the instructons and print them off a color printer. The packaging will probably NOT have the SSR instructions included. You don't have to remove the entire mirror from the truck and wrestle with it on the bench. There is an alternative. I'll take the time to post it in the next day or two.

If you have any questions about the mirrors, call me. I live in the cell phone Bermuda triange, so please use the home phone. Will PM the number to you.

Regards,

Mike

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2005SSR6Speed said:
I wish I could make it. Anyone want to move for me? It sounds like it will be a great time!
I'm not trading places on that one. We've moved 6 times in 11 years. I think I'm done for awhile.

Hopefully I'll see you the next time we do some kind of tech session.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it starts raining inside the garage I'll cancel since I'll obviously have bigger problems to deal with:jester :jester
I'll have everything ready to go Saturday. Just be sure to dress warm since the high for the day looks like something from well north of here.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another SSR has been lowered.
What a day. Since no one had show up by 9:00ish I decided to start the oil change on mine ( a sure fire way to make something happen..). No sooner than I got the oil drained and the filter off I heard a rumble on the front street and saw Ross drive by. Flagged him down and got him parked in the driveway. Oh wait a sec the phone os now ringing. It was Bob with a flat tire. He had it off the SSR but wasn't having any luck with a replacement. We found one on HB for him but the truck was still 10 miles away. We pulled a good one from my SSR and Ross drove out to Bob. We installed it and did the mini carvan to HB. Had to wait for the local tire shop to get the tire in so we proceeded to finish the oil change and start the mirror install (I mean tear apart Art's truck). I look up and see a yellow SSR and it turns out Lloger is here to visit as well. My wife set us up with some 'eats' so we took a break and ate. Lloger brought some good dessert - thanks! Time for Bob to go to the tire shop to get his new skin (my SSR is on three wheels still). Back to the mirrors.. We get the door panels off, one mirror off, the first wire harness through the mirror housing and into the door. Oops, Bob is back. Put the tire and wheel back onto my SSR and roll it out of the garage and get Bobs in. Jack up the rear and in go the springs and sway bar. Same for the front. We'll sort of. The front is more work to get to things so it take more time than the rear. Bob has the actual numbers but thed result with the Eiback springs was a drop of 0.6" front and 1.6" in the rear - just like what it says the springs will do. Bob test drove it and said the ride is unchanged or maybe a little better than stock.
Today I get to work on the mirrors on mine..

CA Ridgerunner - sorry we missed you. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep trashed a tire. The same tire I had fixed twice in the previous week, nails both times, oh the joys of living in the country. It turns out there must have been another nail or one that worked it self out on the trip because I got almost to Long Beach from Paso Robles before someone flaged me saying I had a low tire. It was raining and slow and go fri. night traffic so I did'nt notice until the damage was done. I limped air pump to air pump to Long Beach. In the morning I was having trouble finding a proper tire. So I called the calvary, how cool is it that when the calvary shows up it's Ross in his beautiful black SSR ( gotta love the chrome wheels with the red calipers ) with Arts rear wheel. I throw it on and we caravan over to Arts, me feeling like the redheaded stepchild with my filthy redline. It had been raining and snowing at my place for two weeks, it was so muddy coming out on Fri. morning I spent most of the time on Big Sandy Rd. (call it big muddy this time of year) going sideways, our big fat tires in mud might as well be skis. I had spent a fist full of quarters at the self wash but mostly on the underside. Well I got to Arts and his lovely wife had made some great food, I can't belive she let the boys play in the garage when her kitchen is still torn up!
As for the install the back was a breeze it only took about half an hour. The front took abut an hour and a half with the most time spent geting to the top shock mounts on the left, having Art there reduced the pucker factor and the S---,P---,F--- factor to zero. I could not have done it nor would I have even tried it without Arts expertise and cool spring compressor. To say nothing of his cool garage. Thanks again to Art and the others that helped.
First impressions after the installation are..
I was surprised that the ride was pretty much the same, if anything softer. That being said, the first part of the bounce was softer, maybe, but it felt as if the more the spring was compressed the stiffer it got. This seemed more evident at speed. As for the antisway bars it was hard to tell on the flat straight roads on the way home. When I reached the eighteen miles of curving country roads to my house it was already dark, and the possibilty of hitting something like a deer or elk or even a wild pig is too great to speed through the turns at night. As it is, it is almost impossible to get to my house without hiting a rabbit or squrril or some other small rodent. So more testing in the daylight later this week.
Oh one more thing, the feel of the lowering ( from inside the truck ) is much greater than the actual lowering looks from the outside. I'm glad for many reasons I did'nt go any lower. It gives it a very low slung feel, those of you that want to get away from the low slung vette feel may not want to do this. All and all though I like the feel and can't wait to push through the curves and test it out some more.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Addco sway bay

I would also like to thank Mike in AZ. for the work he did with addco to get the specs. right. My anti sway bars went on like a dream and were a perfect fit. One of our own went to bat for us and changed a manufactures product so that it would fit right the first time. Thanks Mike

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the glowing report - what's that gonna cost me now..:glol

Glad you're happy with the install and your new 'ride'.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I have to do my rear springs only and the sway bars as soon as I get out from under all the boxes. I hate moving!!!!!

I did do the throttle body today, make sure to check it out with more pictures (eye candy thread). If you want to do this it is an easy install. I can help with anyone close wanting to do it, maybe we can plan to do an install at your place again.:glol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts