Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JIM G and any other fanatics I have a plan to install an electronic brake controller for use on my trailers electric brakes.

(1) Does the 04 SSR have the pre-wired under the dash to receive the brake controller?

(2) I have installed a 16"Zirgo fan which runs on demand as the low and high speed wires from the fan are joined thus producing high speed fan operations whenever the low speed is signaled. I run hot or cold at a steady 195. Although I have not tested the system under trailer load up hill in hot conditions.

(3) should I install a transmission cooler as well?

(4) What supplemental cooling mods would you recommend. I am thinking of changing the OEM system coolant to a water wetter solution which yielded a 5 to 10 degree reduction on my street rod.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Brake Controller

How much are you planning on towing with the SSR. It is rated at 2500 LB and the reason is it's poor cooling. I have seen mine hit 230 sitting only a short time in stop and go traffic with Water Wetter installed. IMHO you are asking for trouble if you are considering a trailer heavy enough for trailer brakes. The SSR has been wired from the factory (wire is wound up in a bundle along the driver side frame rail) but does not include a 7 wire set-up for trailer brakes etc.:nono

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree the amount of heat transfer to improve the cooling performance is the limiter for towing which is partly why I replaced the OEM fan to begin with to a one (high) speed thermostatically controlled 16"Zirgo high speed fan. I have also used wetter water in my street rod previously and saw about a 5-10 degree drop vs. OEM fluid. *(1)*May I ask what was the tempurature drop you obsevered in changing to watter wetter in your SSR? I currently run a steady 195 hot or cold but have not tested towing uphill in the heat yet. I plan to continue doing all other proven cooling mods too add insurance from O/heating when towing. I plan to trailer a fibreglass Corvette. My goal is to get the SSR temperature below the level of heat stress equal to the specs of a GMC Envoy.*(2)* I REALLY need all info on any additonal cooling mods that can measurably improve the heat transfer process on the SSR cooling system.*(3)* JIM G may have some added wisdom? THX

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
New Cooling System mod

SSREAL,

I have engineered an auxiliary fan application for the SSR that is currently in prototype testing on 5 vehicles besides mine. The application adds a pusher fan to the front of the system that is controlled in an "and" and "or" function with the OEM fan. It has an independent controller with an adjustable set point for temperature regulation and would be an excellent addition to your system. Being independent, it is able to function in the event of a standard system failure to get you home. It also has the ability to run after the ignition is off, providing a way of extracting heat from the system during the horriffic soak-back we get.

I have not begun to take orders yet, as I am still working to get my vendor costs in line for the individual bits that go into the system. I expect to have the first production kits available in mid-January after the hardware is lined up and I have a thumbs up from all of the test vehicles.

If you are interested, please PM me with a phone number so we can talk off line.

Mike

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike I will pm you now as adding more volume of outside induced air into the system is by far the optimum****great!!

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
No Sir,

It's not gas powered. Just a simple add-on that takes less than 8 amps to run.

Check your regular e-mail. You have some reading material.

Regards,

Mike:jester

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
ssreal said:
I agree the amount of heat transfer to improve the cooling performance is the limiter for towing which is partly why I replaced the OEM fan to begin with to a one (high) speed thermostatically controlled 16"Zirgo high speed fan. I have also used wetter water in my street rod previously and saw about a 5-10 degree drop vs. OEM fluid. *(1)*May I ask what was the tempurature drop you obsevered in changing to watter wetter in your SSR? I currently run a steady 195 hot or cold but have not tested towing uphill in the heat yet. I plan to continue doing all other proven cooling mods too add insurance from O/heating when towing. I plan to trailer a fibreglass Corvette. My goal is to get the SSR temperature below the level of heat stress equal to the specs of a GMC Envoy.*(2)* I REALLY need all info on any additonal cooling mods that can measurably improve the heat transfer process on the SSR cooling system.*(3)* JIM G may have some added wisdom? THX
:eek If you tow more than the vehicle is rated for you are opening yourself up to all sorts of liability problems should you ever be involved in an accident. Doesn't matter whether you are at fault or not. Hope you never find yourself in this kind of jam.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike AZ please resend to SSREAL my computer was being cleaned up just as you sent the pm info and some how the tech doing my wok fried my Outlook Express contents GEE I could have done that for free!

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
There should be no problem with the powertrain or chassis with towing heavier loads. All of those parts work on the Trailblazer SS. You have to deal with the cooling to tow heavier loads. More airflow will certainly help, but I believe that the actual radiator is smaller than what is on the TBSS. You can figure that out by measuring the LWH of the core. An auxilliary oil cooler for the transmission might also be needed. There you can also look at the TBSS for comparison. Also you need to make sure your total load does not exceed the load limits of the rear tires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Temperature

SSREAL,

You asked what the temperature of my SSR runs and most of the time going down the road about what you stated your does 195F. However in traffic in the summer months in Illinois it jumps to 220-230. It was this reason I went to our Pro Shop here at my dealership and installed the Wetter. Some of the guys dirt track race here and swear by it. However it didn't seem to help any in my SSR. I have taken a couple other SSR's out we had in stock used and they did the same. Soooooo when it came time for a oil change I went with Mobil I. IMHO you are asking for trouble when you start pulling a large trailer that needs a trailer brake controller (This is how this thread got started isn't it). :)

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
It's not gas powered. Just a simple add-on that takes less than 8 amps to run.

Check your regular e-mail. You have some reading material.

Regards,

Mike:jester

Hey Mike,
Send me some info on the fan your working on.

thanks,
Ric

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THX again for the feedback with Mike AZ's help (we discussed his latest cooling component) I am very confident it will not only work but significantly impove the heat transfer condition at slow speeds or while stopped . Mike and I spoke for a considerable time yesterday and both being aviation engineering gearheads I am incredibly impressed with the extent he went to make this a very clean basically plug in mod. I respect everyone's constructiive concern that pulling a trailer with electric brakes is pushing the envelope in more thanone way. The challange coupled with my desire to transport my C6 to shows along with the SSR ishas me hooked. That said I am not unrealistic and in the end if the test doesn't work I will move on. Again all the feedback is MUCH appreciated. MERY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND PRAY FOR BOB A'S FAMILY DURING THEIR SUFFERING WE LOST A BROTHER TOO!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Trailer Towing

I am also consider towing with my 03. My trailer is right at 2500# Tounge # is the usual10% or 250# , some additional weight will be involved when extra gear is loaded, but im sure that GM has a built in safety factor. I havent towed yet, but am concerned about the heat issue as it runs quite hot by itself. I have a electric brake control , but dont know just how to hook it up on the SSR.
For info , at least here in Ca any trailer over 1000# is to have operating brakes.
I towed a boat with a net towing weight of near 3000# ,towed with an older chevy truck "76 454 , never had any trailer brakes, never had any problems,stopping or heating problems.
I have purchased a B&M trany cooler, but not yet hooked up. I ordered Mikes air dam, not yet recieved, and want to do everything I can to keep temps down. So any and all help from you all will be greatly appreciated:)
Ive had several comments about the tranny cooler connections/ use or dont use the existing radiator cooler? B&M #70264 is the unit I have (GVW 24000) It shows the fluid flow from tranny thru radiator to B/M cooler then back to tranny I assume that this arrangement will give the best results, they should know. Does any one know which line at the radiator is the one coming from the tranny? Thinking of getting a B&M tranny pan to help the cooling issue, any one do this yet, and how were the results? I havent done any research on the fan issue, but will welkom ANY input on that, Thanks:seeya My brake controller is a Powerstop #500-ps , not sure just how to get this right on the SSR ? Out of room- Howard:willy:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I towed a BMW Z3 cpe on a u-haul car trailer (est wt 4500#) about 400 miles last week, mostly interstate, ambient about 75-80 degrees, no mountain, 45 minutes of tucson stop and go traffic, a/c on..

Previous mods:
1. uprated trailer hitch
2. full rear air suspension
3. removal of engine cover
4. removal of weatherstrip between rear of hood and cowl
5. oem fan reprogrammed to function at 200+

Observations:
1. plenty of power for me. (2004 with diablosport premium tune and quickened shift points)
2. no handling issues
3. no braking issues (remember, u-haul supposedly has surge brakes)
4. max observed coolant temp of 210 while in stop & go traffic (working trans hard)
5. LOTS of noise from the oem driveshaft. I don't mean at speed, I mean any change of gear, direction, etc...pings, pops, dings, dongs

My next mod will be a driveshaft, I'm waiting for you test pilots to make sure Dennis" is ok.
Even though I removed the weatherstrip at the rear of the hood, I may have to install Mike's fan kit this summer for the after-running feature to prevent heat soak to the brake system. That will also give me redundancy. Sounds like it's well thought out.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a standard 2" receiver custom built by my local hitch shop. It's exposed, but I can use my scooter rack, bike racks, etc. (just like a REAL truck) and it's rated 10,000#.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts