Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
2nd picture with exhaust on driver side installed. I had one with me installing cam but the sun whited it out really bad. More pictures later today. I went ahead and replaced all the valves with stainless ones and used Comp cams recommendation on little stiffer springs.Plan is to get it back in car tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Daily Driver
9,282 Posts
Looks like a motor should look, a motor that doesn't have to be hidden under covers and shrouds. :thumbs

I remember picking up an engine at my fishing partners shop and he'd run out of high temp paint. No problem I'll grab some on the way home. All I could get was silver so that's what I painted it. When he came out to help with the install he was grossed out. But when I added black valve covers and accessories like the air cleaner it looked good. Plus the silver was a big help spotting leaks and stuff in the confines of my van engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Bruce I thought about a different color too but I chickened out. This dang thing has so many vacuum hoses on it...incredible. I've got the motor in and pretty much all hooked up, but I've covered up most of it with all the crap I put back in. Should fire it up tomorrow. Man I'm sore. These two pictures are the exhaust valve butterfly. Driver side was froze up. So, I cut them out and welded up the holes. Oh I've got one something or other coming off the EGR valve and I of course didn't label it. Got no idea where it goes or what plugs into it. That's all I have left to do. I did buy a new oversize radiator since mine was in pretty bad shape.

Attachments

·
Daily Driver
9,282 Posts
I think the EGR had two hoses, one to the front of the carb and the other to a temperature controlled valve in the intake manifold. The valve in the intake operated the diaphragm in the EGR to allow the carb to suck some exhaust in through the other hose.

By the way, those flappers in the exhaust are available for ONLY $350 apiece. :glol

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Nice job on the engine transformation Spook! Well done!
Back to the el camino.
I had a Canadian version of the caballero Amarillo 1982. Last year they were offered In Canada.
It was of course two tone with similar to corvette wheels with center caps. I honestly can not remember what engine it had, but it was a peppy V8.
Before I sold the caballero, I purchased a 1972 vette with the 454. That was another fun car!
I left Canada in 1988 and had to leave the caballero behind. I felt it was going to be a keeper, due to the fact it was last year in Canada, little did I know at the time they went on with production until 1987 south of the border.
Sold it with 17.000 kilometers (slightly over 10K miles) on the odometer.. for get this... $4200.00 Canadian.... What a bummer at the time, and still have a sore read end from kicking myself. BUT I only paid $7800 for it in 1983, driven by GM executive as demo. But my 06 SSR makes me happy again.
Life goes on....
Charles

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Ok after a few days delay I was ready to fire it up for the 1st time. Got wife in the seat to turn it over while I hovered over distributor. She cranked and I adjusted and didn't even get a fire of any kind. WTH...I know it's been a while but I'm not this stupid. Anyway after rechecking plugs, TDC, #1 cylinder etc etc, all was good but nothing. It was until 3 hours later of thinking about it that occurred to me I had not reconnected the ECM plug. Boom ran like a million bucks and I still haven't timed it right on the money. I'll do that tomorrow. I will tell you this having the internals balanced was worth every dime. Wonderful running and sounding motor. I plan on taking it on the Hot Rod Power Tour in a couple of weeks. First time I haven't taken the SSR in 6 tours. There's a lot of extra crap in an 86 El Camino that covers way too much motor but look at the difference between what I pulled out and what I put back in. I'm too old for this crap. Anyway I'm glad it's done. Anybody want specs for parts just let me know. I'm about 40 horses over original build. Cam is a comp cam 252 with 110 lobe sep. Pistons are 30 over Speed Pro skirted. Comp roller rockers. dual timing chain, stainless valves little stiffer springs, mild port on the exhaust manifolds, high volume oil pump, high flow water pump, new alum oversized radiator and 165 degree thermostat. All I can remember right now. Hope everyone had a great memorial day...please remember our vets.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Thanks Bruce I'm having a hell of a time trying to time this thing. This morning I went to crank it and couldn't get it to go. Cranking went down quickly. Battery is about shot showing 11.1 volts and even after charging only had 12.2. So I sprung for new battery. Hoping I can get it in this afternoon and start car again for timing.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Ok I hope by posting this maybe I can save someone some heart ache. Got everything together on the El Camino. Fired it up and set timing with ECM controller for distributor disconnected (per the manual). Instantly got an error code 42 engine light. This is an 86 car so it has an ODB1. I've been working this for a week. That code 42 is Electronic Spark Timing Bypass Circuit grounded. Can be caused by a number of things. No matter what I did I could not rid myself of this code and I could tell the computer was not taking over timing control. To make a long story short I had purchased a new distributor from Amazon because my original one was extremely nasty and rusty. I read on Chevy hot rods forum about some overseas distributors that had faulty HEI ignition modules inside the distributor. Its inside the cap and at the base. Held in by two small screws. So I took the one out of the new distributor and replaced with my old AC Delco unit in the old distributor. VIOLA. That was the problem No more engine light and obviously the ECM is now controlling the timing. The ignition module that came with the new distributor was grounding itself. I am one happy boy. I would have never thought of this if I had not read it elsewhere. AC Delco parts only from here on out.

·
Daily Driver
9,282 Posts
Congrats on solving the problem. We always suspect new parts last when something like this happens. It shows how valuable the internet has been to save our butts and our wallets. I just read a 100 page thread on another forum where a guy buys a used rare Mercedes AMG van and broke a poorly designed head bolt. The Merc dealer said $57,000 to replace the engine. He did it himself with a ton of information supplied by forum members. Spent $3150 for a lift, engine hoist and some tools, plus $3300 for parts. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
33,178 Posts
How did I miss this thread? I've got a '72 I'm working on. In fact, been prepping a replacement engine to drop in. Wasting far too much time to make a well used engine look pretty... but I can't stand dirty, greasy, rusty parts!

The car is mostly disassembled right now, but I realized that I'll never actually complete a restoration on my own. So, the goal is to get it back into running condition so I can take it to a shop for all of the metal and paint work.

We built them at the Baltimore plant. Although you could squease 3 people in one they have less room than our SSR's?? The painted bed scratched easily. A nitch vehicle like our R'S?--but with no top down/no sale for me.

Bird
Way more room than the SSR. As tall as I am, I'm usually at the limit of seat travel and challenging whatever head room is available. That's true in either the EC or SSR. But, I will say that the headroom in the 'R is much better.

Have to wonder if it was made in Baltimore? Gm had 3 plants making the [A] body back then. If so a 50/50 chance I worked building some part of the ft. end.........

bird
Mine is a Baltimore build. Today, an Amazon distribution center sits on that property.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
ssr71: I'm with you I can't stand a nasty motor either. When I pulled mine out it was so nasty. I spent a month cleaning scrapping sanding and painting but that dude looks good now. Good luck with your build. I wanted a 70 to 72 but couldn't find one reasonable enough. Found mine in a guys barn where it had set for 12 years. Original paint and interior and original everything right down to the radio. I did replace radio (but kept it) so that I could have Bluetooth. I absolutely love it. Drive it everyday. By the way great looking Camino you have!!

Attachments

61 - 80 of 88 Posts