Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 5.3
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, sorry to do this in my first ever post.
I'm a relatively new SSR owner in the UK having had my 2004 about a month.
About two weeks ago I had an issue where at ignition and start up, my dash would only show the ABS and Airbag light (both on solidly without the airbag flasing - before and after starting). That has now progressed and at start sometimes I get just those lights, other times I get all of the lights showing, sometimes random combinations of lights that show and finally I just get the battery light, that stays on for a while even after the truck is shut off. There are other elements too, such as the dash light dimming not working - it's just all odd.
If I leave the truck awhile and come back to it often it returns to normal, only to go crazy again if then left for a few days.
It seems to drive OK regardless of the lights. The transmission may be very slightly hesitant out of first, but it is so hard to say as I've not had it long at all.
I've checked the fuses - which on first inspection seem OK.
I added a post on Facebook and was told TCM or ABS, I wondered if anyone had any other ideas. Also advice on getting help in the UK would be really helpful too. Thanks

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,816 Posts
About two weeks ago I had an issue where at ignition and start up, my dash would only show the ABS and Airbag light (both on solidly without the airbag flasing - before and after starting). That has now progressed and at start sometimes I get just those lights, other times I get all of the lights showing, sometimes random combinations of lights that show and finally I just get the battery light, that stays on for a while even after the truck is shut off. There are other elements too, such as the dash light dimming not working - it's just all odd.
If I leave the truck awhile and come back to it often it returns to normal, only to go crazy again if then left for a few days.
It seems to drive OK regardless of the lights. The transmission may be very slightly hesitant out of first, but it is so hard to say as I've not had it long at all.
I added a post on Facebook and was told TCM or ABS, I wondered if anyone had any other ideas. Also advice on getting help in the UK would be really helpful too. Thanks
It appears that you have more than one gremlin playing in your electrical system. Pretty easy to sort out two of them.....

First: Get a scanner on the system and discover what codes are stored in your computer system. This will greatly help troubleshooting.

Second: Your random lights and the battery light after shutdown is symptomatic of a failing ignition switch. It's an easy fix and may clear up a lot of things. Clear all codes in the system AFTER you change the ignition switch. See what returns.....

Third: The ABS light may be indicating a failing EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module). If that is the case, there are people who can repair it for you, including a commercial organization in Atlanta, Georgia. Do not do this until you have competed the previous two items...... It may be just the ignition switch causing the issue.

Transmissions hesitant out of first may just be your perception, but have it checked. It could be a symptom of something that needs attention, or it could just need a minor tweak. The 2004 does not have a TCM. The transmission software resides in the engine computer. This is robust electronics and should not give you any trouble.

The SSR rides on a GMT360 chassis. This is common to the Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Buick Rainier, Olds Bravada, SAAB 9-7X and Isuzu Ascender. An assortment of drivetrains with the 5.3 in some of them and the 6.0 in the Trailblazer SS and SAAB 9-7X Aero. You may find a SAAB dealer in the UK that has some experience with the Aero.....

I don't put much faith in what I see on Facebook. There are some idiots out there that will lead you down the garden path................ There are not enough hours in the day to spend correcting their mis-information.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,341 Posts

·
Registered
2004 5.3
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. I have checked the fuses, will check all the grounds, alternator and the battery over the next few days - but have ordered an ignition switch from Rock Auto that should be here within a week.
Have also been trying to find someone who can read the error codes, so far no luck, so might have to buy myself a reader to have one to hand. Any advice on those is welcome.
There is only one place in the UK that seem happy to repair the ABS, but at least I have found somewhere as I was beginning to get worried.
Have loved SSR ownership so far after a C4 Corvette and a Dodge Challenger previously - so really hoping I can get it all sorted and enjoy the sunshine!
Will update you in a few days.

·
Registered
2004 5.3
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, nothing there other than the lights on the dash. It's odd they are there from when I turn to ignition, so I already know if there's a problem before I start it up. Although that said I've been out in it today, and it was perfect, no errors at all.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
14,385 Posts
I would start with ignition switch, you have 04, OEM switches were not the best.

Second, ground on cluster.

Both easy to do and on my SSR How to Library

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Good luck Roser, FYI my ignition switch caused all kinds of erratic stuff and nearly all were corrected when I replaced the switch, I can't imagine dealing with these issues "across the pond" as they say.

Reactions: richsadams

·
Registered
2004 5.3
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would start with ignition switch, you have 04, OEM switches were not the best.

Second, ground on cluster.

Both easy to do and on my SSR How to Library

Dicktator
Hi Dicktator, where is the cluster ground? I'm not with the vehicle now, but am trying to work out where this is from the pictures provided. Thanks so much, Rob

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,816 Posts
Hi Dicktator, where is the cluster ground? I'm not with the vehicle now, but am trying to work out where this is from the pictures provided. Thanks so much, Rob
Cluster ground is above the power brake booster in the engine compartment. There is a vertical stud mounted to the overhanging cowl, just inboard of the booster.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,341 Posts
Like Mike said---and, IF you can see the pictures in post #7, the last 4 are of it.

Nick

·
Registered
2004 5.3
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all, finally found a reader to get an error code. I got u1000. All of posts Ive read say this is a comms code are can be hard to diagnose and need a dealer scanner. As I cannot get this done in the UK, I wondered if there were any other suggestions? Is it still best to change the ignition switch? Thanks

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
4,250 Posts
Yes the ignition switch COULD cause the BCM to not recieve the proper voltage, thus causing the code.
I would also suggest checking the comb bus connection on the class 2 network.

Search the site for more information also on Dicktator one drive and simple engineering website. 03 and 04 have come loose, engine will run but will have warning lights, gauges will be inoperable (tach and Speedo function) but usually it also causes unknown driver displayed in DIC.

·
Registered
2004 5.3
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all, in danger of being the longest post ever - sorry.

I've just got the SSR back from the garage and they have cleared the error now, all the grounds are good and as a further detail the drive home was fine.

Looking at what they did though, they completed a battery health check and found only 490 cca capacity on the battery. I know I'm new to SSRs, but my first though was that was far to low. Can anyone confirm if that is normal?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
While waiting for a new ignition switch . you can remove the old one and file the points . there are three sets of point on it . just like the old distributer type . they do score a bit some time .use a point file and clean them up it may help till you get a new one . Simple Engineering in Arizona has every thing you need . He is on the web

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
14,385 Posts
While waiting for a new ignition switch . you can remove the old one and file the points . there are three sets of point on it . just like the old distributer type . they do score a bit some time .use a point file and clean them up it may help till you get a new one . Simple Engineering in Arizona has every thing you need . He is on the web
Not quite that easy but yes you can clean the ignition switch points.

There are 5 (FIVE) sets of points. The problem with filing them is they are talking to a computer, not always the best results. Three on one side and two on the other side.

Dicktator
Analog watch Bumper Jewellery Belt buckle Strap
Circuit component Electronic component Cable Fashion accessory Composite material

1 - 19 of 19 Posts