Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First over 70 day and at times was running hot but would recover. It has a 15" fan which I think is after market . There is a small rheostat thingy on the fender well which I assume is a temp cut in marked +and -. Is there a bigger diam. fan made for SSR's I could install?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts
look at www.simple-engineering.com under SSR Web Store then Engine cooling and you will find what you are looking for.

I woud add that Mike in AZ is very knowledgeable on the cooling subject and usually quite happy to explain the dproblems and solutions.

Reactions: old timer

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Fan?

That fan with the thermostat on the fender, is it in front of the radiator? If it is it is probably a Simple-Engineering Aux Fan. If it is between the engine and radiator you need to go to this site and order Mike's drop in Direct Replacement Main Fan. https://shop.simple-engineering.com/product.sc?productId=4&categoryId=3 Actually if you are having heating problems above 35 mph the main fan is cut off by the computer. If you are having heating problems below 35 mph you probably have a faulty fan and need to replace.

Jack

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,071 Posts
Jack is right about the control box and the little fan. I'd be willing to bet that the main fan is one of mine as well.

"Running Hot" is a relative term. The SSR system is designed to operate between 195 and 226 as a "normal" temperature range.

There is a calibration procedure for the Auxiliary Fan on your truck. I can provide the installation instructions to you that have the calibration instructions included.

With an Auxiliary Fan installed and calibrated, your truck should never see temperature swings. We can do some simple testing to see that it is operating properly. Call me on my cell.... 480-225-2123 and I will walk you through it.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jack I need to do a little more investigation, it is behind the radiator. runs about 210-215 but rises to about 220. Will be in the 80's next week.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
crawled under just now and it has a front small fan also. Will talk next week. i'll get it hot and find out what works and what doesn't.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Reactions: BlueStreak
1 - 8 of 8 Posts