Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I are taking a trip, we are riding down the interstate and all of the sudden the drivers window goes down, I thought I must have hit the switch so I put it back up 5 miles down the road it went down again, now I know I didn’t hit the switch but this time the switch wouldn’t work at all. A quick call to dicktator and he reminded me when you cycle the roof up it will close the windows. ( THANKS DICKTATOR, YOUR THE MAN ) anyway after that 20 miles or so the window goes down and I use the roof switch to close it. By the way it’s raining, down the road a couple hundred miles there is a smell in the cab that smells like something hot like electrical. Stopped and checked things out, even the fuse box behind the seat nothing felt hot, so we went on, over the next 200 miles we smelled the hot smell a couple more times. If anyone has any insight about this problem I sure would appreciate the help because I don’t have a clue. ( I hope I make it back home)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
572 Posts
The Roof Door Module controls the windows.

Temporary steps to help you get back home,
Lower both windows enough so the window does not bind in the seals (about 3/8")
Go to the rear fuse box and remove RDM breaker 1 and breaker 2 and Fuse 28 and Fuse 47.
This will disable the RDM & windows.
If the burning smell stops - your RDM may have been cooking.
Let me know what happens.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,886 Posts
Is the smell continued after window stopped working on its own. Is it possible the smell is lessening but you were more sensitive to any odor.
I say this because my window switch failed and like you I was approaching heavy rain. I used the power top switch to cycle window up. Turns out the contact in the switch the became dislocated and caused problems.
I never experienced an odor though.
Did you stop open doors and let odor and everything cool down?
Does the indexing feature of drivers side window motor function?
 

·
Ex SoCal Nut
Joined
·
9,931 Posts
? the "Pepsi Syndrome" in the console window switch ?
 

·
Tech Support/Research
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Window Problem and Burning Smell

It could be possible that the window wiring between the body and the door could have a broken internal connection, which could cause the window to operate intermittently. Multiple broken wires in the harness from fatigue failure might touch each other and create the burning smell, although it would dissipate quickly after those wires shorted out or blew a fuse.

There have been reports of fried/burned auxiliary gauges so if you have them installed you could check those for proper operation- and for heat on the pod. They are usually pretty easy to disconnect at the connector under the gauges/carpet.

And be sure to check the bed connector to the cargo light if you have one- those have been known to burn and cause fires. Pull fuse #40 in the rear fuse box to disconnect that circuit.

Yellow Bear also provides a good lead that the switch contacts on the console may be dirty or gotten wet at some time from a drink spill and corroded the contacts.
 

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
Joined
·
4,392 Posts
Depends how far you are from home, it may be a good idea to do what "Ed in Fl" said in post #4!!! IT is easy and may prevent you from getting stuck away form home.

Nick
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top