Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,178 Posts
ssr71: I'm with you I can't stand a nasty motor either. When I pulled mine out it was so nasty. I spent a month cleaning scrapping sanding and painting but that dude looks good now. Good luck with your build. I wanted a 70 to 72 but couldn't find one reasonable enough. Found mine in a guys barn where it had set for 12 years. Original paint and interior and original everything right down to the radio. I did replace radio (but kept it) so that I could have Bluetooth. I absolutely love it. Drive it everyday. By the way great looking Camino you have!!
It ain't so good looking now. Entire front clip is off (fenders were mostly junk anyway). Interior is mostly gutted (only the dash remains). But, here's the engine as of a few days ago. Already ran into an issue that required pulling the pan off, but hopefully that's all squared away. Goal is to get it running and out to a shop for the body work it needs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I went the black route with some gold trim to match car color. Factory headers exhaust manifold came out pretty nice though. I just didn't have the guts to coat them gold colored. The were rusted up pretty good when I pulled the motor. I plugged the air injection ports as you can see. I'm surprised you didn't go with double hump or aluminum heads on that small block.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,178 Posts
I went the black route with some gold trim to match car color. Factory headers exhaust manifold came out pretty nice though. I just didn't have the guts to coat them gold colored. The were rusted up pretty good when I pulled the motor. I plugged the air injection ports as you can see. I'm surprised you didn't go with double hump or aluminum heads on that small block.
This is just a holdover until I get myself the "LS" package I want. I accidentally destroyed the crankshaft on the original engine, so I picked up a complete used engine a few months back. More like abused really.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Cool beans: You know that LS-7 will fit in there nicely. Got a friend with a 70 Chevelle with one in it and it is wicked. I've considered taking my LS-7 out of my SSR, putting the 5.3 back in and putting the LS-7 in my 65 vet. Too much work though. Maybe one day.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
My favorite El Camino. Not a big fan of the guy doing the commentary, but the video is good. It was also featured on Counting Cars.

Link to the photos posted by the builder. Couldn't download photos.

[Hey url]https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiIt53a89TSAhVY2WMKHbDyAUcQFgg1MAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.superridesbyjordan.com%2Fp199024143&usg=AFQjCNEbZqRl0p0ore4-YnXGbOQbrB8Pfg[/url]
Hey FLASSH, Have you ever seen a 58 El Camino?
I always liked the 59 chevys I learned to drive a stick shift in my moms 59
But it wasn’t til I worked at a restoration shop that I actually saw a 58 ... I have no idea how many were made or if it was a vehicle that was fabricated for this man... but it was KOOL...
Also have you checked out the N2A company . They build some really far out vehicles the N2A stands for no two alike...
They require sacrificial cars and a pile of ca$h ... and they build one that you’d like called the “789”. It’s front end is a 57 Chevy and the midsection is a 58 and the tail end is a 59... and it’s one of the Koooolest vehicles I’ve ever seen .. their work is seamless everything is on a chassis from a Jaguar ? I think but drive train is Corvette.. the interior of the one I saw was white ostrich... a 3/4 view from the rear and it’s so trick that you’ll stare at it for a while before you know what you’re actually seeing...
Check em out man... they do OTHER “ hybrids as well...

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
I have never seen anything to suggest GM built an El Camino prior to 1959. Anyone with decent skills could take a station wagon and turn it into a pickup.

I saw some info on the 789. Not a fan of the look, but it is an interesting car.

I like the work AAE does by starting with a C5 Corvette, and turning it into a 53 Commemorative Corvette. Spectacular workmanship.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have owned several.
67 with 325 HP 327 with a four speed - Bought it new
69 with 350 with Corvette fuel injection
74 GMC Sprint) with a 454 - Bought it new
78 with a HP 350 - Tunnel Ram with 2 four's
86 with a 383 stroker

I looked at one of the new ones a couple of years ago with the LS2 but couldn't afford it. They were made down under by Holden.
I owned a 70 SS 396 with 350 HP and Turbo 400

·
Registered
2005 yellow SSR All optional equipment 8200 miles on vehcile
14 Posts
I have a 1987 ( last year built in US) completely restored, Have driven El Camino's all my adult life. 2010 GM announced they were going to reintroduce El Camino in the USA that would be built in Australia , never ouit building them there, was built on grandpre pontaic chassie, beautyful car. Ford and GM have quite building cars in Australia, Australian GM cars will be built in Toronto Canada, Havn't heard if the intent to reintrduce El Camino in the USA

81 - 88 of 88 Posts