Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2004 auto trans
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some posts about this, but am still having problems. Dead battery nite before last (@ 3:30 AM no less!). Replaced battery - now windows immobile, door lock switch not working, AC compressor not working, battery warning, ABS and brake lites on on the dash. Pulled RDM fuse 28, replaced in 15 min - no help. This is a 2004 automatic. Will sure appreciate any help! - Susan

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
:unsure:
I would first have the (new) battery checked out plus ensure the connections from it were solid and secured.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
3,028 Posts
Clean up on aisle 04 @Autoprof . That should get Marks attention and he will be along to help. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,040 Posts
@Redtruckdream Susan, Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Then go to the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. New Member Section

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,406 Posts
Was there an attempt at jump starting? If so the 125 amp fuse underhood fuse may be blown.

If thats good.

I would also recommend a master reset. Remove both battery cables and touch together for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Next try testing all fuses with key on engine off using a test light or voltmeter.
List fuse location and number that has no voltage on both sides (some will be normal). Any fuses with voltage on one side only sre blown and need replaced.

I will respond with some ideas after you post results.

I think replacing ignition switch without testing would be a waste of time and money. Door locks should still function.

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,287 Posts
Ed knows because we just had R with similar problems and Ed went to the 125amp and it was blown. Replaced and functions came back.

125 amp fuse is protection and power for rear fuse box.

Dicktator

Negative Battery cable needs to be "cleaned" or replaced.

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,287 Posts
How to Jump.

Dicktator

Small RED wire closes to fender is BATTERY! GRD is alternator bracket marked by GM.

GROUND completes the circuit!

Larger RED wire closes to engine is to the REAR fuse box with a 125 amp fuse connection.

DO NOT USE RED WIRE TO REAR FUSE BOX FOR JUMP!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 auto trans
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your help! 9 volts on both sides of 125A fuse. We started it the 1st time with jumper cables. The next morning jumping would't start it, so replaced the battery. I'm headed out now to check all the fuses, as suggested.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,406 Posts
NOTE -- I have been told the 125 fuse may test ok, but still be bad.
So some may just recommend replacing just to be sure.

If possible turn on some accessories from the rear fuse box while testing the 125 amp fuse. This will get current flowing across the fuse to perform a "stress test" on it.
If fuse tests ok - repeat test under the following conditions -- key on engine off, radio on, lights on and rear defroster on -- then repeat test.
These are devices that are wired from the rear fuse box that can be turned and will stay on. Other circuits would require two people - example test the 125 amp fuse while somebody is trying to operate power windows, power seats, etc.

If you find its bad and/or tests OK I would really like to have the bad fuse.
I would be willing to pay for shipping and a little extra to cover your time and effort.

·
Registered
2004 auto trans
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got in from testing the under hood fuses with key on, but engine off - all OK. But -- now engine won't turn over and trickle charger reads "bad battery". Getting the feeling I'm over my head - thanks everyone for your help - hoping the new battery will take a charge.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,406 Posts
@Redtruckdream I assume battery charger is connected under the hood.
1st Check battery cable connections --- the negative cable is a pain to get started and tightened properly. Even an 1/8 of turn on the bolts without TOO much force makes a world of difference.
2nd check ground cable connections where it connects to the body and frame of the SSR

Was the 9 volts at the 125 amp fuse AFTER new battery?
This indicates defective new battery, bad cable connections or a drain on the battery.
The last one would allow you to charge the battery.

·
Registered
2004 auto trans
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 9 V was about a day after installing the new battery. When 1st installed, the truck started easily. I didn't start it today when I got the 9V readings. Now the battery's reading 4.4 V. Some history: we bought the truck last Dec and there was a delay picking it up because the dealer had to replace the battery - he put a minimum cost generic battery in. We just put an Optima red-top in. I'll crawl under and check the ground connections. Seems like there's a short somewhere draining the battery. Wonder if the different things not functioning is due to different minimum voltage requirements for them.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,406 Posts
Wonder if the different things not functioning is due to different minimum voltage requirements for them.
This is most likely what is happening - however a blown 125 amp would be suspect if you can get it running and they are still not operating.

Sometimes when an Optima battery is drained TOO low it will not take a charge easily from some chargers. You can try and jump start CORRECTLY and check operation. Then after allowing it to run try again to recharge battery.

Question becomes - why if only sitting a few days did the battery drain down.
Answer: Bad battery or parasitic draw.
How long was it able to sit with the old battery, before you had to replace it or had issues.

·
Registered
2004 auto trans
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Purchased early last Dec. No problems until the wee hours of last Sat it wouldn't turn over and key locked in place. We successfully jumped it, using recommended jump connections. Dead the next day and would not turn over with jump. Started right away with new battery - that was yesterday. Wish I tried to start it this morning but didn't. So after checking fuses with ignition on but engine off, it was dead. Can't tell if drain on battery was due to ignition being on or something else.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
689 Posts
I would take the new AGM battery back to whomever you purchased it from and have them ascertain it has a FULL charge. @Autoprof 's comment on charging is my biggest beef against all AGMs, one of which Optima is. If you buy one & it has been sitting on the shelf & lost charge you have a problem. Below a certain threshold they can be impossible to charge with most home chargers and some older commercial chargers. My preference are very high quality lead/acid batteries, usually cheaper to boot. However they all have liquid within the battery if that is a concern. It should not be on an SSR.
my $.02

·
Registered
2004 auto trans
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Battery voltage is still dropping while key locked in ignition switch and charger attached - doesn't seem like a good sigm - will return battery to Autozone tomorrow and have them check it out.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
The proper (and sometimes ONLY way) to charge an Optima is to hook a known good battery in parallel with it, then charge both batteries with a quality battery charger or tender.

As stated above, Optima batteries will not charge when they fall below a certain voltage. Paralleling it to another good battery before attempting to charge it is the proper way to prevent this.

However, some Optima batteries will simply refuse a charge and the plastic case will swell up and deform. And, if you don't catch it (and keep trying to charge it), they eventually explode. There are some neat YouTube videos of this.

Modern Optimas suck @$$, btw.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,406 Posts
Battery voltage is still dropping while key locked in ignition switch and charger attached - doesn't seem like a good sigm - will return battery to Autozone tomorrow and have them check it out.
Its not really a bad sign either. Do not worry.
The solenoid to allow the lock cylinder to return to the off/remove key position requires approx 12 volts to energize allowing you to remove key.

If you are even a least bit concerned of a problem developing and because you plan on removing battery anyway, you can disconnect the battery negative cable this evening. Nothing will change after that and you can rest without worry.

There is also a way to manually remove key. It does require removal of the lower plastic cover below steering wheel.

As is, i do not feel there are any safety concerns.

Be sure to let us know how things turn out. Its terrible that you are having these issues after a long wait. Be patient, as there are plenty of members here willing and able to help.

·
Registered
2004 auto trans
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its not really a bad sign either. Do not worry.
The solenoid to allow the lock cylinder to return to the off/remove key position requires approx 12 volts to energize allowing you to remove key.

If you are even a least bit concerned of a problem developing and because you plan on removing battery anyway, you can disconnect the battery negative cable this evening. Nothing will change after that and you can rest without worry.

There is also a way to manually remove key. It does require removal of the lower plastic cover below steering wheel.

As is, i do not feel there are any safety concerns.

Be sure to let us know how things turn out. Its terrible that you are having these issues after a long wait. Be patient, as there are plenty of members here willing and able to help.
I am vary gratified by everyone's efforts to help us - we'll keep you informed as we seek the answer to this puzzle. We love our SSR and though one family member is "OK" with moving on without it, that's out of the question!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts