Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The fun starts now!
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever considered converting the emergency brake activation to electric push button like most the new cars have.
Then, remove the brake lever. Remove the council and modify it by filling the void where the lever was which would widen the console. Would make for a nice wide armrest and maybe even a cup holder or two.
Just sharing thoughts.
JimmyD05

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,457 Posts
Has anyone ever considered converting the emergency brake activation to electric push button like most the new cars have.
Then, remove the brake lever. Remove the council and modify it by filling the void where the lever was which would widen the console. Would make for a nice wide armrest and maybe even a cup holder or two.
Just sharing thoughts.
JimmyD05
More Electronics to go wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
Just sharing thoughts.
JimmyD05

@JimmyD05 -- It is not an emergency brake. Auto manufactures haven't use this term since they were sued a number of years ago. :nono If you apply quickly in an emergency situation it will cause the rear wheels to lock up and force you into an uncontrolled skid. It is designed to be used when parking to prevent the car from creeping.
I know how to apply the parking brake slowly to use in an emergency situation and would personally not want to loose that ability even though I could probably make the push button one work.

Its somewhat the same reason they don't call the panel that separates the engine compartment from the passenger compartment a firewall anymore. It called a bulkhead.
Why change the name? They got sued - a firewall is supposed to stop a fire - when a fire spread into the passenger compartment on a car with a "firewall", the firewall didn't do its job somebody got burned - and auto manufacture was then found liable for the damages. You could say then "they got burned":glol

·
Daily Driver
8,948 Posts
First off, is it an emergency brake or a parking brake?
For a parking brake a push button is acceptable in most cases.
However in an emergency you might not have power to activate the brake.

But the bottom line is always, it's your truck so do whatever blows your skirt up. :thumbs

·
Super Moderator
13,974 Posts
I have never had the nerve to try it, but yarding on the eBrake going into a controlled skid?
Anyway, not for me!

My skirt is barely knee high

·
Spirited driver!
1,586 Posts
I accidentally applied the parking brake on my Cadillac once (it is located on the center console right where the window buttons are for the SSR and I had been driving the R a lot). It made a hell of a lot of racket and did not slow the vehicle much. I DO NOT recommend it. :crying:

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts

·
The fun starts now!
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amazing, all I asked for was thoughts about what I was thinking about and ended up with a lesson on the difference between an emergency brake and parking brake is. Thanks so much.
Thanks dragon2u for the great feedback. I had research before listing my post, there are some canned systems that will fill the bill. For me it’s more about gaining the space the PARKING BRAKE lever takes up. Still fishing for feedback.
Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just a thought, I recently found out that some companies make a removable panel that have two cupholders and a coin tray. It evidently fits right over the parking brake, (given your truck is an Automatic.)
This would solve your problem and you wouldn't need to mess with any wiring or mechanical work if you didn't want to.
Again, just a thought.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
I have a used unit out of a jaguar to put in my 57 Chevy to make it street legal. Cost me $60 from the junkyard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts