Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I have ever really posted on here.

I have '05 Aqua Blur SSR with the auto transmission and it is a dream!

Every since I first drove it off the lot I wanted MORE power! So I started looking into the superchargers and was really dismayed at the price of them. Hey just because I bought an SSR doesn't mean I can afford ALL the accessories...RIGHT?

So when looking at how they work and what they don't I started wondering why does it have to be attached to the engine like that? Why can't it be a stand alone electric motor doing that work?

So I googled 'electric supercharger' and eventually found www.boosthead.com

Thomas Knight builds electric superchargers that run off an extra battery or set of batteries, these provide the current for the electric motor that runs his superchargers. You don't need to dismantle the engine! PLUS they don't cost $7k

So 8 months ago I emailed him asking if he could make one for a 6.0 liter and he replied to check back in Feb. Which I did and he has a few pre production units for sale for $1,295.00 (you have to send him an email so he can send you a paypal request, or use check/cc)

I'm wondering what input you have about this? Another question would be, since this doesn't involve taking any parts OFF your engine at all, does this keep your warranty intact?)

I know ahead of time that they battery pack I'll have made will go in the bed or under the bed, the unit can also go in the bed and I'll run aluminum pipe from that to the intake with a Y valve fitted with one way for when the ESC isn't in use.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I saw a video where a couple of guys got 40 HP out of a leaf blower but you don't see people putting those on engines. I have a hard time believing this is anything more then a cleaver way to take your hard earned cash. The extra weight of batteries and the ability of the electric motor to keep up with the engine at higher rpms is doubtful. The electric motor will stay at the same speed constantly where as the engine will have increased needs while the rpms rise.

·
Registered
590 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
I saw a video where a couple of guys got 40 HP out of a leaf blower but you don't see people putting those on engines.
Is there a particular leaf blower that works better than others:glol

·
Registered
374 Posts
Whenever some online company says

They no longer take credit cards or Paypal, it's because they got too many charge backs from unhappy customers who contacted their credit card company or Paypal to dispute a charge. Usually because the vendor wouldn't refund their money.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
STS makes a very reasonably priced turbo setup, it is rear mounted. The biggest problems comes from over-boosting in freezing temperatures. Condensation buildup that freezes in the boost controller lines lets the system over-boost and can cause some serious damage. For the people in warmer climates this is not a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies so far.

Talking with Thomas: With the size of the 6.0 the electric motor needs more juice so a few more batteries will provide the neccesary power to get the motor to put out between 15 and 25HP to generate the 4 - 7 PSI for boosting.

What is a good (read safe: as in 'not going to blow my motor up) amount of boost for the 6.0?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Zex_Suik said:
thanks for the replies so far.

Talking with Thomas: With the size of the 6.0 the electric motor needs more juice so a few more batteries will provide the neccesary power to get the motor to put out between 15 and 25HP to generate the 4 - 7 PSI for boosting.

What is a good (read safe: as in 'not going to blow my motor up) amount of boost for the 6.0?

found this article....mentions the Knight system and others:
http://www.gaprojects.com/supercharger/electric.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's HERE!

So I went out on a limb and ordered the Electric Supercharger and it made it today!

It's huge and heavy and looks quite dreamy. I can't wait to install it.

I'll come back later with pictures, dimensions, weight and see what ideas we can come up with on where to mount it.

I'm sooo excited.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Silly...

Once I get this supercharger on...there might be other thoughts in mind lol

I'm wondering if Jim G has any pointers before I start working on it.

I.E. dyno test as is, change ratio, dyno test again, install supercharger, dyno test again. Send results of all 3 dyno tests to Jim G because he's kinky with those numbers :)

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Zex_Suik: You are not going to like this response, but you asked, so I am providing it.

This is a bad idea, and a good way to destroy a very expensive engine. Someone unscrupulous has taken advantage of your lack of technical knowledge.

This is:

- an unproven idea (You are the guinea pig)

- NOT a full kit, but rather simply a bare "supercharger" (if it actually works properly as one in practice, which I doubt)

- something that would require about $10k of shop time to ENGINEER and develop into a real installed kit IF it ever really works.

Whjat you have staretd here takes someone VERY experienced to even TRY to make it work. Unless you own a performance shop, you are not realistically equipped to do this.

I am going to advise that you try to get a refund and do what the rest of The World is doing, because the rest of The World has already paid in time AND money for all the experimentation that resulted in the Magnacharger kit. THAT kit is well engineered, really works, and is NOT expensive when viewed on a results per dollar spent basis. Any pro who looks at it recongizes that right away.

Trust me on this. Avoid the unnecessary cost and pain. Unfortunately, I'm serious.

Jim G

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I don"t recomemnd even the STS kit for SSRs, as they have NOT engineered a kit for the SSR specifically. The labor, experimentaiton, and risks, are just too high compared to the Magnuson, plus the turbo won't make the low end power that the Magnuson does.

Jim G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts