Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to install either a hydraulic or electric lift set up for the rear deck lid of their SSR?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Speed2acer-

I thought the electric solenoid and hydraulic lift shocks were standard equipment on all SSR's. Mine opens fine with my keyfob. I just push the button and it clicks the latch and opens up and raises. Could yours be not working right and needs repair or are you talking about the tailgate opening automatic too?

Doug

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes and those lift shocks lose pressure and their ability to lift after a little bit of time. Maybe have them replaced while you have them in warranty still and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Always opens in hot weather and pops right up, however, in cold weather the little shocks don't work well and I have to pry open the lid. Watch out what you put in there too! The other day I put plastic storage bins with my paints and airbrush materials and a three by four foot canvas on top of those that came right up to the top of the lid. Closed the lid and then the tailgate. When I popped the top and tried to open the tailgate, I could not get my hand under the canvas painting to open the tailgate. Nearly broke the canvas and my finger to get the tailgate pryed open. :D :jester

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,196 Posts
Emergency Procedure

Ed,

This has happened to others. When I first came to this forum we helped someone (Drz) who had an aquarium up against the tailgate handle. We discovered the "manual emergency" release technique. It is best to investigate it and try it for yourself at least once before you really need it.

Tailgate Release Alternative:

There is an opening on each side of the tailgate for the side post to latch into the release mechanism. It looks kind of like a trunk latch on conventional GM cars. The slot is about 1.5" high and .75" wide. One on each side...

Put your index finger into the slot with the fingernail outboard and you will find a lever about 3/4" or so inside the tailgate with the soft side of your finger.

You have to be in the lower part of the opening, below the post that comes in from the side of the truck.

Push this lever directly horizontal toward the center of the truck. It will have to move about 1/2" to get the mechanism to release. It will let the gate release just a small amount because the other side is still latched. You'll know.

Go to the other side and push that lever horizontally toward the center of the tailgate until it releases also.

You might need a very slight amount of pull on the gate while doing this if your rubber seals are tired.

Here's the link to the thread if you are interested.....
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5220

Try it....... :thumbs

Mike

·
Registered
631 Posts
Installed a spoiler and cargo carpet kit on my wife's 04 Ultra Violet. As a result, the combined weight is sufficient that the cargo cover has to be helped up each time. Haven't left it open for extended periods, so have not experienced any strut failure yet. Of course, it could be the weight of the Ultra Violet paint...? :jester

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
wow! Don't know how I missed that helpful tip, but it sure does work well, and I haul paintings quite a bit in Black Betty! Thanks Mike! You're the best! :party

·
Registered
893 Posts
Rise?????

oharrell2 said:
Will the cover still raise or stay open with the weight of a spoiler?
Most usually no.......it will pop up and wait for you to give it a little nudge.... and then it stays up fine.......:thumbs

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Strut part numbers

When my SSr was new in June of '05, the deck popped up perfectly everytime (does have carpet kit), but over a short time it stopped popping up (even while it was still warm weather) so that tells me the struts are getting tired with the added extra weight of the carpet.
Those of you that have upgraded the struts, do you have a brand/part # you could share with us?
Sure, I could have them replaced under warranty (and probably will), but in a month or so, they will get soft again.
I would love to beef them up.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Struts

From reading the threads in here this morning.......I suspect.....Struts are like SSRs.....some are fine and work great and some are not so fine.........BUT thats life.........It's kinda like PEOPLE........some are fine.....some are not and do nothing but bitch an moan.......and then some go to the Dr. and get well :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts