Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Eibach springs after waiting over 2 months. Does anybody have some step-by-step instructions on how to install them on the SSR? I don't want to kill myself.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Install

Rears are easy. Unbolt the bottom of the rear shocks. Raise rear of SSR until bolt removes easily from shock. Continue to raise rear until upper trailing arm touches the sway bar mount - any more may bend the trailing arm. Remove springs. Remove bumpers and modify as shown in the instructions. Reinstall bumpers. Install new springs with the old rubber cushions from the old springs. Lower the SSR a little at a time so you can adjust the springs to stay centered as it's lowered. Reinstall shock lower bolts as they line up. It's about a 30 to 60 minute job in your garage. Just be sure to use jackstands any time you are under the SSR.
The fronts are another story. Haven't done mine yet but it looks like 3 bolts from the top mount under the hood, sway bar link and lower bolt. Remove spring and shock/strut assy. Next you'll need a spring compressor to collapse the spring a bit so you can remove the nut? bolt? holding the assy together. Remove spring. Reverse process to install.
Go get the front end alignment done as it will no longer be correct and you'll eat your front tires.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thanks for the insight. I did the rear springs last night. I would have never figured it out without your post. Thanks again.

Matt

·
Registered
110 Posts
You should let a pro do the front. It's very dangerous if your not sure how to.IMO Had mine done front & back cost $150. Watched them do the front they sure had a lot of tools out. had to take off fuse box & overflow bottle to get to upper shock mounts. Took them about 2 hours 11/2 front 1/2 back. The aligment was very close. Had it done but to save you time get a print out of specs. from your dealer. My shop had none had to wait 1 hour for dealer to call with info. But told guy I think it's the same as a trailblazer. ( as read on this site) He checked that and said it was real close but wanted to wait for dealer info. I also had the Hotchin sway bars put on at the same time. Ride a little stiffer but boy it handles the turns alot better.

Paul Perinati :ssr

·
Registered
269 Posts
FInished Last night

2 Hour job at local Big 10. Times are as stated. Rides/looks great. Alignment a must. Big 10 has the software for the SSR in there system. Took nearly an hour to align. All green. Cost $208.00 with alignment.

Also installed MKB licence plate brkt. It is FINE. Really improves the looks of the rear of truck. I guess 200.00 for a tag brkt, it should.

Got quote on paint Wednesday. Just have to decide what direction to go with it. Two tone, stripes, fade, wild, I don't know at the moment.

Scott

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perinati,

I'm taking your advise. I'm letting Kaufman Tires do the front springs and the alignment in the morning.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
matjow said:
Thanks for the insight. I did the rear springs last night. I would have never figured it out without your post. Thanks again.

Matt
Glad I could help.. Someday I'll do the fronts on mine.. Not to worry as I have the tools and the skills. Just need to find the time for it. :cool

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They're on!

Had my local Goodyear store put on my front Eibach springs. $300.00 including a 4 wheel alignment and high speed balancing of all 4 wheels. Worth every penny. Looks great! Corners even better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts