Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. Went to the dealer yesterday, and wanted to purchase another module for the R, but was stymied by the shear number of schematics the parts person was paging through and nothing looked what I needed. My description of the module didn't come with a part number to narrow down.
The module is located within the cockpit and under the drivers side of the dash. Just above where your left foot rests. I've unknowingly bumped/kicked the module and it fell to the floor from its insert point. This affected some of the systems, but not all. It seems that the module has again fallen from its insert point and I can't find it.
Any idea of what its called, or a part number? :purple:

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Not sure how much help this will be, but in the Technical Discussion section of the Forums, AutoProf has a post with the listings of all the Modules for the 03/04 and the 05/06. You might see what Your trying too identify there.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Question. Went to the dealer yesterday, and wanted to purchase another module for the R, but was stymied by the shear number of schematics the parts person was paging through and nothing looked what I needed. My description of the module didn't come with a part number to narrow down.
The module is located within the cockpit and under the drivers side of the dash. Just above where your left foot rests. I've unknowingly bumped/kicked the module and it fell to the floor from its insert point. This affected some of the systems, but not all. It seems that the module has again fallen from its insert point and I can't find it.
Any idea of what its called, or a part number? :purple:
More information would be helpful
What systems do not work with module unplugged?
How many wires are connected to it?
What size is it?

Not sure how much help this will be, but in the Technical Discussion section of the Forums, AutoProf has a post with the listings of all the Modules for the 03/04 and the 05/06. You might see what Your trying too identify there.
As noted by others -- there are other things that GM considers a module - my list is just for modules that communicate on the multiplex network.
Another example - GM's technical term for the Turn signal flasher -is:

Turn Signal/ Hazard flasher MODULE. It is not down by your foot but in the cabin on drivers side -- see pics

SORRY< Picture wold not post!!!!

Attachments

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,276 Posts
I'm wondering if he knocked off the terminator (comb) for the class 2 data bus, not really a module though, but in the vicinity described up behind the DLC.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
That is the only thing that I can see in the area above my left foot, but it should still be there as it is attached too a cable/wire . maybe dangling somewhere up or behind kick panel?

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
There is no factory "Module" located in that area.
A photo of the so called "Module" would be very helpful.

It is not the Comb of the serial data bus, as mentioned above, the "R" will not function with the Comb disconnected.
I think xoxoxoBruce is on the right track - an after market device.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm certain its not an aftermarket addition - bought the R new and made no mods. Its not dangling from its insert point. First time it fell off was approx 2 years ago - while driving and at night. I don't recall exactly which system(s) were affected, but I recall it got my attention so I pulled off the hi-way and began to trouble shoot (more like being confounded) and that's when I discovered the small "module" lying down in the foot-well - plugged it back in and viola! This time, I have no idea when it fell from its insert point, or how it became lost.
I'm going back to the dealer (they have an R for sale at one of their branches) and I'm going to ask my local Service Mgr to contact the other branch Service Mgr to go to the R for sale and and do an inspection - pull the thing off, and see if their is a part number, etc.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,684 Posts
Module Near Kick Panel

There is no factory "Module" located in that area.
A photo of the so called "Module" would be very helpful.

It is not the Comb of the serial data bus, as mentioned above, the "R" will not function with the Comb disconnected.
I think xoxoxoBruce is on the right track - an after market device.

Another fanatic discovered an aftermarket control box loosely mounted in that area on his SSR and it turned out to be a combination alarm/motion sensor that does have several interfaces with existing SSR electrical systems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, I'm the guy with a bad battery (see new member section) and I haven't replaced it yet, but plan to do so tomorrow. Then, I'll hopefully be able to start it up and maybe I'll be able to see what system(s) do not function without the "module."

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Ronglo, was the "insert point" a receptacle on a wire bundle or a hard mounted point?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not a module after all

Finally put in a replacement battery and the R started and no other issues detected. Took the R to the dealer and the service4 manager / parts manager says this is a tech 2 connection for plug in for diagnostics and that the "missing" piece is the cover with no connections. Apparently, my issue several years ago was not caused by the cover falling off, but was coincidental to some other unexplained issue that resolved itself. Sorry for all the apparent misinformation.
Thanks to all for trying to assist.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts
Finally put in a replacement battery and the R started and no other issues detected. Took the R to the dealer and the service4 manager / parts manager says this is a tech 2 connection for plug in for diagnostics and that the "missing" piece is the cover with no connections. Apparently, my issue several years ago was not caused by the cover falling off, but was coincidental to some other unexplained issue that resolved itself. Sorry for all the apparent misinformation.
Thanks to all for trying to assist.
So we all learned something without pictures.
Happy to hear your problems are solved and you are back on the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts