Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience of why my SSR is throwing an emissions code. Battery was replaced about 100 miles ago and need to do emissions test but now has evaporative code. Will it pass with a code on it? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks Jeff

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Wouldn't pass in PA with any codes, doubt if WI will let it slide. What are the PO code showing?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response, I’m new on reading the codes just got a BlueDriver code reader for my birthday basically code says evaporative not ready. Does that mean I need to drive it more after changing battery? Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Thanks for your response, I’m new on reading the codes just got a BlueDriver code reader for my birthday basically code says evaporative not ready. Does that mean I need to drive it more after changing battery? Jeff
Yes, drive it more. Evap system has not completed self test. One of the enable criteria for it to run the test is, fuel level must be between 15% and 85%. Might need to add fuel, don't fill all the way, or drive quite a bit if you have a full tank.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,686 Posts
Emissions DTC

Here is the short version of what is likely happening since you said you recently replaced your battery. Since that time the emissions sensors have not been cycled enough to be ready for a successful emissions test. The emissions sensors all need to be in a “ready” state before a complete emissions test can be run. In some states all have to be ready, in others the majority have to be ready. Otherwise they will issue a failure report.

The service manuals contain a very specific drive cycle to restore the system to “ready,” or individual parts of the system to ready, based on the code. In the case of an Evap code, you will have to repeat the drive cycle several times, each 17 hours apart, before that system will be ready for test. The Evap system has to go through several cycles to test it for leaks, thus the need for multiple drive cycles.

Some techs will advise to just drive the vehicle for a week or x number of miles, which accomplishes the same thing albeit without the precision of the drive cycle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for input. 80 degrees up here today so good excuse to put the top down n drive! Only had back on road about a month after repairing accident damage, needs paint yet but drives fine, has a rebuilt title but then I don’t have a ton of $ in it.
Jeff

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,397 Posts
jeff, "Not ready"----besides city stop and go, get on the highway 40 or so miles, a little around town and 40 miles back.

Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts